Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #41
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 2559B117
Carrier: Maxis

Please Login to Remove!

Gfunk,

If only I had read your post yesterday - just came back from Maxis centre KLCC and they were of course out of stock. *%@^$%$%$@

I guess there must have been a line forming at 8am outside (also didn't know that they opened at 8.30am). More &(%$%^#

Vague promises of "next week" and for me to leave my name and number, and they'll call me.

Well, I hope you lucky fellas enjoy your Bolds whilst I must exercise some of that Ramadhan patience.

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #42
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

pongee,

Oh no! Out of stock, that fast? Dang... this is the hottest BB to come to town! Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get one. Yeah, surely there was a line up-front early. Seems everyone's rushing to get it. All walks of peeps, especially biz ppl... ehehehe...

Last I heard during the launch yesterday that new stock open to public will be made on the 26th... how true that is, well just gotta keep your fingers crossed... Even that I'm sure the stocks will run-out. Did they happen to mention if any other Maxis Service Centres carry the Bold? Perhaps the others have some allocation? Perhaps you can check it out. TTDI, Pavilion, etc. You might get lucky!

All the best!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #43
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Gfunk,

I guess the guys at RIM can congratulate themselves in creating scenes (on a smaller scale) reminiscent to almost that of the iPhone. And with Celcom and Maxis neck and neck to outdo each other.

I did try to ask about the other service centre's but none of them could really give me a straight answer. Plus there are no phone numbers for the centre's so you can't really call up to find out.

Maybe I'll stop by TTDI or something on the way home.

P.

Last edited by pongee; 09-20-2008 at 02:31 AM..
Old 09-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #44
arul
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: maxis

i was there at KLCC too - one of the first ones to get it.
guys i have a question - did you guys let the maxis guys back-up and restore your data onto your new Bold? I did that but find that the hour glass (or the clock) seems to be coming on ever so often? and my memory seems to get to zero so fast.

i am contemplating wiping the device and just restoring messages - then sync the device to my PC for the PIM info.

any of you guys have similar problems?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #45
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (7100g)

Arul

Out of interest what time this morning where you there? Like 0830 or something?

Personally, I never allow anyone to touch my BlackBerry. I'd rather take my time and do it all myself as i simply don't trust these guys.

Glad to hear you chaps are enjoying your Bolds - I suppose I shall have to satisfy myself with being meek

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #46
othernet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: MOX

Try the Maxis center at The Gardens. I got mine there today, no queue. But then again, I pre-booked

It is an awesome device and definitely moved the bar up for RIM. Blackberries were stodgy in its design but the software was rock solid. I have dallied with S60, Windows Mobile, Palm, UIQ and iPhone but nothing like the BBOS. No nonsense, just works. And with the Bold, it's right there on par with the Nokia and even Apple's offering with the "coolness" factor and design.

Just one small thing. I wished it was just slightly narrower. Perhaps coming from the Curve it will take a little bit of time to get use to it, and by the way, I think the new keyboard is way better than the Curve! No more cheap clickity plastic buttons but a firm keypad. And very easy to type.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #47
arul
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongee View Post
Wirelessly posted (7100g)

Arul

Out of interest what time this morning where you there? Like 0830 or something?

Personally, I never allow anyone to touch my BlackBerry. I'd rather take my time and do it all myself as i simply don't trust these guys.

Glad to hear you chaps are enjoying your Bolds - I suppose I shall have to satisfy myself with being meek

Cheers,

P.
pongee - i was there just before 2.30pm (they called me to tell me to be there by 2.30pm). actually, i was the first one called on the list.
i do realise that it was probably a mistake getting them to transfer my data over. i could have easily done it myself.
ah well....live and learn.....
Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #48
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arul,

Yeah, I think I heard your name being called to get the BB Bold. You were the 1st to go to the counter... ehehehe...

Nope, I didn't let them touch my Curve. Then again, I didn't replace my Curve. My curve's still on BES for my corp mail. Just wanna keep that device strictly for biz. If I need to go on vacation, don't need to bring it with me, I've the BOLD to keep me company... ahahaha.... My BOLD's on personal BIS. So i've 2 devices now, Curve & Bold, using both at the same time. Crackberry Indeed...

Try wiping the set and do it yourself through the Desktop Manager. Works like a charm that way & much faster. All the best!

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #49
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

pongee,

go to the Gardens, Pavilion, TTDI... scrounge all of them. They might have some.... GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #50
azrizal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 20CCA68A

yea!! worth the wait.. sunway pyramid didn't throw the car charger though :(

anyhow, it's bloodly good to finally have it in hand!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #51
weileong

Model: 9700
Carrier: Celcom Malaysia

i using bb bold frm celcom. unit purchase frm maxis centre today. RM2199 :D
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #52
lostangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk11 View Post
Arul,

Yeah, I think I heard your name being called to get the BB Bold. You were the 1st to go to the counter... ehehehe...

Nope, I didn't let them touch my Curve. Then again, I didn't replace my Curve. My curve's still on BES for my corp mail. Just wanna keep that device strictly for biz. If I need to go on vacation, don't need to bring it with me, I've the BOLD to keep me company... ahahaha.... My BOLD's on personal BIS. So i've 2 devices now, Curve & Bold, using both at the same time. Crackberry Indeed...

Try wiping the set and do it yourself through the Desktop Manager. Works like a charm that way & much faster. All the best!

Cheers!
Hey dude, are you big and bald..?

I think we might have been sitting at the same table and chatting...

Were you still sorting out your phone when I left..?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #53
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bro lostangel,

What a Small World! Ahahaha.. yeah, big bald dude... How's ur lovely toy? I'm loving every second of it!

Yeah, luckily I stayed back. When they activated my BIS, seems all OK in the system, but didn't reflect on my BOLD. T/shoot for about an hour or so with the rep there, Bro Sylvester. Very nice guy that helped out all t/out. He even went-up to see the 'expert' on the BOLD. You know what, it was a SIM Card prob. hahaha... all logical stuff OK! Physical sim card problem. Ahahaha...

Seems that, my SIM, which was one of those damn old ones (really didn't bother to change all this while). Used that sim card for about 8 yrs or so. Hehehe... Changed the SIM card, ok! BIS updated on my phone. All ok from there. I could browse, but in my haste, forgot to check the BB services i.e. Messenger, e-mail Sync, GPS, etc. When I got back, suspected when I changed my SIM, the BB service was deactivated. Called the call centre 123 and after being on hold for about 2 mins, Sylvester took over the call. He knew it was me. Haha... So it was relatively easy talking to him as he knew what the problem was. Checked in the system and yeah, my BIS service was deactivated once I changed my SIM (default from their system when anyone changes SIM). Oh well, got it sorted out and as of 6pm yesterday, was up & running on BB.

BB BOLD is truly amazing! Screens awesome, videos look superb and the overall handling and speed is brilliant!!! Surfing was great on 3G! WAAAYYYYmuch better than my curve which is on max EDGE! hehehe...

Just one qualm; don't know if you notice. The battery runs out quite fast! Not as heavy duty as the Curve. With the Curve, I don't have to re-charge after about 2 1/2 days or so. And that's with the usual BB Msgr, Corp mails (80+ mails a day) replying mails, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. hehehe... on the Bold, it doesn't last as long. Guess they needed to strike a balance between performance and the battery strength. Oh well, whatever the case, I've got the in-car charger, so when I'm on the move, I can re-charge anytime! hehehe...

Keep in touch! Cheers!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #54
arul
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Arul,

Cheers!
Yup dat was me!!
Now backing up PIM info n messages and wiping handheld as I type.
Only thing that's a pain is that i have to boot into Vista for this - I hate Windows!!!
While the browsing and the screen on the Bold is very good, I'm not overly impresses with it so far. The analog clock keeps coming up often. Hopefully a wipe will sort it out.
Anyone try downloading Opera Mini? I cant seem to get it installed as the device tells me that my firewall settings dont allow it. Are we able to override these settings?

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #55
lostangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Bro lostangel,

What a Small World! Ahahaha.. yeah, big bald dude... How's ur lovely toy? I'm loving every second of it!

Yeah, luckily I stayed back. When they activated my BIS, seems all OK in the system, but didn't reflect on my BOLD. T/shoot for about an hour or so with the rep there, Bro Sylvester. Very nice guy that helped out all t/out. He even went-up to see the 'expert' on the BOLD. You know what, it was a SIM Card prob. hahaha... all logical stuff OK! Physical sim card problem. Ahahaha...

Seems that, my SIM, which was one of those damn old ones (really didn't bother to change all this while). Used that sim card for about 8 yrs or so. Hehehe... Changed the SIM card, ok! BIS updated on my phone. All ok from there. I could browse, but in my haste, forgot to check the BB services i.e. Messenger, e-mail Sync, GPS, etc. When I got back, suspected when I changed my SIM, the BB service was deactivated. Called the call centre 123 and after being on hold for about 2 mins, Sylvester took over the call. He knew it was me. Haha... So it was relatively easy talking to him as he knew what the problem was. Checked in the system and yeah, my BIS service was deactivated once I changed my SIM (default from their system when anyone changes SIM). Oh well, got it sorted out and as of 6pm yesterday, was up & running on BB.

BB BOLD is truly amazing! Screens awesome, videos look superb and the overall handling and speed is brilliant!!! Surfing was great on 3G! WAAAYYYYmuch better than my curve which is on max EDGE! hehehe...

Just one qualm; don't know if you notice. The battery runs out quite fast! Not as heavy duty as the Curve. With the Curve, I don't have to re-charge after about 2 1/2 days or so. And that's with the usual BB Msgr, Corp mails (80+ mails a day) replying mails, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. hehehe... on the Bold, it doesn't last as long. Guess they needed to strike a balance between performance and the battery strength. Oh well, whatever the case, I've got the in-car charger, so when I'm on the move, I can re-charge anytime! hehehe...

Keep in touch! Cheers!
Yes, my friend it IS a small world and it's getting smaller by the day ! Haha !

Glad you sorted out your issues with your new gadget, man...Sylvester, huh..? Must remember his name in case I run into any issues with mine in the future..

And ditto on the battery..! When I was using my Curve, I had NO idea how the battery life was because if the Curve ain't in my pocket, it's charging ! Haha...either thru my laptop in the office or the charger at home..

So, after fully charging the Bold on Friday, I just left it uncharged for the whole of yesterday and by the end of the day, my battery went down to almost 40%..!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #56
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bro,

Heard that with OS v4.6.0.127 above will solve the batt issue. 2 days or so and still ~40-50% left. With medium usage. Don't know if it'll work. Just don't wanna screw-up the BOLD right now. Upgrading OS can be risky biz. :D

I'll monitor the situation of the BOLD and get more info from those that upgraded to .127 or .144 as we've seen on this forum. If problem persists, then will have to upgrade, no choice.

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #57
2tigers

Carrier: Maxis=>Celcom
Default No BOLD :(

Maxis did a number on me over the BOLD. On 19th Sept got an email telling me to go to the Gardens on 20th to get the BOLD. I then get an sms from Maxis thanking me for reserving the Bold and also telling me to go get it from 20th-25th. So I go late afternoon on 20th.

SOLD OUT! They tell me its on a first come first serve basis and they are all sold out. What gives! If its that basis why tell me its been reserved. I can accept that its on a first come first serve basis except that they told me otherwise, I would have certainly been there when they first opened for business if that was the way there were going about. Having needed to go thru the weekend crowd to get there I must say that I was extremely annoyed

Sorry for the rant for my first post.

Anyway Celcom has contacted me to offer the BOLD at RM1888 if I switch over to them. That's very tempting after that debacle with Maxis. I have been only with 1 operator ever since I got my first cell more than 15 years ago. So before I make the move with MNP of course I would like to know from other Celcom Bold users, how is the 3G/Blackberry connection speed? Reliable?
TIA
Cheers
Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #58
weileong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tigers View Post
Maxis did a number on me over the BOLD. On 19th Sept got an email telling me to go to the Gardens on 20th to get the BOLD. I then get an sms from Maxis thanking me for reserving the Bold and also telling me to go get it from 20th-25th. So I go late afternoon on 20th.

SOLD OUT! They tell me its on a first come first serve basis and they are all sold out. What gives! If its that basis why tell me its been reserved. I can accept that its on a first come first serve basis except that they told me otherwise, I would have certainly been there when they first opened for business if that was the way there were going about. Having needed to go thru the weekend crowd to get there I must say that I was extremely annoyed

Sorry for the rant for my first post.

Anyway Celcom has contacted me to offer the BOLD at RM1888 if I switch over to them. That's very tempting after that debacle with Maxis. I have been only with 1 operator ever since I got my first cell more than 15 years ago. So before I make the move with MNP of course I would like to know from other Celcom Bold users, how is the 3G/Blackberry connection speed? Reliable?
TIA
Cheers
I'm the celcom BB user "BIS". FYI , celcom bb so far so good to me , Connection stable. I just went to Maxis TTDI early morning on Saturday to get my new BBB ,was waiting a long "Q" when i was there about 945am,after 50mins wait , i get the BBB straight without ask the Maxis CSO to guide me on using new BBB or backup my exiting BB8310 email,contact,then I Paid RM2199 check everything okay and FOC Original BBB Silicon case within 10 mins i left there

Go back plug in My Celcom Sim Card did some simple configuration on device PIN /IMEI and it WORKS without calling Celcom customer care line.

Comment on Celcom Customer Care - Worst , Their service is Very bad compare to Maxis or Digi , The Celcom Staffs /CSO didn't know anything about blackberry nor configuration on any BB device ,wasting time calling their hotline and 1111

I get New BBB from Maxis because the device don;t have the words " Vadafone" at bottom , I prefer everything clean without any Service provider "words" on the device. :P

Last edited by weileong; 09-21-2008 at 11:09 AM..
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #59
lostangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

hey guys,

Anyone tried using the Bold as a modem to connect to the internet yet...?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #60
weileong

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangel View Post
hey guys,

Anyone tried using the Bold as a modem to connect to the internet yet...?
I'll try today and update here later
Closed Thread