Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Question Odd Email FIlter / Messages Folder issue

Please Login to Remove!

I am posting an email conversation I had with someone in our tech support area trying to help out a user. I would welcome any additional feedback to offer some assitance to the users.

I have been trying to figure out why users get copies of all messages on the BB when a rule is set up to send them to a subfolder. After a couple months, I found out that we just need to view the "inbox" folder and the extra messages are filtered. I'm sure you were already aware of this, which is why I'm asking you the next question. Is there a way to set the BB to always view the inbox instead of "messages?"

That sounds odd. Here is what I know. If you have a filter set up in Outlook, the items you filter out should NOT come to your BB inbox. I have a filter set up to catch message from our automated system - it immediately sends them to a specified folder. I am not able to view them on my BB. This is because the filter resides on the server, so it processes immediately. Therefore, when the BES syncs with Exchange, it does not report the email and hence does not pass it to the BB. It sounds like they need to re-set their rules - perhaps they got messed up when we went to 2003. From what all I have read, you are always viewing your Inbox. Now, I do know that if you file emails in Outlook, it will still show on your BB UNTIL the BES synchronizes or until you force it (by selecting reconcile now). The users need to make sure the options are set to hide Filed and Sent messages.

That would be great if you posted it. I actually have the same scenario with the network support blackberry. We asked RIM about it and they said to set the hide filed messages to Y, which it already is. I changed it to N and saved it, then back to Y just for kicks. Anyway, it's defaulted to view messages. I don't see "inbox" at the top of the screen unless we specifically view the folder. Let me know if you hear anything on the forum.

I searched the forum. It sounds like a couple of things
They are not waiting long enough after the email arrives for the BES to reconcile with the exchange server. Once it does, the email should go to the folder.
The email they are getting is going to an public box or being hard deleted - remember emails that cannot be reconciled remain on the BB.

I did find a posting for how you can make sure you get emails sent to a folder by rule are viewable on the BB.

... get on your blackberry and go to your email application, go to options, then go to email settings, then click on the track wheel and select folder redirection. Once you're there all your folders will appear, might have to expand your main mailbox. You can do that just by clicking the track wheel and selecting expand. You can then go through and check which folders you want. Click the track wheel and select change option and it will check the folder to sync
I am going to post our conversation on the web board (minus the names of course) and see if anyone else has encountered this issue.

I will let you know what I hear.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

it kind of sounds like they don't have the folders set to sync on the BB. On the Server (I have 4.1), select the user --> Service Access --> Choose folders for redirection. Expand the inbox and make sure that the user's inbox subfolders are selected. If your users use PST's, you are SOL. the BES can't read PST's as they do not reside on the exchange server.

And the BB always defaults to "Messages" as far as I know, you cannot change it to view "inbox" when you open the e-mail icon.
BES 4.1
Closed Thread