Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #21
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxfl View Post
Hi, I ordered mine too from CNN, hope it arrives soon. do you know how much time does it take? well i ordered it on 10/07/07 and they told me i could track it on USPS after a week or so? Can you please tell me when did you recieve yours after buying it and where you able to track the package on USPS?
Thanks, Can't Wait to Swap to Black Case!!!
NRP
You're welcome. You'll love it.

Mine didn't take any longer than two weeks. I wasn't home when they tried to deliver it and so they left a note on the door; they insisted that I pick it up at the post office. I reckon because it was an overseas shipment. It easily would've fit in my mailbox.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #22
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansen3 View Post
satisfied with the quality of the parts received from cnn.cn?
They're the same parts that are manufactured for RIM. So I'd have to say yes. Fit-and-finish is beautiful, and it just looks so much classier in that beautiful sleek black case.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #23
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djniche View Post
Im about to order one of these. Has anyone tried this with a full body skin from bestskinsever.com? I was thinking about putting the skin on the empty case before swapping it out with the silver case.
In truth, I just use BlackBerry's silicone skin, and it works well for me. Besides keeping my side rails scratch-free, it keeps the thing from sliding naround all over the place when I hold it or put it down on something.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
rjansen3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default So

these are genuine RIM parts? They arent like RIM seconds or anything?

Motorola i710 , i730 , i860 , i930
7100i , 8830 , 8330
Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #25
kermalou
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

i want to get this but what happens if you return your phone for exchange warranty? Do you have to put it back in its original condition?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:17 AM   #26
justajason

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
i want to get this but what happens if you return your phone for exchange warranty? Do you have to put it back in its original condition?
Yes, once youve opened up the device, youve voided the warranty.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #27
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by justajason View Post
Yes, once youve opened up the device, youve voided the warranty.
Hey now, that's a bit alarmist.

First of all, Verizon only does warranty exchanges for the BlackBerry 8830 by mail. You cannot simply walk into a store with your broken 8830 and swap it out there (ask me how I know).

Second, you keep your old silver case, and if in the event you need warranty service for your 8830, you put the unit back in its silver case. When Verizon sends you your new phone, you ship back the old one in its silver case and Verizon is none the wiser.

Then you put your cool-looking black case on the new phone they've sent you.

Seriously, dude, a case swap takes maybe 20 minutes and is as easy as falling out of bed.

Kermalou, don't listen to justajason. As long as you're a little careful when you do the swaps, there's no way in Christendom that Verizon would be able to tell that you swapped cases.

Oh, by the way, I showed my black-cased 8830 to one of the guys at the Verizon store across the street from my house. He thought it was the coolest thing ever and asked me for the link where to order the case from.

Last edited by piusg; 10-23-2007 at 10:52 AM..
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #28
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansen3 View Post
these are genuine RIM parts? They arent like RIM seconds or anything?
They sure looked like genuine RIM parts to me. And they went on perfectly.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #29
justajason

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by piusg View Post
Hey now, that's a bit alarmist.

First of all, Verizon only does warranty exchanges for the BlackBerry 8830 by mail. You cannot simply walk into a store with your broken 8830 and swap it out there (ask me how I know).

Second, you keep your old silver case, and if in the event you need warranty service for your 8830, you put the unit back in its silver case. When Verizon sends you your new phone, you ship back the old one in its silver case and Verizon is none the wiser.

Then you put your cool-looking black case on the new phone they've sent you.

Seriously, dude, a case swap takes maybe 20 minutes and is as easy as falling out of bed.

Kermalou, don't listen to justajason. As long as you're a little careful when you do the swaps, there's no way in Christendom that Verizon would be able to tell that you swapped cases.

Oh, by the way, I showed my black-cased 8830 to one of the guys at the Verizon store across the street from my house. He thought it was the coolest thing ever and asked me for the link where to order the case from.
Comeon!?!?! You know as well as I do, that if youre in your year after purchase, and something happens to the device, and you try to return it, they will scream "Voided Warranty". And as for exchanging the housing, I DID ALREADY>>>. And as soon as I got it swapped, the pixels on the screen started going screwey... So YEAH< I had to switch it back...

And as for mail, I went back to the store I got it at, 3 months later, and they swapped it out with no difficulty...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by justajason View Post
Comeon!?!?! You know as well as I do, that if youre in your year after purchase, and something happens to the device, and you try to return it, they will scream "Voided Warranty". And as for exchanging the housing, I DID ALREADY>>>. And as soon as I got it swapped, the pixels on the screen started going screwey... So YEAH< I had to switch it back...

And as for mail, I went back to the store I got it at, 3 months later, and they swapped it out with no difficulty...
Alright Penelope, you win.

Yeah, I suppose they'd scream "voided warranty" if you were stupid enough to bring the thing back to a Verizon store or send it back with the black case still on it. I have a hard time imagining anybody smart enough to work a BlackBerry being that ridiculously stupid. Anyone dumb enough to do that deserves to have their warranty voided.

Employees at two full-fledged Verizon company stores in South Florida--one in the Mall at Wellington Green, and one on Okeechobee Boulevard--told me that support for the 8830 was the exclusive purview of Verizon Wireless Technical support and no service for the 8830 was performed in any Verizon store anywhere, company or not.

Frankly, justajason, judging by your tone, typing, and lack of posts, I think you're full of it--and a troll. And your shift keys are sticking.

Now stop frightening the nice people and pissing on my parade.

Last edited by piusg; 10-23-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
Brian C
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: BALL WIZARD

Quote:
They sure looked like genuine RIM parts to me. And they went on perfectly.

I ordered a black keypad from them a while back, and it was ANYTHING but a genuine RIM piece. Completely different molds for the components, feel was sub-par, and already lost a button off of it.

Perhaps the case components are better, but I won't waste any more money on their keypads.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #32
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
I ordered a black keypad from them a while back, and it was ANYTHING but a genuine RIM piece. Completely different molds for the components, feel was sub-par, and already lost a button off of it.

Perhaps the case components are better, but I won't waste any more money on their keypads.

Wow.

That's different from my experience. My keypad looks and feels great--a pleasure to type on. Maybe they grew them in-house and have recently improved them?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #33
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
You guessed correctly. I bought:

1609 BlackBerry 8800/8830 OEM black full Housing
1826 BlackBerry 8800/8830 OEM black keyboard

The housing kit comes with a couple of extra things: a mid-plate, and an extra set of side rails. You needn't change the midplate--keep it for later, just in case. And an extra set of side rails always comes in handy, since they scratch so easily.

The housing kit also comes with a complete set of tools: two Torx wrenches and a prybar for the side rails. It really is a complete kit.
I just ordered mine - but now for the full housing, they have the version that says "World Edition" on it, so I got that one instead. Looking forward to my "new" 8830.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #34
neoxfl

Hi, I had a problem with my order, I ordered on 10/07 but I still did not receive it, hence I had to chat with live help last night. They told me that i might be delayed or lost and that they would set uo an inquiry process. Meanwhile I asked them to mail me a new package and I will pay for faster shipping(FEDEX) The agent told me that they will do that once approved but I never recieved any information, I have already transfered funds into their account, Now i am concern what if they Had never mailed me one????
I have put more money than my plan and now i am nowhere with this order!!!
I dont know what to do???? as these people dont reply promptly as they show on their wbe-site
Some one with similar problems/ any veiws..
Please input,
Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #35
Chichum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxfl View Post
I dont know what to do???? as these people dont reply promptly as they show on their wbe-site
Thanks
You might notice they're in China. Might be off my a time zone or two
Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #36
nem0nic

Just a heads up for all of you looking at the CNN black case and keyboard. I got the package from CNN today and it was MOSTLY what I expected. I ordered the full black case and a black keyboard, as well as a couple tools.

The case and siderails are OEM looking and feel like they're at least as good a quality as the originals I took off my Verizon 8830. Everything went on well. The CNN video doesn't mention that the side rails are both attached with adhesive at the top, so keep this in mind when disassembling.

The only problem is this...

Notice anything strange? Yeah...

I just put in an email to them and asked for a correct keyboard and a new set of side rails (because of the afore mentioned adhesive).

Other than that, I'm a happy camper. I'll keep this thread informed about how they deal with this customer support issue.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #37
neoxfl

Hey!! I got my Package today !! Surprsing enough after being lost with USPS as it took more than three weeks, But I am HAPPY about the New Swap, Black looks much better, keyboard is ok but not as Nem0nic,I think you recived a french keyboard by error. Thankfully i recievd all Components as i ordered , It looks great.
I agree with nem0nic as siderails have glue its difficult to seperate them, it took me about 20 mins to do the swap. There is no way to VIOD WARRANTY as there are no seals (use some common sense while exchanging for technical issues and re-swap) Thanks Piusg! Great product from CNN, I agree.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #38
nem0nic

I was just contacted via email by Steve Chan from CNN and they're sending out a new keyboard. That was fast. I must say that even with the fubar keyboard I can't complain about their product or their service.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #39
soulman978

Model: 9850

Just ordered mine. Hope it's as easy as everyone says it is.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #40
nem0nic

Just an update. Got the new (correct) keyboard middle of last week and all is well. Steve over there at CNN is fast and I wouldn't think twice about doing business with them again. Good stuff.
Closed Thread