Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default New Trackball Not Functioning Correctly - Help Needed

Please Login to Remove!

I just installed the yellow trackball from cnn.cn's website, it looks very sleek by the way. Well I installed it the first time, no problems disasembling the phone, and when i put everything back together, I noticed the track ball felt a little 'grissly'... I.E. it wasn't rolling in a smooth manner. So I took the phone apart again and tried to make sure there wasn't any lint or hair in there. Put the phone back together again, and it moves like the old track ball did now when i roll it.

The problem is that the up sensitivity is gone and it's very difficult for me to scroll up in the menu... I can gently rub my finger up over the track ball and it won't recognize the up motion at all... I have to firmly apply pressure to the track ball for it to scroll up.... Right, Left, Down all work as they previously did with the OEM track ball...

I made sure to install the new yellow track ball in the same directly that the old one was positioned.... With the top narrow metal strip section pointed upwards (picture below)

Is it possible for me to clean the portion of the phone where the track ball makes contact with the rest of the phone? I don't know if maybe there's some dirt/lint/smudge in there. Anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by wolfgaze; 06-13-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Old 06-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just reinstalled the original OEM trackball and it works flawlessly (as it did before). Any chance I got a bad trackball from cnn.cn? Can't figure this one out.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
focus88844
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 800
PIN: 24ADAD9B
Carrier: T-mobile

very likely, i have ordered a full housing for the 8300 from cnn.cn before and the housing i received was not OEM spec, its more like reject or left over. i ended up had to find larger sized torx screw to fit the housing in, never bothered to send it back due to international and the whole delay situation. however from reading, many others had great experience with cnn.cn
Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
wjereb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T - BES

I bought 2 black trackballs from cnn.cn and one of them had the same problem you described. I emailed them and they replied quickly that they thought it got demagnetized somehow and they would send another. The only problem is the time it took for a new one to get here.

Bill J
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjereb View Post
I bought 2 black trackballs from cnn.cn and one of them had the same problem you described. I emailed them and they replied quickly that they thought it got demagnetized somehow and they would send another. The only problem is the time it took for a new one to get here.

Bill J
Bill,

Thanks for posting your experience... I just shot them a detailed email and referenced this thread. Because they are located in Hong Kong I got the impression that trying to get a new one sent out would be hopeless but your experience has given me confidence.

-Mike

Last edited by wolfgaze; 06-15-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
wjereb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Bill,

Thanks for posting your experience... I just shot them a detailed email and referenced this thread. Because they are located in Hong Kong I got the impression that trying to get a new one sent out would be hopeless but your experience has given me confidence.

-Mike
Just be patient - I believe it took 10-14 days to get the replacement - same as the original order.

Bill J
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
lovescakemix

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

when i got a g1 trackball for 8900 from them, at first it felt like i needed to press harder to make it work. but the more i used it the more it acted like the oem one. so i dont know it that mean anything
Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
wjereb

How hard is it to replace the trackball in an 8900 compared to a 8310?

Bill J
Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
BerryCustoms
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMO

I have taken a trackball apart before to clean the lint off, but its a little tricky to get everything back together... the wheels are magnetic so its a little tough to get them to stay where you want them...
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjereb View Post
How hard is it to replace the trackball in an 8900 compared to a 8310?

Bill J
I have no mechanical skills whatsoever and hate working with my hands... I disassembled and reassembled my phone 3 times in 30 minutes... It's not bad at all... Just take your time and pay attention to what you're doing and it's easy....

I used this video for advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwvqFm8HbQ

And I've found that it's easier to remove the bottom piece with your finger by prying it off from the side of the phone (where it connects to the rest of the bezel) with your nails. (In the video he pries it off with a tool but it's more difficult that way).
Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
HoonBerry

Model: 9000

It's good to find a thread like this that's exactly what I am experiencing too. I received my new trackball from cnn.cn too yesterday and now the trackball doesn't respond at times when I go up and down. I will have to email cnn.cn too and see what they say.

- JOhn
Closed Thread