BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Hal Levy

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Same Issue?

Please Login to Remove!

I am also crashing on sync. Mine happens as soon as it tries to read the outlook Cal. I have run the fix pst and it did fix problems- but the crashing continues. I have cleared the callendar on the BB. Anyone with other ideas?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #22
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The problem is not on the handheld. The problem lies in the Outlook Calendar. You need to view the sync logs to find the last entry that was read before the desktop Manager crashed. if you can figure out what calendar entry it is you can delete that calendar entry and then should be able to finish your sync. it's well known that calendar items with attachments will cause problems but occasionally other calender items do too...especially recurring events that have changes to one occurrence.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
Hal Levy

It doesn't even get that far. As soon as the sync starts with outlook it crashes. The log has "Total Inputs From First System: 0" and thats it. It seems to crash as soon as the calendar read starts.

Edit:

I have complted the following things:

1. I have removed all attachements in my Calendar entries.
2. I have cleared the calendar on the device
3. I have deleted the intelisync configuration file
4. I have deleted all old Calendar entries in Oultook
5. I have run ScanPST.exe

At this point it reads the PST and the device and comes up with a "Conflic Resolution".

No matter which choice I make - at the point where I would expect to see the "cornfirm changes" window the application locks up

I am going to try a reinstall next

Last edited by Hal Levy; 05-28-2008 at 04:23 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
aafiv

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Thumbs up Calendar Sync with 8830 and Desktop Manager 4.3 Crashes

I am about ready to turn in my Blackberry 8830 and the companion Desktop Manager 4.3 as a piling heap of crap for my old Treo 650. In ten years of Palm use I never had a single sync problem. I have this Blackberry thing for one month and it's nothing but headache.

Here's what I did:

1.) Ran into the same problem all of you had.
2.) Uninstalled, cleaned registry, deleted files, drank heavily, reinstalled, lathered, rinsed, and repeated with varying degrees of success.
3.) Found this thread and followed the clear calender db advice. That failed too.
4.) Found the bit about clearing the last bits in the sync log that possibly represent the corrupted calendar entries and deleted them from Outlook.
5.) Crossed fingers, contemplated different methods of suicide...
6.) IT BLOODY WELL WORKED!!!

In Desktop Manager, click Synchronize >> Select Configuration tab >> Click View Log >>

When viewing the items in your Outlook Calendar in the log, the item that the sync is choking on is the last item at the bottom. Find that item in your Outlook Calendar and delete it and you should be good-to-go.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #25
Hal Levy

Ok- well, I deleted ever appointment off the calendar and it started working... I have a backup of the file- so now to add them back and see what happens.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
csquare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

I had the same problem where I told the DM to sync on connection and my 8310 was set to sync wirelessly with the calander. When I switched the calender sync on the handheld to "NO" wireless sync, the problem went away.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #27
henryh

Model: 8830
Default Still crashes

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

I have followed all advice posted with no success. Actions include:
1) Running inbox repair tool on all .pst and .ost files
2) Clearing calendar from BlackBerry
3) Changing the synch configuration so the calendar isn't synched.
4) Synching everything else successfully
5) Changing the synch back to a one way synch from Outlook to the device
6) Trying to synch - Failure upon starting to read the Outlook Calendar
7) Looking at the log.

And here is the rub. There isn't even one calendar record listed in the log. By the way, I am synching via USB.

See below.

On 6/3/2008 7:54 AM
One-way sync from Microsoft Outlook Calendar to Device Calendar

First System: Device
Second System: Microsoft Outlook
Second System File Name: Calendar
Conflict Resolution: Notify
Appointment Range: From 4/4/2008 To 6/3/2009

Total Inputs From First System: 0

So I then renamed the Intellisynch folder. Setup the synch configuration (required as Desktop manager can not find the prior configuration since the folder was renamed). And the synch worked.

Can anyone speculate why?

Thanks

Henry

Last edited by henryh; 06-03-2008 at 09:21 AM..
Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
folium1

Model: 8320
Carrier: netcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafiv View Post
I am about ready to turn in my Blackberry 8830 and the companion Desktop Manager 4.3 as a piling heap of crap for my old Treo 650. In ten years of Palm use I never had a single sync problem. I have this Blackberry thing for one month and it's nothing but headache.

I could not agree more. My problem is that I cannot get rid of this junk. Nobody wants to buy BlackBerry in my country. So I use my Treo 650 for all serious business, and BB just as a toy. Still no luck. "The operation terminated unexpectedly" etc. no matter what I try in desktop manager. Intellisync is the most crappy piece of software I have tried in many many years.

I´m about to give up this crap. Are there other ways to synch BB with outlook and exchange, without the bb enterprise server?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #29
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Can't get rid of what junk?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #30
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryh View Post
Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

I have followed all advice posted with no success. Actions include:
1) Running inbox repair tool on all .pst and .ost files
2) Clearing calendar from BlackBerry
3) Changing the synch configuration so the calendar isn't synched.
4) Synching everything else successfully
5) Changing the synch back to a one way synch from Outlook to the device
6) Trying to synch - Failure upon starting to read the Outlook Calendar
7) Looking at the log.

And here is the rub. There isn't even one calendar record listed in the log. By the way, I am synching via USB.

See below.

On 6/3/2008 7:54 AM

Second System File Name: Calendar
Appointment Range: From 4/4/2008 To 6/3/2009

So I then renamed the Intellisynch folder. Setup the synch configuration (required as Desktop manager can not find the prior configuration since the folder was renamed). And the synch worked.

Can anyone speculate why?

Thanks

Henry
I'm having the same issue, VZW 8130 w/DM 4.3.

At first the log seemed to be showing a problem w/a recurring event on Tuesday of this week. I deleted all occurrences of any recurring event on Tuesday of this week, and set DM to only sync one day prior to today (which would mean start syncing from Thursday, yesterday), and have cleared my calendar on my BB so it's empty.

Sync w/calendar fails immediately over and over again, no records are shown as processed, it fails on the initial sync dialog before it starts showing records being processed.

RIM.log says:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On 6/13/2008 9:50 PM

Appointment Range: From 6/12/2008 To 12/10/2008

PTTrace.log says:

21:50:41.484: Begin ILX Session, Source=Microsoft Outlook, Target=Device
21:50:41.562:
21:50:41.562: Starting One-Way Sync (from scratch)
21:50:41.984: Phase=10, User=317b9642: Reading data from Device Calendar
21:50:43.093: Finished Reading 0 Records + 0 Deletes + 0 Unchangeds for User=317b9642 from Device Calendar (slow sync input for resync)
21:50:43.093: Phase=20, User=317b9642: Reading data from Microsoft Outlook Calendar

...and then nothing.

I've restarted PC and BB multiple times.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Never had a sync problem before that wasn't solved by clearing the BB database first...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #31
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Kept searching and found the answer in a thread in the general BB discussion forum.

This solved my problem.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close

Specifically, this part (which I've edited to update it a bit):

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Open Microsoft® Windows® Explorer and delete the "Research In Motion" folder in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\

[This deletes all your synchronization settings/history, etc. I actually just renamed the Research in Motion folder in case I wanted to get any information in it back.

When you restart Desktop Manager again in the steps below, the "Research in Motion" directory and subdirectories will be re-created.]

3. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager again.
4. Select Synchronize
5. On the Synchronize tab, make sure Synchronize Organizer Data is checked.
6. Select the Configuration tab and click Configure Synch.
7. Re-create your sync settings to sync calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes, etc.
9. Click OK to save your changes
10. Return to the Synchronize tab and perform a synchronization by clicking Synchronize Now.

After I completed the steps above my sync completed successfully again. Happy day!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #32
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by folium1 View Post
I could not agree more. My problem is that I cannot get rid of this junk. Nobody wants to buy BlackBerry in my country. So I use my Treo 650 for all serious business, and BB just as a toy. Still no luck. "The operation terminated unexpectedly" etc. no matter what I try in desktop manager. Intellisync is the most crappy piece of software I have tried in many many years.

I´m about to give up this crap. Are there other ways to synch BB with outlook and exchange, without the bb enterprise server?
Have fun with your Treo.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
cbibbs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for this thread. Saved me from tearing my hair out.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #34
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Default 10,000 Thanks to John C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The problem is not on the handheld. The problem lies in the Outlook Calendar. You need to view the sync logs to find the last entry that was read before the desktop Manager crashed. if you can figure out what calendar entry it is you can delete that calendar entry and then should be able to finish your sync. it's well known that calendar items with attachments will cause problems but occasionally other calender items do too...especially recurring events that have changes to one occurrence.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU JOHN!!! I was having this damn crashing issue and thought it was because I had reorganized my contacts which I thought was the problem because of recurring anniverseries and birthdays. As I am trying the different methods I came across John's post **specifiacally the part at the end about changes to a single entry in a recurrence** and I realized I had added a note in the location feild of n appointment. I deleted that particular recurring even and VIOLA everything synchs fine. The odd thing is I do this all the time but for some reason it did not like this one. Thanks again to John and this forum for getting me out of another jam.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #35
Wlevey

Model: 8820
Carrier: att
Default First time Sync crash!!

I tried to sync my BB tonight and it hung up and gave me the message "Unable to complete request" It is hanging on Calendar entry 23 every time.

I already tried to sync without the calendar and then re sync with the calendar. Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I use my BB to schedules patient appointments and only use Outlook as a place to back up (all data goes from BB to Outlook), so I can't do the restore/Backup thing (I need to add the schedule changes from today to Outlook!!

Is there a way to find out what entyr 23 is and delete it??

I'm desperate. Without a way to backup the BB I am afraid I will loose my schedul for the future and that would be a desaster!!!

Got any ideas???

Bill
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #36
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

My experience is posted right above yours. Did you read the entire thread? You need to find the event you altered between today and your last synch. It will likely be a change you made to a single occurence of a repeating event. If that is not it, there are several other threads with tips on ways to get thru this. In the end you WILL need to find event#23 but I have yet to find any way to cross reference to actual events.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #37
divrdrew

Model: 8100
Default Same problem, different error log

I have read through this and searched the Internet high and low for a resolution. I have been having sporadic problems getting my 8100 Pearl to synch properly. Had to reset everything a couple times and that seemed to get it to work. Runs through my address book fine now. All of a sudden in the middle of going through my calendar, it just closes...no warning, nada...just not there any more. Here is the desktop error log:

DesktopMgr caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module ntdll.dll at 001b:7c910ed4 CurrentThread:00001454.

Exception handler called in Desktop.
Error occurred at 12/12/2008 13:39:34.
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe, run by Drew.
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600).
2 processor(s), type 586.
23% memory in use.
2048 MBytes physical memory.
2048 MBytes physical memory free.
0 MBytes paging file.
0 MBytes paging file free.
2048 MBytes user address space.
1741 MBytes user address space free.
Read from location fffffff8 caused an access violation.

Context:
EDI: 0x00000400 ESI: 0xfffffff8 EAX: 0x00000000
EBX: 0x00150000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x00150608
EIP: 0x7c910ed4 EBP: 0x0012703c SegCs: 0x0000001b
EFlags: 0x00010206 ESP: 0x00126e1c SegSs: 0x00000023

Bytes at CS:EIP:
0f b7 0e 3b cf 72 e5 56 ff 75 e4 e8 80 f7 ff ff

Stack:
A bunch of data here...

Module 1
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe
Image Base: 0x00400000 Image Size: 0x00177000
Checksum: 0x0017cd03 Time Stamp: 0x4835e713
File Size: 1512720 File Time: 6/14/2008 09:45:08
Version Information:

===== [end of ERRORLOG.TXT] =====

Any ideas. Seems like a similar problem but no specific date in the calendar or even a note that it occurred in the calendar portion.

Thanksabunch!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #38
htmc

Carrier: Carrier
Default Intellisync also chokes on appointments with reminders set in "weeks"

The poster above who indicated that Intellisync crashes when it runs into a calendar entry with an attachment is, in my experience correct.

I have also found that Intellisync crashes when it finds an Outlook Calendar entry with a reminder like "2 weeks" or "4 weeks". I found that setting the reminder time in units of days (e.g. "14 days") solved the problem, allowing Intellisync to proceed without crashing.

Follow the instructions above to view the log and find the offending calendar entry, and check the reminder.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The captcha image when signing up for accounts is too hard to read. I understand the need to fight spammers, but beware of scaring off users who might make useful contributions. I had to try three times to get past it, and there wasn't going to be a fourth.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #39
JonBC

Model: Curve
Carrier: Telus
Default I just reset my configuration and it worked

I followed the thread above after multiple crashes, and deleted my calendar entries on the device. Then it wouldn't sync at all. Tried only sync'ing the calendar, etc., no luck. So I clicked the "reset configuration" button (in the synchronization section) just for the hell of it. Reset my configuration settings (takes about 10 seconds) and after that it sync'd (for a total of 1 sync's so far - no telling about next time). I did also delete a couple of recurring calendar entries on day one that had been moved from another time, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it working. By the way I'm using Desktop Manager 4.7, which I downloaded yesterday - it didn't fix the problem but it works well with the Curve.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #40
pgouveia

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Kept searching and found the answer in a thread in the general BB discussion forum.

This solved my problem.

Specifically, this part (which I've edited to update it a bit):

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Open Microsoft® Windows® Explorer and delete the "Research In Motion" folder in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\

[This deletes all your synchronization settings/history, etc. I actually just renamed the Research in Motion folder in case I wanted to get any information in it back.

When you restart Desktop Manager again in the steps below, the "Research in Motion" directory and subdirectories will be re-created.]

3. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager again.
4. Select Synchronize
5. On the Synchronize tab, make sure Synchronize Organizer Data is checked.
6. Select the Configuration tab and click Configure Synch.
7. Re-create your sync settings to sync calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes, etc.
9. Click OK to save your changes
10. Return to the Synchronize tab and perform a synchronization by clicking Synchronize Now.

After I completed the steps above my sync completed successfully again. Happy day!
Thank you, this was the only thing that worked for me.
Closed Thread