BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Which carrier? AT&T or Verizon?
AT&T 17 50.00%
Verizon 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Question AT&T or Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Long story short - company got bought out by a new company and they offer Blackberry on AT&T or Verizon - my choice. They only offer Curve models (no Bold; no Storm). Which carrier would you pick and why?

I've had AT&T for several years since my (former) company offered it and it was the only choice - have one of first 8800s ever delivered. I'm leaning towards Verizon as I hear that they have better coverage in non-metro areas (and might try to get a Storm later on). I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth and my AT&T drops very rarely.

Again - which carrier would you choose and why. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
BarryHouston

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A

I have been on both, and have had fewer dropped calls with Verizon. One consideration, however, is that AT&T will unlock your phone (i.e., provide the MEP2 code) after you have been under contract for 3 months or more.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

I guess it depends on your area but here in L.A. Verizon is much better than at&t. I use to have an 8310 with at&t and get drop and miss calls.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
arieltf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have Verizon and like it, but, if you want a GPS that works with all GPS apps, then I would go with AT&T.

If Verizon unlocks the GPS to all apps, then I would vote for Verizon.

--Ariel
Old 04-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

Verizon. Hands down. (At least where I am)

Speedy. Rock solid calls.

My employer was a long time AT&T customer for regular cell phones and in the beginning for Blackberries. My department started the move to VZW because of the coverage and now all 200 devices are on VZW.

And in my travels, I have found VZW to be superior in more rural areas everywhere and if you look at their map, you'll see EVDO Rev A almost nationwide. AT&T isn't that fast everywhere. (Of course unless you use a Storm, you aren't getting Rev A anyway)

Last edited by Joe1004; 04-02-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
jmosssr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

I would also vote for Verizon. They have better coverage in middle TN. AT&T does not work at my home. The real issue is who has the best coverage where you need it.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD View Post
Again - which carrier would you choose and why. Thanks.
Doesn't matter what I would choose (Plano != Houston). You need to assess coverage where you need it.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
DallasFlier

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Doesn't matter what I would choose (Plano != Houston). You need to assess coverage where you need it.
takeshi's exactly correct. So far I see answers in this thread from Houston, Los Angeles and middle Tennessee; among others - recommending a carrier. None of those answers are relevant or at all useful to you. Coverage where you live, work and often travel to are the only relevant things here. I'm in Plano, like you. I've had AT&T-Cingular-AT&T service for over 15 years now, and am very happy with the coverage I get - and I've heavily traveled all over the country on business also. I see answers talking about better "rural" coverage. The obvious question there is - where do you go very often where its "rural"? If you do go regularly to somewhere "rural", try to find out how the coverage is there - otherwise, its totally irrelevant!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
takeshi's exactly correct. So far I see answers in this thread from Houston, Los Angeles and middle Tennessee; among others - recommending a carrier. None of those answers are relevant or at all useful to you. Coverage where you live, work and often travel to are the only relevant things here. I'm in Plano, like you. I've had AT&T-Cingular-AT&T service for over 15 years now, and am very happy with the coverage I get - and I've heavily traveled all over the country on business also. I see answers talking about better "rural" coverage. The obvious question there is - where do you go very often where its "rural"? If you do go regularly to somewhere "rural", try to find out how the coverage is there - otherwise, its totally irrelevant!
Coverage is typically not an issue - although it seems that Verizon does have better coverage in the Carolinas and South Florida based on my experience.

So - disregard coverage - how about speed? Based on some input and some research I've done, it seems that Verizon has a higher speed. One downer is the locked GPS someone mentioned. Any other reasons to choose one over the other?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
holden

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Default Ditto to the coverage issue

Hello All...

Ditto on the coverage issue...

Just an FYI: Verizon and ATT have web pages that outline the coverage based upon geographic area...

Sounds like your company is only US domestic. If you go international... it's ATT hands down... (esp. in Japan)

H.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Hello All...

Ditto on the coverage issue...

Just an FYI: Verizon and ATT have web pages that outline the coverage based upon geographic area...

Sounds like your company is only US domestic. If you go international... it's ATT hands down... (esp. in Japan)

H.
I would never trust coverage maps, ATT Verizon Tmo and the rest all showed great coverage at my old house and I had to go outside to use any of them. ATT didnt work half the time TMo worked every once and a while.

Like some of the others said check your coverage

Last edited by Dawg; 04-03-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
lilcuboh

Model: 8330
PIN: 31D6D471
Carrier: verizon

id vote for verizon, my fiance and i both have the curve models, mine is through verizon, the other is ATT. mine is much faster browsing onliine. we had so many troubles with ATT with their customer service. i never dropped a call and with the ATT curve it drops and we cant always browse online with thier curve. i have no problems with verizon and cant understand ATT's attitude or tact in their customer service department.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Another vote for coverage. You need to pick the one that has the best coverage where you will use it - where you live, work, travel and play. All carriers have holes in coverage. None are perfect. Do your homework first.

As for speed, Verizon devices generally connect on EVDO which is faster than EDGE. You will not notice the difference when it comes to email, maybe a minimal difference in Internet surfing, but a lot of difference if you tether.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
Irish Rose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Since your company will give you a Curve with either one of the top wireless providers, it is wise to base your decision on which carrier will provide you with the "best" coverage in the areas that you will be using the device in the most......... I have used the Curve 8330 for Verizon, and am now using the Red 8310 Curve for AT&T. While both devices were similar as far as their features are concerned, the 8330 was a lot slower for web browsing than the 8310 that I'm using now, due to the lack of EVDO support in and around my house.............. The best advice here would be to use both carriers 30 day trial periods and see which one works best for you. Talking to family, or friends that use either one of these two carriers will give you some indication of their coverage in your area as well...... Good luck.
Closed Thread