Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
thehuydog

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Trying to get WIFI started

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I am new ( but i've read the FAQ) and yet I can't seem to get this to work. I got a BB 8220 v 4.6.0.180 with t-mobile ( no data plan). I am trying to connect to my home router using WIFI. I went to manage connetion/turn on wifi/set up wifi...scan for wifi network..found it...put in correct wep key...but am unable to connect. Am I doing something wrong? Please help. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I think you need the proper service books, which the data plan will give you.

Did you SEARCH?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I remember having the same problem when I first got my 8320 Curve, and my dad having the same problem when he got his 8220. After a while of wrestling with our wireless network, we found that it was our router's permission settings. We had the wifi network set so that in order for a device to connect to the router, that device's MAC address had to be manually entered into the network via the administrator computer.

I would recommend looking at your wifi router settings and seeing if that is the case. If it is, you can find your Blackberry's MAC address by going to Settings>Status. It should say WLAN MAC and then a code. That is what you will enter into the router.

I hope this helps
Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
thehuydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I think you need the proper service books, which the data plan will give you.

Did you SEARCH?
Here are the service books that are on my phone currently:
1. t-mob usa wap 2.0 transport
2. tmob usa wap 2.0 browser config
3.tmob 5 click
4. wifi tcp/ip transport and browser

am i missing something?

there are some others. i'll try that MAC address thing with my router.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
thehuydog

so i got the wifi working at a coffee shop. I think the previous poster is correct that its something to do with my browser ( i also got it to work with my home router when I disable the WEP password encryption). So do you guys know where I need to go in my router settting ( netgear) to get this to work? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
IanBird

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange UK

Hi thehuydog

Firstly do you have any other wireless device connected to the router? If not it could be Wireless MAC Filtering has been enabled on your router by mistake on the setup process. The MAC address is the Hardware address to a network type device and can be found under OPTIONS> Status WLAN MAC xx xx xx xx xx xx on your BB device.

Also check to see if you have an IP address under status too? or is still showing 0.0.0.0

This will need to be entered on your router in one of the options probably somewhere under wireless settings.

Thats how I have my router running at home just an extra layer of security so if someone does have my WEP key the still cannot get on.

Not she that is the answer but its worth a shot. But if you have disable the WEP encryption and its working then it what type of encryption you are using. If you can post up what settings you are using for WEP?
You may need to relax the security a bit on the router.

Ta
Ian
Old 02-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
thehuydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBird View Post
Hi thehuydog

Firstly do you have any other wireless device connected to the router? If not it could be Wireless MAC Filtering has been enabled on your router by mistake on the setup process. The MAC address is the Hardware address to a network type device and can be found under OPTIONS> Status WLAN MAC xx xx xx xx xx xx on your BB device.

Also check to see if you have an IP address under status too? or is still showing 0.0.0.0

This will need to be entered on your router in one of the options probably somewhere under wireless settings.

Thats how I have my router running at home just an extra layer of security so if someone does have my WEP key the still cannot get on.

Not she that is the answer but its worth a shot. But if you have disable the WEP encryption and its working then it what type of encryption you are using. If you can post up what settings you are using for WEP?
You may need to relax the security a bit on the router.

Ta
Ian
hey Ian, I think you are right that its something to do with my security. I got it to work when I drop all type of encryption ( as in my neighbor could probably get on and use my WIFI). under status, I have both WLAN MAC addy and an IP addy. I'll try again. Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Closed Thread