BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #61
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Please Login to Remove!

I do not type as fast as on my Curve, however I can type and read emails faster and better without my glasses on the Storm. I forget my specs on a regular basis and my Curve was virtually unuseable for texting without my glasses.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #62
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

This topic is one of those favorite dead horses to metaphorically beat.

My previous slider had a physical qwerty and I was pretty proficient at it. When I switched to the Storm there was a noticeable difference in speed. However with practice and sensitivity adjustments I am where I want to be.

There is no arguing. A proficient SMS texter will be faster on a physical qwerty. However, the difference in speed with a touch qwerty is so insignificant it really is a non-issue. One might be 50+ wpm on a physical qwerty and 40+ on a touch qwerty. So friggin what?!?

Unless you are a super secret agent man who needs to rattle messages at high rates of speed, what does it matter? If that's the case I am sure the spooks in Washington have something much better for you to use.

If this is an issue, stick with your Bold, Curve, etc. The Storm is touch screen and one will encounter a uniquely different experience while manipulating it. But as a Storm owner I can tell you that you will quickly adapt to it.

Overall, you will either love it or be indifferent to a touch keyboard. If you hate it, go back to your physical qwerty.

Nuff said.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 01-15-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #63
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
This topic is one of those favorite dead horses to metaphorically beat.

My previous slider had a physical qwerty and I was pretty proficient at it. When I switched to the Storm there was a noticeable difference in speed. However with practice and sensitivity adjustments I am where I want to be.

There is no arguing. A proficient SMS texter will be faster on a physical qwerty. However, the difference in speed with a touch qwerty is so insignificant it really is a non-issue. One might be 50+ wpm on a physical qwerty and 40+ on a touch qwerty. So friggin what?!?

Unless you are a super secret agent man who needs to rattle messages at high rates of speed, what does it matter? If that's the case I am sure the spooks in Washington have something much better for you to use.

If this is an issue, stick with your Bold, Curve, etc. The Storm is touch screen and one will encounter a uniquely different experience while manipulating it. But as a Storm owner I can tell you that you will quickly adapt to it.

Overall, you will either love it or be indifferent to a touch keyboard. If you hate it, go back to your physical qwerty.

Nuff said.
i dont know if you do alot of typing on your blackberry as the avg blackberry user but i can say for sure the the avg blackberry user types on his blackberry as much as a desktop or even more. the issue with the storm is not being able to type its the hard not able to keep up with the user. in the two weeks i had mine i was able to adapt but the amount of typing i did and emailing. i would think that if anyone had a large load of work to be done on a blackberry then i would def go with a blackberry with the keys.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #64
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Merk makes my point solidly.

In its current state of development, the Storm is CLEARLY not suitable for demanding professional usage. In fact, other than for phone calls, I don't know why any professional would consider composing important communications from any Blackberry device. Especially if you need to crank out numerous professional communications from the field. In that case, the job calls for a laptop with wireless service.

If you find yourself with the luxury of being able to communicate professionally with a Blackberry, prudence demands a physical qwerty. The Storm is a touch screen device still in need of serious upgrades and, for all intents and purposes, it is clearly in the "toy" stage.

I do email, SMS, and MMS my counterparts, however I could never draft a professional communication from my Storm. For that I would plant my butt in front of a desktop computer with Word 2007 and an internet connection. But even in that case, SPEED is not a consideration. Spell check and font adjustment capablities are.

A physical qwerty is clearly faster and more accurate than its touch counterpart. However, is a touch screen a viable alternative for expedient SMS and email chatter? Absolutely!

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 01-15-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #65
voyagor

PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

yeah that is my problem. on my voyager i was able to type easily double the speed than on my storm and the thing that is slowing me down is that the highlight on he storm cant keep up with my fingers and also the words im typing re usually 5 or 6 words behind me. the phone is not fast enough. im scared to add any other applications to it in fear it will slow down even more
Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #66
matharris04

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I had a Voyager before my Storm and I typed faster on that than my laptop...on my Storm I can't use the qwerty landscape keyboard at all but I can type really fast with SureType, it's the best predictive text I've ever used (and was already used to it from my Pearl) and can cram out messages/emails with 3 sentences or more in about 20 seconds. SureType does take some serious getting-used-to.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #67
Rowdie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post

If "physical qwerty" means a qwerty on a little pda and not a full size key board then I call BS. There's definitely an argument.

There's a good chance an experienced user of trutype could be faster.

I watched the uber geek show down of itouch vs BB with "physical qwerty" and the iTouch guy smoked the three BB guys.

This has more to do with fear of change then anything. "OMG I can't feel the keys. I need my old pda back." It's the same folks that bust a vein when they get office 2008.

Make the setting adjustment, give it the T6 fix, use the trutype, and get back to me in a month.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #68
Rowdie

Model: Storm

Is there a WPM app for these devices?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #69
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Guinness plz

I think that many folks here could say that they can type pretty close to as fast on the Suretype side (as a Pearl user I love it personally) than on the QWERTY side. I can blow any QWERTY BB out of the water with my Pearl speed of typing, much like another poster above said - folks ask me how I can reply so quickly with that crazy keyboard, but once you are used to it, it really rocks for short messages (and even the occasional lengthy email)

I can't imagine anyone who uses a full QWERTY being super happy with the Storm's keyboard though - but for the Suretype, I spent 5 minutes typing on it, and I was just about as fast as I was on my Pearl, and just as accurate. And that was just after 5 minutes. I think with 2 weeks time, I'd be just as good. But if I was a heavy QWERTY user, I think I'd have more trouble making the switch and might be frustrated as some of the other folks have been.

I guess its just what you are used to.

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #70
crossfadex

Carrier: verizon

I type so much faster on a qwerty. There is so many little things about the storm i didn't like. The phone had potential but its just not as good as many many other phones that are on the market.
I'm glad to have gotten rid of this thing.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #71
xjrodzx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Honestly when Im in landscape mode I make a lot of mistakes, so I avoid using the full qwerty unless Im in the web browser. I type just as fast, if not faster in the portrait SureType mode.

One problem I do have when in SureType is that if I type to fast the keyboard hides itself no really and I have to re-enable it.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #72
growse

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

I think it's just a case of getting used to the fact that certain keys are expecting to be hit on their left or right hand side, depending on where they are on the keyboard (in landscape mode). I've frequently had an issue where I've gone over to the left hand side of the keyboard with my right thumb and hit the wrong key by mistake. I'm learning though
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #73
strata615

Quote:
Originally Posted by matharris04 View Post
I had a Voyager before my Storm and I typed faster on that than my laptop...on my Storm I can't use the qwerty landscape keyboard at all but I can type really fast with SureType, it's the best predictive text I've ever used (and was already used to it from my Pearl) and can cram out messages/emails with 3 sentences or more in about 20 seconds. SureType does take some serious getting-used-to.
Is it possible for someone that has a legitimate typing speed to be able to type faster on a voyager than a laptop? I'm not anywhere close to laptop/desktop keyboards on a phone nor did I ever expect to be.

That said. I never became proficient with other blackberry keyboards. I did not like the closeness of the keys and preferred WM slider phones. I do not type as fast on the storm when comparing it to the slider keypads, but my storm speed does improve every day.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #74
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

I believe that from time to time, you get used to. Touchscreens is different from keypads, where keypads you can memorize where the button is. With touchscreens, its kind of hard to to memorize a screen. Lol

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #75
ishore

Well, I have. some small issues with typing fast. The worst is when I go to hit the "space bar" if I do not his it correctly, I get the symbols screen. But once you get used to the new typing feel, I got faster with this exception.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #76
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

Along with typing fast on my Bold, I've gotten to the point where I dont need to look at the keyboard while typing. I still type just as fast without looking and dont see this happening on the Storm. Any Storm users able to type out messages and not look at the keyboard to type it?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #77
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post
Along with typing fast on my Bold, I've gotten to the point where I dont need to look at the keyboard while typing. I still type just as fast without looking and dont see this happening on the Storm. Any Storm users able to type out messages and not look at the keyboard to type it?
I can type out a message without looking no problem. Only issue is the message is garbage Okay, you didn't ask for a proper message, I know a wise guy in every crowd. Seriously, that is one drawback to the touchscreen, no "touch" typing. That being said after about 6 weeks with the storm I would guess I am at about 80 - 85% of the speed on my 8830 and the better screen, browser, etc. makes up for the other 15%
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #78
andrewknight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20C9851E
Carrier: vodafone

I'm a first time BB owner and not overly quick on my laptop/qwerty. Once I maxed swipe,hover and tap settings I found myself to be quick and getting quicker all the time.
Closed Thread