BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
logisnews

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Trying to use 8320 Wifi in NZ in hotels... help!

Please Login to Remove!

Every hotel I check into in New Zealand has this pay by the minute system where you go to the desk, get a slip with a code and enter it into your browser to start the billing.

I can manage this on my laptop but my blackberry won't work... I can connect to the hotel routers SSID but when I try to open a browser on the 8320 in order to enter the code, it won't work!

I even brought a DLink travel router with me assuming that I'd check into my hotel, plug the single cable from my router into the wall (and since it clones the MAC address from my laptop) get a little network set up. I did this at the hotels in Thailand where I had a cabled connection but no luck here in NZ... virtually no one has a cabled connection and 99% of the hotels don't know what I'm talking about.

Can anyone here help? Do you know of some way to get the blackberry 8320 wifi curve to log into these types of networks so I can get a UMA connection set up?

Or any idea on how to get my Dlink travel router to (a) catch the wifi signal and B split it so as to deliver an IP address to my bblackberry all without connecting via a cable?

My Dlink has a 3 way switch -- router, Access point and one other... I forget what it is... I don't have it with me at the moment.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If I can find an internet cafe that only has the WEP security and not this funky pay by the minute thing I have no problem because all I have to do is enter the WEP key.

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

The third setting on the Dlink is Client and it doesn't seem like it'll help. That would connect your laptop to the wifi network if it didn't have wifi capability built in.

Do you have Opera mini browser? If you can't get the website to trigger in BB browser, that might. Also maybe try changing the emulation mode on the BB browser. I had the same problem on a stopover in Taiwan and could never get it to work.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
logisnews

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Maybe I'll try this...

Opera doesn't work... get a time out error.

Maybe I can try using the DLink travel router in client mode to establish the connection and then try switching it to router mode? Sounds like a long shot.

anyway, thanks for replying.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
The third setting on the Dlink is Client and it doesn't seem like it'll help. That would connect your laptop to the wifi network if it didn't have wifi capability built in.

Do you have Opera mini browser? If you can't get the website to trigger in BB browser, that might. Also maybe try changing the emulation mode on the BB browser. I had the same problem on a stopover in Taiwan and could never get it to work.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers

Most such connections are unsecured which let you connect to their networks but you will be directed to that login page until you enter cridentials.

Have you tried this: Setup WiFi --> Scan for networks --> Find your network and connect --> Save profile name --> on the next screen the BB should show you a button "Wi-Fi Hotspot Login".

That is suppose to use the network that you just added and attend to go on the internet showing you the page where you can enter the username/password, that might work if the BB is able to display that page properly.

See attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hotspot.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	10549  
Old 02-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

With the above, I think there's a thread around the forums here with a trick to "tickling" these hotspots. You find our your local device IP after connecting with Wifi, let's say it's 192.168.1.5 and the gateway is then 192.168.1.1. You open up the BB browser, Menu -> Go To and type in http://192.168.1.1/ -- this contacts the hotspot gateway and sets up the association or something...

(I tried to do a quick scan for the thread, not finding it - it's buried somewhere in the Wifi subforum I do believe)
Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
jcbauerca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

I shut down the Mobile Network on the Manage Connection icon, then open the browser and go to google or something which then brings up the hotel login screen. After loggin in, then I would turn Mobile Network back on and the UMA icon would show up. Try that.
Closed Thread