Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Windows Live Integration

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim.com
Microsoft and RIM to Bring Windows Live Services to BlackBerry Smartphone Customers
Agreement will enhance the communications experience on BlackBerry smartphones through popular Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger services

Seattle, WA and Waterloo, ON - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced an agreement to provide Microsoft Windows Live services on BlackBerry® smartphones. As a result of this collaboration, BlackBerry smartphone customers will enjoy easy mobile access to Windows Live Messenger and an enhanced level of integration between Windows Live Hotmail and the BlackBerry platform.

The integration of Windows Live services into the BlackBerry platform will allow customers who use Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger on their BlackBerry smartphone to benefit from the BlackBerry platform architecture with the ability to communicate in real-time using push technology, and offering an exceptional mobile communications experience. Customers will also be able to seamlessly access their Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger account from their BlackBerry smartphone by simply entering their Windows Live e-mail address and password once.

“The BlackBerry platform is respected around the world for providing optimized messaging capabilities and RIM continues to look for ways to provide customers with a wide range of communications options and the best possible mobile experience,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. “Our relationship with Microsoft and the addition of Windows Live services to BlackBerry smartphones helps us build on that strategy for our customers.”

Among other features:

Windows Live Hotmail for BlackBerry will allow customers to:

Use BlackBerry 'push' technology for automatic message delivery and message synchronization so the customers’ online account is up-to-date with actions taken on their BlackBerry smartphone
Use a dedicated inbox for Windows Live Hotmail messages, which are automatically delivered to the smartphone. Customers can also choose to receive their Windows Live Hotmail messages, along with messages from other e-mail accounts, within a single inbox on their BlackBerry smartphone
Display HTML e-mail with the ability to view graphics, Web links, and contact photos in emails
Windows Live Messenger for BlackBerry will allow customers to:

Send instant messages and join group chats
Set status and see the presence of friends and colleagues within Windows Live Messenger or their contact cards
Customize status messages
Save conversations
Showcase their Display Picture (Avatar)
Send and receive pictures and files
Use more than 60 emoticons
“Over 430 million people around the world rely on Windows Live to stay in touch,” said Brian Arbogast, Vice President of the Mobile Services organization at Microsoft. “Our collaboration with RIM will enable BlackBerry smartphone customers to take full advantage of Windows Live, whether at work or on the go.”

Windows Live services for BlackBerry smartphones are expected to be available beginning this summer with support for multiple languages.

About Microsoft
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

About Windows Live
Windows Live, a comprehensive set of personal Internet services and software, is designed to bring together in one place all the relationships, information and interests people care about most, with enhanced safety and security features across their PC, devices and the Web.

Windows Live and MSN are offered alongside each other as complementary services.

About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit Research In Motion or BlackBerry.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.

Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.

Official Windows live integration
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
thats all folks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The Evil Empire of Verizon

This may be me being a noob, but after reading this will they have the Live search? I just see Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

why do i have a feeling this is microsofts was of getting a look at RIMs coding for push technology and then they create there own... i dont trust this....
Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?

"Use a dedicated inbox for Windows Live Hotmail messages, which are automatically delivered to the smartphone. Customers can also choose to receive their Windows Live Hotmail messages, along with messages from other e-mail accounts, within a single inbox on their BlackBerry smartphone
Display HTML e-mail with the ability to view graphics, Web links, and contact photos in emails "

This sounds like an application like the GMail app. Not necessarily real integration. How would it display HTML? That would have to come from our BIS provider, not MS.

my guess is an application...and if it is..who cares about this?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer
why do i have a feeling this is microsofts was of getting a look at RIMs coding for push technology and then they create there own... i dont trust this....
From a layman perspective, if it forces better products from more competition, then this is a great thing.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9

i tried downloading today and it said my device wasnt compatiable
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
dmiller1856
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: ASK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
i tried downloading today and it said my device wasnt compatiable
I tried downloading the Win Live Msgr today also and got the same message...
Anyway, I hope this means I don't have to worry about losing the use of my hotmail e-mail on my BB anytime soon.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Edhoru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TELCEL

@ Dawg & dmiller, i get the same message, i found this

From Blackberry.com

Before downloading Windows® Live Messenger for your BlackBerry® smartphone, check to see that you meet the below requirements:

Smartphones supported: BlackBerry® 7130e, BlackBerry® 7250 and BlackBerry® 8703e from Bell Mobility, BlackBerry® 8800 from T-Mobile USA.

BlackBerry.com
Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9

yeah it sucks to get email from blackberry saying you can do this then get to the download and find out you cant
Closed Thread