BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
BBLuvr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Unlocked Storm for Sprint...Possible?

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know if it will be possible for someone to unlock the upcoming Storm to use with Sprint?

Sprint 8330
OS 4.5.0.77
Old 09-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Nope !
Old 09-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

Negative.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

I wouldn't be so rash with the "No" word. I know people that have flashed Verizon devices to Sprint, or even Cricket. It's labor intensive but I wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibility.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
I wouldn't be so rash with the "No" word. I know people that have flashed Verizon devices to Sprint, or even Cricket. It's labor intensive but I wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibility.
We are giving the real world answer. Not the you need to get a friend at RIM who can take your device, has access to very secret and protected devices, flash the ROM, not be terminated, get your device back. Then go to Sprint, talk them into letting the device on the network, etc.

The answer is NO.

Me and many others would love to have you prove me wrong. This is not a Razr
Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Lord Chrispin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: EALECTOMY
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
We are giving the real world answer. Not the you need to get a friend at RIM who can take your device, has access to very secret and protected devices, flash the ROM, not be terminated, get your device back. Then go to Sprint, talk them into letting the device on the network, etc.

The answer is NO.

Me and many others would love to have you prove me wrong. This is not a Razr
I concur
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
As you didn't bother to provide real world examples of precisely how one would go about doing this, your answer may as well have been no also.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
StuartV

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBLuvr View Post
Does anyone know if it will be possible for someone to unlock the upcoming Storm to use with Sprint?
Yes.
Verizon 9550
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
StuartV

Model: 9550

ps. In fact, I bet multiple people at RIM know if that will be possible.
Verizon 9550
Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Yes.
Okay, lets here it............
Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

It can be done with the right kind of tools. We all saw that iPhone be hacked, the same kind of thing...
Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
As you didn't bother to provide real world examples of precisely how one would go about doing this, your answer may as well have been no also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
Okay, lets here it............
This program helps with CDMA flashing if you will. Welcome to BitPim

After a bit of research. It's possible to flash a device from Sprint/Verizon to Cricket.

Reprogramming other CDMA carrier phones to Cricket - Cricket Phone Talk

It has been done with another CDMA carrier before and isn't a RAZR. PPC-6700s and other smartphones have been flashed as well.

Who knows if the PIN will still work or the other issues you may encounter becuase of the proprietary software of a BlackBerry, but we're not hacking the API's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by BBSwany; 09-23-2008 at 07:01 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
This program helps with CDMA flashing if you will. Welcome to BitPim
Um Bitpim does not FLASH, nor do anything with flashing.

It does allow some file system access on CDMA phones, but... I would expect the RIM OS to be different enough that it will give BitPim some problems. (I never did try bitpim with my VZW Pearl or Curve)

Quote:
After a bit of research. It's possible to flash a device from Sprint/Verizon to Cricket.

Reprogramming other CDMA carrier phones to Cricket - Cricket Phone Talk

It has been done with another CDMA carrier before and isn't a RAZR. PPC-6700s and other smartphones have been flashed as well.
Yes, I know that you can flash Moto and LG phones, edit their configs and make them work. You can flash Moto phones with firmware for other carriers and make them work on Verizon (like my V3C running Alltel firmware, my V9M running US Cellular firmware)

For "dumb phones" or "feature phones" Sprint's system uses different data authentication settings, so you can't use, say VZW's firmware on a phone and make that fully work on Sprints network, or vice versa. (i.e. can't make a Sprint V9M fully work on VZW's network)

PPC/WinMobile devices can also be done. (like my Verizon/VX6900/aka HTC Touch running Alltel firmware)

But show me similar posts taking a CDMA blackberry and using it on a different carrier....

that I haven't seen, and would go to the heart of the OP.

Additionally, you have the issue of Will the other carrier accept the ESN/MEID of the foreign device? Some carriers will not.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #14
stryker92v

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Cool Unlocked CDMA phones

I'm sure everyone says they work for (X Company). However, I am a long-time employee of Sprint corporate 5+ years.

That said, enough with the talk of unlocked phones for Verizon/Sprint. Here is the most simple and accurate answer:

Even if you COULD unlock/flash a CDMA phone, you simply CANNOT import the Electronic Serial Numbers (ESN) under the battery. Cricket has a system setup where you can take any flashed to Cricket CDMA phone and they will import the ESN of your phone in their network's list of valid ESN's.

Sprint and Verizon do NOT import ESN's of "foreign phones" into their database at this time. There are always those stories where people say they've done it, and I'd say 99% of them are bogus. The only way you could in theory do this, would to be to know someone who works in the department of Verizon/Sprint that handles entering ESN's into the database. As a long time employee, I would have no clue who to contact. Either way, it would have to be a friend of a friend kind of thing, as company policy of both companies state that they do not import ESN's.

Hope this finally clears this matter up.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Sprint and Verizon esn databases are simply not true. As with flashing the bb I would think that it will be possible. The thing is rim makes the phones and flashes them 2 start off with, but all phone can be reflashed with the right software. Now whether or not the software will be available or not is another story. As far as esn databases, I have never had a problem flashing an alltel phone to be used on verizon. So I would have to say you are full of bull on that one.

As for what I understand this is how a bb works. Pin and software are carrier independant. That is why you can upgrade to 4.5 by using a sprint software on an alltel phone. Now the vendor xml is probably just a file that double checks against the phone to make sure it can upgrade.

Now knowing that that means that the only difference between phones is the vendor's flash file. So i say if you can flash one vendors file to the phone everything will work. I would say that the pin and bb stuff will work cause those actually go through rims servers and have nothing to do with your carrier.

Now all this is just assumption, but I will definatly be looking into it when they are finally released.

But I know if I could get it flashed i could use the phone on Alltels system. Refurb sites have been cross flashing for years. So it can be done. The only reason its harder for cdma vs gsm is because cdma stores all the roaming agreements between carriers, etc on the phone. Gsm stores it on a sim card.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

With RIM's legendary security I would wager this will not happen outside of the labs of major telcos. And they're only doing it to put their own ROMs onto the devices. No, it's not possible to do this yourself.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

To be clear NO you can not! If you want the Storm that bad move to Verizon or wait until Sprint gets something.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thackstonns View Post
Sprint and Verizon esn databases are simply not true.
Actually... It is true.. Verizon and Sprint maintain an ESN/MEID database. If the phone you wish to activate is not in their database, you can't activate it on their service unless it can be added to their database.

It can be done, but its rare and extremely difficult.

There are a many who ran into this trying to get Sprint, Telus and Alltel Moto V9M's activated on their Verizon accounts, even AFTER flashing with a Verizon Moto V9M monster flash file. The Phone's ESN/MEID wasn't in Verizon's database, so Verizon didn't allow the phone on their network.

Oh, and this ESN/MEID database is what identifies what model phone you have to the carrier, and also is what is responsible for why you can't activate a phone that has been reported Lost/Stolen, is still tied to an account with an unpaid balance, is a PrePay Phone, or has been reported for replacement by their insurance company (like Asurion).
Quote:
As with flashing the bb I would think that it will be possible. The thing is rim makes the phones and flashes them 2 start off with, but all phone can be reflashed with the right software.
I really don't think you understand how RIM makes Blackberries.
Quote:
...I have never had a problem flashing an alltel phone to be used on verizon. So I would have to say you are full of bull on that one.
Again, DUMB PHONES and Windows Mobile are COMPLETELY different from Blackberries.

Yes, you can cross flash CDMA Dumb Phones and Windows Mobile phones, assuming you have the right tools, and the right flash file. In the case of Moto's, if you don't use a flash that is compatible with the boot loader on the phone, you will likely fry the phone, or at a minimum the phone will be in need of recovery.

And there are some alltel, and AMP'd ESN's that over lap into Verizon's pool (we've seen this with V3C, V3M and E816 phones). Those lucky enough to have one of those ESN's that over lap (are in both DB's) can activate it on either carrier.

I have an Amp'd Moto E816 like this. I can activate it on Verizon, it shows in their DB as Moto E815.
Quote:
Now all this is just assumption...
When you have the FACTS, you will see, the answer many have given of.... NO YOU CAN NOT... is the correct answer.
Quote:
...Refurb sites have been cross flashing for years. So it can be done.
Again... DUMB PHONES and Windows Mobile devices are NOT Blackberries, and GSM is not CDMA.
Quote:
...The only reason its harder for cdma vs gsm is because cdma stores all the roaming agreements between carriers, etc on the phone. Gsm stores it on a sim card.
Not true.

I could load the CDMA Nam, PRL, Browser, ERI, BREW, CDMA1X GPS, EVDO, Feature Settings, Mobile IP, Message File, PTT, RTT Data, Security Grouping, MMS Setting, Phone Book, Date Book from a Verizon Moto onto a MetroPCS Moto, but that wont do anything about getting Verizon to accept the ESN/MEID of this phone onto their network...

And that is the MAIN thing about CDMA carriers. If the ESN/MEID (which is hard coded into the phone's boards) is not allowed on the carrier's network... You can't use that phone. Period. End of discussion.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Would it be possible to use the Storm on AT&T?

I was looking at the tech specs from one of the articles posted here and it said the storm is GSM..........which doesn't make sense b/c Verizon is CDMA, aren't they?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Would it be possible to use the Storm on AT&T?

I was looking at the tech specs from one of the articles posted here and it said the storm is GSM..........which doesn't make sense b/c Verizon is CDMA, aren't they?
Yes, technically you could use it on AT&T. Yes Verizon is CDMA, but the Storm is a hybrid device with a quadband GSM radio and HSPA. However, if you really want a Storm, I suggest getting the 9500(Vodafone) and using it.
Closed Thread