BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Sync Outlook data between two computers and two BB's ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All. I am a pre-BB newbie, so forgive me in advance.

I was a very long term Palm user who about 3-4 yrs ago got converted to Windows Mobile because I wanted to sync my Outlook data at work (calender, contacts, tasks, and memos but NOT email). Activesync stinks, the latest issue with WM6.1 is when syncing and more than 100 items of anything (contacts, for example) changes on one computer, sync crashes.

I am now strongly considering a BB (or maybe even two BB's) - heard many good things about it (stability, etc.)

First, I will NOT use the corporate BB plan (I think it is called 'BES', correct ) - just email from our personal email accts (hotmail, yahoo, gmail), just sync using the old, fashion USB cable.

Questions

1) will I be able to sync between two computers (calendar, contacts, tasks, and memos) ? Like we can do with Palm and Activestink (if no issues) ? I want both computers to contain identical info (as well as the BB unit)

2) if I pick up a BB for my wife as well, can we share same contacts but have different calendars, tasks, and memos ?

At home, Outlook currently points to a .PST file on a file server - that file contains all of my calendar, contacts, tasks, and memos.

Thanks much in advance
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

1. Yes.
2. Yes. You would specify on Blackberry desktop manager (the thing that helps you sync) which contacts/calendars/tasks/memo you want to use. That allows for the same contacts but different calendars/tasks/memos.

I currently have a similar setup at home with my dad. It is all very doable.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the response (good so far!).

Questions:
1) Do you create one PST file for you and one PST file for your dad? And have the contacts resides on only one of the PST files (for example, yours) and you simply point the Blackberry desktop manager to sync contacts from both BB units to the your PST for syncing contacts, BUT for all the other stuff (calendar, tasks, memos) you set up Blackberry desktop manager to: a) point/sync your BB unit to to your PST file, and b) point/sync your dad's BB unit to his PST file?

2) In your setup, do you also sync (using just the plain cable) to your laptop/pc at work (contacts, calender, tasks, memos) ?

Do you find the Blackberry desktop manager pretty stable? Not sure what your experience is with Palm Desktop (sync mgr/software for Palm devices) and/or Activsync (Microsoft sync mgr/software for windows mobile devices), but Palm's was really stable; whereas ActiveSync loses data, etc....

Last edited by winger13; 03-03-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

1. I have two separate profiles in Outlook (not windows xp) set up for each of our devices. He shares a subset of my address book, but maintains his own tasks, memos, and calendars. When you sync a BB device, Desktop manager recognizes each device individually based on the device's PIN number. You can specify which profile you want what (address book, calendar, etc) to sync to for each device. So once I set up the settings, we were able to sync per my previous mentioned setup without issue.

2. I currently sync my device on two computers.

3. Haven't had problems with BlackBerry DM thus far. I'm using an older version (4.2) and haven't had a need to upgrade to the newer ones available. Any problems I did have were due to being a novice user of the software. But as I have backups, if there's ever a problem I just do a one-way sync (from device to Outlook or the other way around). I had a Palm Tungsten prior to my Curve. I am familiar with Palm Desktop but not Activesync.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

So I take it from reading your post on your home PC where you and your dad share contacts but different everything else, you use only one (1) *.pst file and there is something called a 'profile' that Outlook allows you to separate data (have multiple calendars, tasks, memos, etc) within that *.pst file?

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
1. I have two separate profiles in Outlook (not windows xp) set up for each of our devices. He shares a subset of my address book, but maintains his own tasks, memos, and calendars. When you sync a BB device, Desktop manager recognizes each device individually based on the device's PIN number. You can specify which profile you want what (address book, calendar, etc) to sync to for each device. So once I set up the settings, we were able to sync per my previous mentioned setup without issue.

2. I currently sync my device on two computers.

3. Haven't had problems with BlackBerry DM thus far. I'm using an older version (4.2) and haven't had a need to upgrade to the newer ones available. Any problems I did have were due to being a novice user of the software. But as I have backups, if there's ever a problem I just do a one-way sync (from device to Outlook or the other way around). I had a Palm Tungsten prior to my Curve. I am familiar with Palm Desktop but not Activesync.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

No, there are multiple pst files. Every profile in outlook is associated with a separate pst file. Since we have 2 separate profiles, we have 2 pst files. But you have everything else correct.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

How are your contacts shared then?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

He has a subset of my contacts. So say I have 10 categories, he shares 5 of them with me.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
He has a subset of my contacts. So say I have 10 categories, he shares 5 of them with me.
Let me reiterate my understanding to see if I got this write:

On both your BB and your Dad's BB, you tell BB Sync Mgr to sync to your own *PST's, EXCEPT for your dad's BB's Contact, you setup BB Sycn Mgr to sync with YOUR *.pst file, which has contacts separated by categories, some for him and some for you.

Question: so, both your and your dad's contacts on both BB's, correct? Using categories just makes it easier to 'filter' (on the desktop and on the BB) - correct?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post
Let me reiterate my understanding to see if I got this write:

On both your BB and your Dad's BB, you tell BB Sync Mgr to sync to your own *PST's, EXCEPT for your dad's BB's Contact, you setup BB Sycn Mgr to sync with YOUR *.pst file, which has contacts separated by categories, some for him and some for you.

Question: so, both your and your dad's contacts on both BB's, correct? Using categories just makes it easier to 'filter' (on the desktop and on the BB) - correct?
Yes, on BB desktop manager, you can tell it which profile to use for each specific function (address book, calendar, etc).

All contacts are categorized. Since he is sharing a subset of my address book, I have a filter setup to specify which categories need to be synched. That way any changes made will be reflected on both our devices.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

I don't mind the questions (keep em coming if you have more) but based on your original questions, I would not be worried about BlackBerry not being able to do what you want.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks. see any issue doing the same thing is i only have 1 bb and 1 winmo (Palm 800w)...bb using bb desktop mgr and 800w using activesync ?

Last edited by winger13; 03-05-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted

Not familiar with activesync, but I don't see any problems especially since you are using one device per software/program.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

another question: with Palm Desktop, IF there are conflicts where one existing entry (say in Contacts or In Calendar ) has been updated in both devices (one handheld and the PC), the sync program notifies the user and waits for input (asks the user which one to use ) before completing the sync for that entry.

Does BB Desktop manager do the same?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post
another question: with Palm Desktop, IF there are conflicts where one existing entry (say in Contacts or In Calendar ) has been updated in both devices (one handheld and the PC), the sync program notifies the user and waits for input (asks the user which one to use ) before completing the sync for that entry.

Does BB Desktop manager do the same?
Ahh yes I remember that. BB DM does do the same thing albeit less elegantly. Since it's been some time since I've had a conflict to resolve, I did a sample test.

1. Created a calendar entry called "Test".
2. Performed sync so BB and Outlook are the same.
3. Then, in Outlook I edited the entry to "Test 1." But on my BB, I edited the entry by adding a note.
4. Performed sync, BB DM notifies me that changes been made to the entry. It breaks it down that that "Test 1" will be changed on my BB (since the edit was made in Outlook originally), and that the note would be added to my Outlook.
5. There's not real choice here except accept or reject.

But! I did another test:
1. Created another calendar entry called "Testing"
2. Synched so both BB and Outlook have same info.
3. In outlook, I edited the entry to "Testing 1." On my BB, I edited it to "Testing 2." So note that the changes occur at the same level (naming the entry).
4. Performed sync, BB DM informs that there is a conflict, and asks what which version I want.

Yes I know that was a longer answer to your question, but I don't think you mind completeness.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ahh yes I remember that. BB DM does do the same thing albeit less elegantly. Since it's been some time since I've had a conflict to resolve, I did a sample test.

1. Created a calendar entry called "Test".
2. Performed sync so BB and Outlook are the same.
3. Then, in Outlook I edited the entry to "Test 1." But on my BB, I edited the entry by adding a note.
4. Performed sync, BB DM notifies me that changes been made to the entry. It breaks it down that that "Test 1" will be changed on my BB (since the edit was made in Outlook originally), and that the note would be added to my Outlook.
5. There's not real choice here except accept or reject.

But! I did another test:
1. Created another calendar entry called "Testing"
2. Synched so both BB and Outlook have same info.
3. In outlook, I edited the entry to "Testing 1." On my BB, I edited it to "Testing 2." So note that the changes occur at the same level (naming the entry).
4. Performed sync, BB DM informs that there is a conflict, and asks what which version I want.

Yes I know that was a longer answer to your question, but I don't think you mind completeness.
You must be a tester - same here. thanks.
I guess we are getting two BB's !!! Data integrity and sharing of contacts are two awesome attributes we can both benefit from.

OK, what version of Desktop Manager is most stable? I have read bits and pieces that the latest version has issues??? Or maybe this question is for another post : (
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

I'm not a tester. Just a student with a science background.

I would recommend you do a search or post the desktop manager stability question in a different part of the forum (maybe RIM software section). When you get a BB (or two), it'll come with the necessary software including the BB DM.

I personally use 4.2 sp2. It's older, but I haven't found any other reason to switch to a newer version. The display is a bit windows 95 but I only use it to sync my data and do backups, so I don't need anything that looks really pretty and fancy.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Help - Duplicate Calender events on BB device !

OK, I sync'd my new spanking BB to Outlook at home - over 2200 contacts, 5300 Outlook events (I set to sync 45 days prior and originally sync'd at 9999 days into the future and since changed to 1095 days, thats approx 3 years ahead)...

Now, I see there are duplicate outlook entries on the device (but NOT on the desktop's PST) - what can be the problem? can I wipe the BB's outlook data and try again???

**actually I think most if not all calendar entries now occur twice on the BB : (

On one of the duplicates, I updated the subject/title of a meeting today on the desktop. After the sync, both the orginal and updated copies appeared on the BB. Other items that I see duplicated were NOT updated.

Last edited by winger13; 03-07-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Do you see what's the cause of the duplication? The first time I ever did a sync to my BB, I had duplicates as well because one of the programs (not sure whether it was BB DM, Intellisync or what), appended a series of characters in the notes section of my calendar entries. In that case, I eventually imported everything into Excel, editted the notes section and then resycned.

Make sure you have all your data backed up somewhere and then do a one-way sync. It sounds like your desktop has all the correct info and is not duplicated.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Do you see what's the cause of the duplication? The first time I ever did a sync to my BB, I had duplicates as well because one of the programs (not sure whether it was BB DM, Intellisync or what), appended a series of characters in the notes section of my calendar entries. In that case, I eventually imported everything into Excel, editted the notes section and then resycned.

Make sure you have all your data backed up somewhere and then do a one-way sync. It sounds like your desktop has all the correct info and is not duplicated.
All my data is backuped, yes (of course )

how's the best way to see where the issue is?

Also, once i fix the issue(s), if I just set the sync to go from desktop to device and sync'd, will this effectively wipe OUT whatever is on my device?
Closed Thread