BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
pretzelb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Is push email the main reason you stick with BB?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm just curious how many people stick with their BB because of the push email feature. From what I can tell BB does a great job of push email that no one else has caught up with yet. I'm wondering if that is why people stick with their BB (those who aren't forced into a BB due to work) or if there is another reason. I ask because I see some other phones with similar (keyboard) if not better (web browsing) features and wonder how many just keep with BB for the email.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

reliable product

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Push email isn't vital to me because I had it via Chatteremail on a Treo. Security is #1 to me and that's what the BB provides me. You will never find another Smart Phone that provides the security that a BB provides.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The real reason is once you have one they send tendrils into your body and you can never remove it or you will become very very ILL. Really , just ask anyone, it’s true, trust me.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

OS stability, phone clarity is the best of any phone I've owned, email...many other reasons.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I still say it's the nasty Tendrils
Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I still say it's the nasty Tendrils
Of course, those too. I meant, in addition to the tendrils....
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Chicks dig guys whom carry a BB

Security
Email reliability
Call quality
Blackberry messenger
Kick butt forums
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
zimstyles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: You tell me :-)
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Chicks dig guys whom carry a BB

Security
Email reliability
Call quality
Blackberry messenger
Kick butt forums
I completely agree... For me the platform is steady, good support great devices that come out on a regular basis.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Mostly the reliability of the email
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
unbb

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
OS stability, phone clarity is the best of any phone I've owned, email...many other reasons.
I agree completely. My other phone is windows mobile...and after a few hours with the curve, I wanted to ditch the windows phone. Weeks later, I feel the same, and will probably switch it to another curve (maybe the new one).

Also...KILLER battery life compared to other smartphones I have had.

Last edited by unbb; 01-19-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

the push email is what hooks you, but its the bbim that keeps you addicted. at least in my case.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
pretzelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Push email isn't vital to me because I had it via Chatteremail on a Treo. Security is #1 to me and that's what the BB provides me. You will never find another Smart Phone that provides the security that a BB provides.
I hear this alot but I don't think a BB offers anything that can't be had on a Win Mobile device, which is capable of the same security features AFAIK. Unless there is something that RIM does that I am not aware of.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
pretzelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
OS stability is something I can understand. But I could counter that the BB OS isn't doing all that much compared some other of the other OS's, which would mean it should totally be more stable.

But phone clarity? Is that really a function of it being RIM / BB? Isn't that totally hardware and carrier? I mean, would I really get better phone clarity with Verizon if they were terrible in my area just by switching from a non smart phone to a BB? It's statements like phone clarity that make me wonder.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
pretzelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
Also...KILLER battery life compared to other smartphones I have had.
Well battery life should be a function of what's running right? The sales rep told me in the store to be sure to close my browser (and not just back out) on my Curve when I was done otherwise it would stay active and drain my battery. Besides the fact that this seemed a very stupid design in my opinion it points out that if other phones work the same way then maybe it's not really the phone but the user who is expecting too much from a battery. I will admit that the devs should make it so an app does not drain a battery when not in use or when the user backs out of it, but if they all behave that way and users refuse to basically "turn off the lights" then can we really blame the phone for draining the battery?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
Sarra

Model: Bold
Carrier: Aljawwal STC
Default ...??

ummmmm...whats push email??
i noticed that i dnt know anything on the BB
i truely need a crash course
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
pretzelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
ummmmm...whats push email??
i noticed that i dnt know anything on the BB
i truely need a crash course
It's where email is pushed immediately to your BB no matter what email account you have. For example, with an iPhone you can set it up with a Gmail account but you have to launch the email application manually to check for email. With a BB, you don't do anything - it just receives the emails and then alerts you when they arrive.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #18
unbb

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
Well battery life should be a function of what's running right? The sales rep told me in the store to be sure to close my browser (and not just back out) on my Curve when I was done otherwise it would stay active and drain my battery. Besides the fact that this seemed a very stupid design in my opinion it points out that if other phones work the same way then maybe it's not really the phone but the user who is expecting too much from a battery. I will admit that the devs should make it so an app does not drain a battery when not in use or when the user backs out of it, but if they all behave that way and users refuse to basically "turn off the lights" then can we really blame the phone for draining the battery?
I don't close my browser or other apps. I do happen to have two batteries, so every two or three days it gets "rebooted" when I switch to the fresh battery. I am more careful with the winmo and it's battery lasts less than half as long (with NO voice compared to the BB doing all my voice work).

The real question, what are you really after? Personal justification to save yourself $30 a month? I think the carriers changed that game when most smartphones cost the same additional per month now. So, if you want someone to say it's ok to get something different, here you go. Get what makes you happy.

(can I buy your sprint curve when you move on? :D I will even trade my q9c)

Last edited by unbb; 01-19-2009 at 11:27 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
I hear this alot but I don't think a BB offers anything that can't be had on a Win Mobile device, which is capable of the same security features AFAIK. Unless there is something that RIM does that I am not aware of.
BBM Chat is 100% Secure. Show me a Win Mobile device that has that. I've also crashed Win Mobile devices during security audit's of companies with simple exploits.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
pretzelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
I don't close my browser or other apps. I do happen to have two batteries, so every two or three days it gets "rebooted" when I switch to the fresh battery. I am more careful with the winmo and it's battery lasts less than half as long (with NO voice compared to the BB doing all my voice work).

The real question, what are you really after? Personal justification to save yourself $30 a month? I think the carriers changed that game when most smartphones cost the same additional per month now. So, if you want someone to say it's ok to get something different, here you go. Get what makes you happy.

(can I buy your sprint curve when you move on? :D I will even trade my q9c)
From the reviews I've read, it seems like the more graphical the phone is, the more battery drain is reported. Even the new graphical BB models seem to report battery life similar to iPhone or WinMo phones. Then again, AFAIK the BB is the only phone with an auto shut off and turn on function which can only help promote battery life.

You are wrong about the cost being the same, at least for Sprint. To get a BB you must pay $30 a month. For other smart phones except for the Instinct all you need (I think) is a $15 a month data charge added to your line. So in my case, owning a BB costs twice as much per month.

As to what I'm searching for, I suppose I'm trying to understand what I am getting with my Curve that I may not get elsewhere. As this is my first pda / smart phone I have nothing to compare. It does handle email nicely, and the sound clarity is good, but I am not sure it's twice as good at email and sound as something else. I'm not even sure it's exactly the same. I'm not even sure if it does something unique that others cannot.
Closed Thread