BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default unlocking vendor themes = more memory usage?

Please Login to Remove!

does unlocking the extra vendor themes use up more memory on the blackberry or are they already installed as part of the OS and just locked from being seen?

I have them all unlocked but there are a few I know I will never use so I was wondering if there is any advantage to relocking them to save memory?

if there is an advantage, how would I relock them? just add something like _vendorID="118" back, or do I have to make sure to lock it to the exact same vendor ID codes that I removed?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
buttbutt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cing

They do take up some memory. Removing them would just be giving them a vendor ID different from yours or removing them from the section for your device (depending on how you added them).
Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Some of the themes use quite a bit of memory-upwards of 700k. If there are some that you know you'll never use I'd recommend deleting them. The easiest thing to do is to move them out of the java directory. I recommend placing them in anothe folder just in case you want them back. Then run desktop Manager/Application Loader and it will remove them.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Some of the themes use quite a bit of memory-upwards of 700k. If there are some that you know you'll never use I'd recommend deleting them. The easiest thing to do is to move them out of the java directory. I recommend placing them in anothe folder just in case you want them back. Then run desktop Manager/Application Loader and it will remove them.
How would I move them out of the Java Directory/Put them in another folder? I just got them by removing all of the Vendor IDs.. I am unfamiliar on how to move them out of the java directory though.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

In the same folder as the Blackberry.alx is a folder called "java." In that folder are all the .cod's that get loaded onto the BB. Simply remove the net_rim_bb_theme.....etc. files that you don't want. You can also do it by adding back _vendorID="xxx" and using a code other than 102.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
In the same folder as the Blackberry.alx is a folder called "java." In that folder are all the .cod's that get loaded onto the BB. Simply remove the net_rim_bb_theme.....etc. files that you don't want. You can also do it by adding back _vendorID="xxx" and using a code other than 102.

Thanks, I successfully got rid of about 4 of them... didn't save any memory though. Is there a reason why it wouldn't have really changed that much? Or do I have to do something to get it to recalculate the available memory?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Reboot the handheld. Also, it depends on which ones you removed. I just removed the big ones I wasn't using. They range from 200kb to 700kb depending on the theme.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Reboot the handheld. Also, it depends on which ones you removed. I just removed the big ones I wasn't using. They range from 200kb to 700kb depending on the theme.
which ones are the big ones?

also, i really only want to keep one of the tmobile zen ones (the one with the five icons on the bottom), but for some reason it looks like the code is all linked together for all three of the tmobile themes, so if i were to relock them it would lock/unlock them all together, is there a way to figure out which theme name/look correlates to which file in the java directory so I know which one is the one I want to keep and I can trash the other two?

thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Look in Options >Advanced Options >Applications >click menu key and select "Modules." Scroll down to all the items that say "net_rim_theme_....click on each one and note the name and sizes. Then delete the ones you don't use. You'll have to look in the Blackberry.alx file to see which ones are which.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Look in Options >Advanced Options >Applications >click menu key and select "Modules." Scroll down to all the items that say "net_rim_theme_....click on each one and note the name and sizes. Then delete the ones you don't use. You'll have to look in the Blackberry.alx file to see which ones are which.
Awesome, thanks so much John! I got it all figured out, of course the one I like is the 700k one. I only gained about a MB more or less and only have 25MB free space, but I guess that isn't too bad since I have Beyond411, Google Maps, Jive-Talk and Yak-ON installed..

Thanks again! This is why I love BlackBerry, it is so customizable!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

does anyone know what the blackberry MDS runtime module is ? listed in my apps list in DM, but not selected.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
does anyone know what the blackberry MDS runtime module is ? listed in my apps list in DM, but not selected.
i believe it has to do with mobile data services on a BES, i could be wrong though
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Yes, it's only if you are on a BES and only if your BES uses MDS applications. Not likely.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
zero7404

i just tried removing nearly all the theme .cod's except for the 2 zen themes i assumed would be tmobile and wanted to keep. upon restart, blackberry loaded up with NO themes. really wierd looking shell style icons list on a white background.

got scared and put back all the cod's i removed...
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #15
Perfect Storm

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
i just tried removing nearly all the theme .cod's except for the 2 zen themes i assumed would be tmobile and wanted to keep. upon restart, blackberry loaded up with NO themes. really wierd looking shell style icons list on a white background.

got scared and put back all the cod's i removed...
What happened was you removed the theme you were using at the time. When the device booted that theme was no longer present. When this happens the device reverts to the theme matching the device branding. Since you probably deleted that too, it had no choice but to show the default no colour theme.
It's easy to get out of if it happens again. Just find the swiss army knife icon (which is options) and go to themes to set one.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
zero7404

thanks for the info, i'll try this again and see if i get some memory savings....
Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
jwarmuth

Model: Curve

Quote:
Hi,

Can you please explain your 2nd option here? The one about "adding back
_vendor="xxx". Where do you make that change?

Thank you
Closed Thread