w3n.jember
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telkomsel
Default Need Help, Storm 2 restart by itself oftenly

Please Login to Remove!

I use Verizon 9550 and OS 9550 5.0.0.497/5.0.0.320

I experience handheld restarting randomly a few times a day, and the screen sometimes can not be pressed although it's not locked

anyone have the same problem ?

Any suggestion how to fix this... it's kinda annoying

Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
vzw8830

Carrier: Verizon

Same problem...had a storm 1 for 6 months with no problems. the storm 2 is rebooting 1 a day randomly, and yes, the screen will lock up on its own.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
xuser

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default Beginning to

I have my BB 9950 for a couple of weeks now. It didn't reboot at all until I installed the HTC Hero theme and enabled/configured the APN settings. Maybe it is a coincidence I installed the theme but I suspect it is the APN settings I enabled. I disabled the APN so we'll see if it reboots by itself again.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
stuarttunstall

Model: 9520
Carrier: Vodafone

Have you upgraded the software recently? and does the handset have an additional memory card installed?

The reason I ask, is I updated my old 8800 last week to the latest software, then it would keep rebooting over and over again.. I removed the memory card, and it cured the problem...

Since changed to a Storm 2 9520 and love the handset... so far

Stuart
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
xuser

Default No upgrade

When I bought my Verizon 9950 BB and got it unlocked, it already has the new OS 5. I didn't upgrade the OS. It also comes with the 16GB microSD card already installed.
After I disabled APN, it still reboots. I wonder if it is a bug in the new OS 5.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Hideo Gump

Model: 9550

There may/may not be a common element with the problem I experienced. My 9550 worked perfectly for about 10 days, then began rebooting itself. I first noticed it when driving on a bumpy gravel road; it happened several times when I pulled the USB charging cable; it happened lightly squeezing the touchscreen; it would happen reliably if I dropped the phone 1/2 - 1 inch flat onto a counter top. I concluded that it was behaving just like a battery pull maneuver each time. I suspected an intermittent electrical disconnect between the battery and the circuitry. I took the phone back to a Verizon store, traded for a new 9550, and have had no further issues. My problem may have been a unique one, or perhaps there is a build-quality issue with the 9550?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
niko__blue

Carrier: Telus

HIdeo I think you hit it on the nail there. it always appeared when i would pull the phone out of my pocket it would be restarting. never made sence to me at all. i thought it was a software issue. i was pushing a button on it and instead of it coming out of stand bye it would restart untill i placed it down on my coffee table and it restarted.
i lifted it just an inch or 2 off the table and dropped it and it restarted again!! then i tried giving it a bit of a shake and supprise. restart... so it has to be an issue with a loose battery or connection inside the phone.

i will be taking mine back to trade it for a new one on monday. fingers crossed its a rareissue. it did take me a wile to find this post online so its a good sign not to many people are having this problem.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Hideo Gump

Niko -
Sorry you had the trouble, but it sure sounds like the same problem. Good luck in making the exchange - hafta say that I received excellent customer service from Verizon when I explained the situation to them. I've had zero issues with my new phone.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
w3n.jember

Carrier: Telkomsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko__blue View Post
HIdeo I think you hit it on the nail there. it always appeared when i would pull the phone out of my pocket it would be restarting. never made sence to me at all. i thought it was a software issue. i was pushing a button on it and instead of it coming out of stand bye it would restart untill i placed it down on my coffee table and it restarted.
i lifted it just an inch or 2 off the table and dropped it and it restarted again!! then i tried giving it a bit of a shake and supprise. restart... so it has to be an issue with a loose battery or connection inside the phone.

i will be taking mine back to trade it for a new one on monday. fingers crossed its a rareissue. it did take me a wile to find this post online so its a good sign not to many people are having this problem.

I have same problem here... and i asked one of my friend that has 9550, he also has the same problem

hopefully next version OS will fix this
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
xuser

Default Verizon

I wonder if Verizon will entertain my warranty since I got mine from eBay and got it unlocked and using it with Rogers in Canada. If so, how long will it take to get a replacement?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Mante

Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideo Gump View Post
There may/may not be a common element with the problem I experienced. My 9550 worked perfectly for about 10 days, then began rebooting itself. I first noticed it when driving on a bumpy gravel road; it happened several times when I pulled the USB charging cable; it happened lightly squeezing the touchscreen; it would happen reliably if I dropped the phone 1/2 - 1 inch flat onto a counter top. I concluded that it was behaving just like a battery pull maneuver each time. I suspected an intermittent electrical disconnect between the battery and the circuitry. I took the phone back to a Verizon store, traded for a new 9550, and have had no further issues. My problem may have been a unique one, or perhaps there is a build-quality issue with the 9550?
This is the best explanation I have seen for this problem but I fall under the same category as well.

I initially thought my first S2 had issues becuase I dropped it (while still in box) along with my S1 which actually hit the pavement. To no surprise the S1 was still on and ready to go. Long story short I am on my 2nd S2 and it is still restarting once it is touched.

Heading back to the Vzw store for a 3rd just because.

edit: why in the world does it take 10-15 min for this device to be usable?? SX86 chip inside??? Maybe DX

Last edited by Mante; 12-16-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: missed a point..
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Mante

Carrier: vzw

Received my 3rd storm2 and this time so far so good. This time around I did not keep my battery I took the new dead one. *wishful thinking*
Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
dandan83

Model: 9530

I had the same issue with my previous Storm, so it's not something that's just happening with the Storm 2. I did not have a problem getting a replacement as the issue was duplicated several times while I was in the store. On another note the first Storm I had did not reboot when setting it down, it did however reboot by itself several times a day.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
xuser

Default What's the scoop?

So I see some had their 3rd Storm already and some people have similar problem with the first Storm rebooting. I'm very hesitant to send my Storm2 for a replacement as I'm not sure how long it will take.
Maybe a defect in the battery?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #15
jgalente

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

I have a storm 2 for about two months now and it reboots a lot. I guess that it's off to Verizon to try and get a new one. The worst part is that as soon as it reboots it takes almost three minutes to come back on good enough to make a call. In that time some one always calls me with an important call. I thought it was me. I'm so happy to see that others have the same problem.

Jg
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Mike911

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I've had the same problem with two previous phones (leading to me returning it and resetting my account). The problem with those was when I was on the BlackBerry browser it would freeze up and reset. I went back to the Storm 2 a week ago and have experienced it twice with this unit. I love the phone and love having a BlackBerry but am considering going to the Droid. If it continues to happen I will be returning this one too.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
hankpb

Have owned my Storm 2 for more than a month and same restart symptoms (removing from pocket, shaking, placing it on counter). Got on the phone with Verizon Blackberry customer support and they insist they never heard of anyone having these problems with the Storm 2. Nevertheless, after following their orders to wipe the handheld, it still had restart problems. Since I've owned the Storm 2 for more than 30 days, Verizon is sending me a "Like-New" Refurb. Gee. Hope this works out.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
dad2emk

this is happening to my wife's 9550 but not mine. I am thinking that a couple of you that are suspecting intermittent electrical disconnect might be on the right path. I found a posting elsewhere about it and it could be a very simple solution...the battery cover could be a little loose and allowing the battery to come away from it's contacts. A posting elsewhere states that a person applied some tape to the inside of his battery cover and the restarting did not occur again as of 5 days after he made the fix. I know it's not ideal but it's a lot simpler to try that first rather than wiping your phone or constantly exchanging them at the store of via mail. I can't post links yet (newbie) but you can google "storm 2 9550 random restarts" and that person's blog should appear at the top of your search results. lonman6.com is his blogs url.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #19
pinkybutterfly

Model: 9530
Default Seems like I'm not alone

I seem to have the same problem. It started on day one with this phone. I have delt with it for months now. With my last phone (HTC), I had to make an insurance claim for an issue I was having. Two months later HTC came out with a free fix to the problem. And I was out the $90.
When this happened with my Storm I decided I wasn't paying a $35 restock fee or a $90 insurance fee. I figured one day I'd get it fixed for free. I was not going to pay again for something I could get fixed for free later.
So I have put a small piece of buisness card behind the battery and taped my battery in. Seems to be working OK for now. But it's only day one.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
haydenm315

Looks like I'm not alone. My paperweight2 has been rebooting on me sporadically. I did the drop test today on my desk and low and behold it rebooted.

I took a look at the battery compartment. There are 4 spring loaded pins that make contact with the battery. The contacts on the battery are slightly recessed but it seems like they should make good contact with the device. I think the phone has poorly designed contacts. The battery door has a thin piece of foam to hold the battery in place.

After reseating the battery, I tried to get the device to reboot while fiddling with the battery and was unsuccessful. Now I'm having trouble getting to reboot with the drop test. Sounds like this lemon is gonna put on quite a performance at the verizon store. I hope the thing falls on it's face like it's been doing for the last couple months every day or so. It's not looking good though. I'm shaking the crap out of it.... dropping it.. and now it's not rebooting now. Finally got it to go down again lightly tapping the long edge on the table.
Closed Thread