Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Clssc
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Eastlink
Default Contact Sync with Gmail

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB Torch 9810 that has stopped syncing with my gmail contacts. Calendar still syncs fine. All the proper boxes are checked; I have reinstalled gmail several times; everything shows as if it should sync, but it doesn't. Does anybody have any ideas about what's wrong and how I can start the syncing with my gmail contacts again?
Rolyb
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Contact Sync with Gmail

Read and try this. Gmail may have made changes.

https://www.lifewire.com/syncing-bla...h-gmail-577615
Old 08-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's exactly how I initially set up my gmail on my BB, and it all worked fine. Now, for some reason, the Contacts just stopped syncing, even though all the appropriate boxes are checked and gmail Calendar still syncs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled gmail several times, to no avail. The problem does not appear to be at the gmail (Google) end, as my Kindle Fire syncs gmail contacts just as it should, with the same settings. I'll give it some time, in case I get another suggestion, then, if nothing else works, try resetting my BB to default factory settings and reinstall everything. I do have everything backed up.
In any case, thanks for your suggestion. Too bad that I had already tried that without success.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

It is possible the latest OS updates on the BB are causing this. Blackberry is pushing Android and the 9810 does not support it. You could try going back if you did do an upgrade but do a backup first. Who knows, it may be a change in gmail.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried going back to a previous update using the BB Desktop on my pc. I got a message that said in order to proceed I had to install something (I forgot what), so I clicked "install". Then I got "Please wait while Windows configures BB software". I waited but it hung up on that so I had to "cancel". Now on my BB I get "Uncaught exception: Java.lang.NullPointer Exception". I click OK, but nothing happens and the BB is hung up. Cant' access anything. Tried removing and replacing the battery but after recovering and unlocking, the message is still there and the BB is hung up. I tried reinstalling the latest update with my BB Desktop application on my pc (which still showed as installed), but same thing happened. I have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks tsac. I managed to solve the hang-up problem. I was able to reinstall the latest update, and now my BB is working as it should. I'll have to wait 4 hours to see if Contacts syncs. If it doesn't, guess I'll just live with it. I think your assessment re Android is probably correct. If it does sync, I'll add another post to this string.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Thanks, let us know how you make out.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Re-installation of the most recent operating system (for the Torch 9810) did the trick for all problems, including the syncing of Contacts. The original os must have become corrupted somehow. I couldn't have done it without your help, tsac. Very many thanks.
Rolyb
Old 08-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Glad it worked. One thing that is common is the OS upgrade if done via over the air vs. PC can be a problem.
I have found it works if I first download to a pc then upgrade. I also have has corrupted data and then the headaches start.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

New development which may or may not be related to the above string. All was working fine all day. Then this afternoon I was unable to delete a duplicate Task from my calendar. It had been duplicated when I reinstalled my OS and restored my data. So I removed the battery to reboot the BB. After it rebooted, I got the message: "Uncaught exception: Java.lang NullPointer Exception". When I pressed OK, nothing happened and the BB hung up. So I reinstalled the OS, and now it's fine again.
The message I got is identical to one I got previously when the BB was hung up (above string). Any idea what's causing it and whether or not it will keep happening?
Rolyb
Old 08-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just tried rebooting to see what would happen and got the same Uncaught exception warning which hung up the BB and hung it up again. So I'm reinstalling the OS again. I've ordered another BB Torch anyway (I like the model very much) so I guess I'll just have to not reboot my current device and then keep it as a spare when the other arrives. Is there any way I can correct this problem?
Rolyb
Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

One thought, if you reloaded any apps after reloading the OS, one could be causing this issue. If so try not adding any and check a reboot. Then add one and check again and so on.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

No, I hadn't loaded any apps at all. So I thought that perhaps the Contacts or Calendar sync might be causing the problem, so I reinstalled the OS, but did not click the sync button on setup. Then I tried rebooting (removing and replacing the battery), and the same thing happened. I could live with the "exception" notice, but not with being unable to get rid of it, the system hanging up, and having to reinstall the OS every time I reboot. I would really like to solve this problem, but more of a concern is whether there is a possibility that when I restore my data to the new BB, which I expect about mid August, the "exception" problem will transfer to the new BB.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #14
tsac
BlackBerry God

Doing some additional reading , I see a lot of the same error messages posted on various sites. It may be that Google or Blackberry has not made the necessary updates if the other changes or updates their applications or OS . As frustrating as it is there is almost nothing users can do except wait for a fix. Going back to older software does seem to work but then any new updates will be problematic.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

It never seems to stop. All was working fine (no rebooting). Then I didn't use my BB at all until late afternoon, when I tried to unlock it - and nothing! It's dead, and I have no idea why. Recharging with the ac adapter does nothing. And the BB won't connect to my pc, so I can't re-install the OS.
It still shows power when I slide open the keyboard, and it notified me of an email by a couple of beeps and the blinking red light, but nothing else. I think it's toast.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

blinking led is usually an indication of an OS error.
Try pulling the battery for a couple of minutes then replace and see if it will start.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #17
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

That didn't work. Already tried that several times. However, this morning I was able, after several attempts, to reinstall the OS, but it didn't fix the problem. As I write, I am trying again, and this time I got a "sound" response (like when something is booting up or a page is opening) shortly after the install began. More to follow.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #18
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I successfully reinstalled the OS again. I am able to access all the BB stored data using my pc while connected. When I disconnect the BB, I can vaguely see the screen, but it is almost completely blacked out. It's asking me for a password, and I can see the time at the top of the screen. The screen is not lighted up at all; it is quite black. What I can see is only just visible. The BB seems to be hung up. Entering the proper password does nothing. I think I can see the password appearing in the box as I enter it, but pushing the enter button does nothing.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #19
tsac
BlackBerry God

The Pc will power the BB and allow access. If you can see the screen when plugged into the pc then I suspect the battery may be defective. If not then you may have a hardware issue.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #20
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hardware issue, I believe. The screen doesn't light up under any circumstances, and all indications up until now are that the battery is fine. I also charged it up yesterday just in case. When I said I could read the screen, it was only by reflecting outside light on it so that what was on it would barely show up. There was no back-light whatsoever. I've reached the end of my thoughts on this, so I'll just wait until my new BB arrives. Thanks again for all your help. If I somehow find anything new on this problem, I'll reopen this dialogue.
Rolyb
Closed Thread