Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #41
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Replace the LCD.

HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß
Old 09-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #42
joro

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default LCD/Motherboard problem

I did...it didn't help. I guess the problem is on the motherboard. Is there any way to test it?
There was a small black spot, were LCD connects to the motherboard, which I've cleaned it, and it seem everything looks good but backlights still won't come ON!
Old 09-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #43
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I actually had this happen with my 8320. It seemed as though the lcd went bad but I switched it out with a known good one but it didn't fix it. I had to exchange it.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #44
joro

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can't exchange it. That's the reason I'm looking for some other solution. Is there any software to test the motherboard?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #45
lagreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Thumbs up

Chillspace, I have the original silver RAZR from T-Mobile that went thru front loading wash cycle and still runs perfectly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post
Someone else on these forums dropped his 8800 in a swimming pool. He let it dry out and as far as he was able to report, the phone was working fine. Good to know that these units are salvageable. I haven't heard of anyone dropping their RAZR in water and having it work afterwards.

Blackberry Bold on AT&T : 5.0.0.411
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #46
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

On the subject of Phones and liquids, I managed to spill Absynthe on my Sony Ericsson P800 and the phone started to dissolve
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
obleedo

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

funny, last week i dropped my bb 8130 into the leto west beach in long island, it fell out of my hands as i was parking my jetski, it was submerged for about 10 seconds and i just let it dry out, less than 24 hours went by before i was talking on it again, not a single problem except for my trackball getting stuck a bit
Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #48
melvinodo

Model: 8100
Carrier: Sedio Belt Clip - um - oh... uh, tmobile
Default LCD back light death

So, on LCD backlight survival and water.

Not so much.

My wife had hers drop into a bucket of water and it sat there for who knows how long. I found it sitting there triggering the camer flash on and off.

I took it out, pulled the battery and cards. (Since I had noted that from other posts here).

The phone was someone elses discard (ie: they handed it down to her for free) so I was free to 'play'. I had taken it apart before to clean it so I was comfortable doing it again, especially since I knew it was either totally toast or it didnt matter anyways if I ham fisted it some how.

I got it apart and found some major corrosion around a few spots on the main board, and signs of arcing on the card connectors. (note: I put but cards in another phone (razr actually) and they worked just fine - and are in service right now in that phone). I did my best with alcohol to clean up the corrosion (messy grey debris) and polish off the arc scoring (black discoloration on the coppor connectors).

After a few days of letting it dry (almost a week) I put the whole thing back together and put in the battery. The screen would not light up, but by reflection I could see the hour glass, then the carrier logo come up.

Having a 8100 myself, I took mine apart and put my screen on her motherboard. That came up just fine and the backlight worked. Put her screen in my phone and no backlight. But with my screen, my cards, her phone, all items worked still (mike, earpiece/speaker, all OS function, track ball (after some serious clean up). It does look like it has stuck in caps lock mode. I'll have to see if I can fix that issue. Otherwise the keypad also looks fine.

So I have a replacement screen on order from cnn.cn - the price was better then a lot of places on the web at the cost of shipping time (I cant see paying two day shipping that costs the same as the part).

So, yeah. It looks like the LCD backlight can't take a lot of abuse. The phone will still work without it, but it is pretty much uselss that way. If your contract is no where near up, and your almost giving up on the phone, then try a new screen. (or you can just throw it away in my direction - I can always use the parts )

If the screen doesnt work, and you have the option to try a known working one (that you have seen work, not that you just bought), give that a spin. It is highly possible that something on the main board is fried. If it is, then there really isnt a lot of hope outside of having someone rework the mainboard. (do fiddly surgery) At that point the cost is going to probably be close to getting a replacement phone.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #49
melvinodo

Model: 8100
Carrier: Sedio Belt Clip - um - oh... uh, tmobile
Default Followup

So, I got my replacement screen in from CNN. It ooks its time, but arrived without issue.

It was packaged nicely with good protection. Not an overload of packing peanuts in a big box scenario like I see with other electronics I buy. But good enought to have it arrive in one piece.

Popped it in and the phone came right up, back light working as you would expect from any phone.

I was extra careful to keep finger prints off the screen. (I didn't remove the top protective layer off the screen until just before I laid the top case back on.

I also took extra care to use a kleenex and clean the inside to the "lens" (clear part of the top shell half). then I took a compressor an blew out any remaining dust from the inside of the lens.

When it all went back together it looked as sharp as it did the day it came out of the original box. (the screen - not the dinged up old body )

Up above I noted that I thought the CAPS lock might have fried in the water bath. I was wrong. My wife just had the MULTI TAP mode turned on. I never use that so didnt realize that was what the icon in the top right corner of the screen meant.

So, after a terrible drop in water, and a swim of indeterminate time, the only real victim was the LCD backlight which is only fixed by replacing the whole LCD screen module. Is is easily done 'in the field' if you have okay manual dexterity and can work with small delicate items.

Definately cheaper then buying a whole new phone. And as said before, if it all goes very wrong as you try to do it, you are no worse off then before (minus the cost of the screen of course).
Closed Thread