Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Supanatral
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: Rogers
Default Changing Exchange servers

Please Login to Remove!

We just upgraded to Exchange 2007 and now the exchange server is a different computer then our blackberry server. How would I go about changing the BES server so that it would access my mail from my new server?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Just make sure that you have permissions configured correctly on the new Exchange server, update the MAPI profiles on the BES to use the new Exchange server and make sure that you install the right version of MAPI32.dll.

You should be able to locate the MAPI and CDO client on the Microsoft web site. Just search BlackBerry Technical Solution Center for Exchange 2007 and you will find everything there to set your BES up for Exchange 2007, including permissions as they are now set using the Exchange Power Shell.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Supanatral

Thanks for your reply!

I somewhat understand what to do but I don't fully. I can follow instruction well and do it right, but the issue is that when the instructions tell me to do something, I don't know why so I don't know exactly what to change or add to which server. Do you know of a step-by-step instruction on how to do it? Sorry to bug you again.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
gibson_hg

To prep the BES for the new Exchage Server do the following:

1. Assign the proper permissions on the new Exchange Server

BlackBerry Search Results

That KB is how to do it in Exchange 2007 as it is different then previous versions

2. Update the MAPI profiles - **Only edit these if you have moved the BESAdmin mailbox to the new Exchange Server**

- Go into the Registry
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cur rentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles
- Backup the Profiles registry key
- You should see 2 profiles, BlackBerry Manager and BlackBerry Server
- Delete just those 2 profiles
- Close the Registry
- Open the BlackBerry Server Configuration
- Click the BlackBerry Server tab
- Click the Edit MAPI profile button
- Ensure that the BESAdmin account is listed and the new Exchange, if not correct both fields and click Check Name. It should come back highlighted and underlined
- Now open the BlackBerry Manager and you will get a dialog box that the profile doesn't exist. Click Ok and you get the same box to edit the name and Exchange server. Edit both if need be and click Check Name

3. Update MAPI32.dll - Only needs to be updated if you are running Exchange 2007 only. In a mixed environment, say Exchange 2003 and 2007, leave the 2003 Exchange System Management tools installed. When you de-commission the old Exchange server and are running only Exchange 2007 follow these steps.

- If you have the Exchange 2000/2003 System Management tools installed uninstall them. Follow this KB to get the right version of MAPI and CDO from Microsoft:

BlackBerry Search Results

This should make it easier for ya.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Supanatral

has anyone ever told you that you rock? Thanks for taking the time to write all that out, I appriciate that, a lot!

Three (quick) quesions though.
1st. Should I uninstall all of exchange 2003 on the original server or just the management tools?
2nd. After you go into Blackberry messenger and it prompts you for the second time for the username and password, do I still put in the new servers name and BESAdmin for the user?
3rd. does it matter if both exchange servers are in a different forest?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
gibson_hg

1st. Should I uninstall all of exchange 2003 on the original server or just the management tools?

What I meant by the Exchange system management tools is to uninstall it from the BES if your BES is running on it's own server. You don't need to uninstall anything from your actual Exchange servers. The BES should have the Exchange tools installed for a MAPI connection to your Exchange servers. When you eventually bring down the old Exchange servers and you only have the 2007 Exchange left then use the MAPI and CDO client on your BES for a proper connection to the Exchange server, rather than the Exchange Management Tools.

Just to clarify as well about the MAPI connection from Exchange 5.5/2000/2003 and Exchange 2007. In order for the BES to communicate to Exchange in versions prior to 2007 you would install the Exchange System Management Tools. This gave you the MAPI subsystem to create MAPI profiles and the ability to communicate to your Exchange Servers.

In Exchange 2007 that doesn't work anymore. If you install the Exchange System Tools you will not get MAPI anymore, so Microsoft released the MAPI and CDO client(ExchangeMapiCDO.MSI). This is also the reason why installing the BES on an Exchange 2007 is not supported because you would have to install the MAPI and CDO client on the Exchange server and it's not meant to be installed on it. A customer tried that once and it destroyed the Exchange server.

So whenever we mention uninstalling the Exchange management tools we mean just the tools from the BES and NOT the Exchange server, never from the Exchange server.

2nd. After you go into Blackberry messenger and it prompts you for the second time for the username and password, do I still put in the new servers name and BESAdmin for the user?

After you delete the BlackBerry Manager profile from the registry you will be prompted to re-enter the mailbox name and Exchange server name when you try to open the BlackBerry Manager. That is where you will enter the BESAdmin mailbox and exchange server that it resides on. After you enter the info click the Check Name button to make sure that it can see the mailbox on that server. You will know if it works because the Exchange server will be highlighted and underlined.

3rd. does it matter if both exchange servers are in a different forest?

As long as they are in the same Exchange organization it will be ok. Once you try to use a BES to connect to Exchange servers in different Exchange organizations you will need another BES. The rule is 1 Database per Exchange Organization.
Closed Thread