Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Issues with Yahoo wireless contact sync

Please Login to Remove!

I am having trouble with the Yahoo contact sync. I spent some time cleaning up my contact list on my device, then did a one-way sync from both my device to Yahoo and my device to Outlook. So, my contact lists in all three locations should be exactly the same, correct? Then, I activated the Yahoo contact sync option from the e-mail settings on my device. The sync was performed successfully. Then, when I went through my contact list on my device, nearly all of my contacts were duplicated.

My questions:

1. Is the fact that some of my contacts were once linked up through Facebook having anything to do with this duplication? On many of the duplicate entries, one entry will have simply the contact name and number, and then the other will have the same name and number but with some Facebook information also (company name, picture, etc.). I'm pretty sure the contact with the Facebook information originated on my device, and the "plain" contact originated on my Yahoo list. So are these recognized as two different contacts? Even so, I really thought that a cleaned up device contact list and a one-way sync PRIOR TO activating the two-way contacts sync would prevent something like this from happening...if my device and Yahoo lists were the same prior to activation of the two-way sync, why am I getting duplicated entries? Unless Facebook contact info from my phone does not cleanly sync over to Yahoo, thus creating a duplicate contact?

2. If I'm understanding the "two-way sync" feature correctly, if I add/remove/edit a contact on my device, that information will automatically be reflected on my Yahoo contacts list...and if I add/remove/edit on my Yahoo contacts list, that information will automatically be reflected on my device...correct? It does not seem to be working this way for me. I've made changes in both locations, and it doesn't seem to be updating on either end.

3. Is there a way to "Reconcile Now" in regards to the Yahoo contact sync? Or when you make changes, do you have to just keep checking back to see if your changes are truly being reconciled?

4. What can I do to ensure that I'm using these features correctly from this point forward and maintaining a clean contact list?

So far, what seemed to be a convenient feature is actually causing a lot of extra work for me. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
jrice8002003

Update: it seems to be working now. I went through my entire contact list/calendar and deleted everything Facebook...all Facebook birthdays, all contact pictures, company names, etc. It was a daunting task. Activated wireless contact sync again and it looks like it's working. It duplicated a few more entries again, but once I cleaned those up, it synced my changes to my Yahoo contact list and I've been up and running all day. I've also made changes from my Yahoo list to test it out, and it does update my device. I'm not sure how long it takes for the update to take effect, but at least it's working.

Looks like Facebook was the culprit. One little freaking check box...what's weird is that unchecking the "connect with BlackBerry contacts application" doesn't undo anything...so really the only way that I found was to manually delete everything. None of the Facebook information was showing up in my Yahoo or Outlook contact list (even after a one-way sync), so I couldn't use a PC to quickly remove the items. Oh well.

It's also nice to have all of those stinking birthday reminders off my calendar too...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
keano
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

How did you get yahoo contacts to sync? Did you isntall somethign like google sync or? Which setting did you use on your blackberry?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
jrice8002003

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano
How did you get yahoo contacts to sync? Did you isntall somethign like google sync or? Which setting did you use on your blackberry?
From your device: Setup/E-mail settings/log in/select your yahoo email. It's a check box in the sync settings. I think you can also select this from your BIS log-in.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
keano

Thanks. Did not realize that feature was available? How does it know which way to sync or is it both ways?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
jrice8002003

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano
Thanks. Did not realize that feature was available? How does it know which way to sync or is it both ways?
It was just pushed out recently, a few weeks ago I think. It's a 2-way sync. I've tested it both ways, and so far it seems to be working well. Once I cleaned my contacts of all the Facebook crap, that is.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
keano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice8002003 View Post
Wirelessly posted

It was just pushed out recently, a few weeks ago I think. It's a 2-way sync. I've tested it both ways, and so far it seems to be working well. Once I cleaned my contacts of all the Facebook crap, that is.
Do you know how long does it take for the sync to happen? I have done the syns since this morning, but I have not seen any changes in either place.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
jrice8002003

I can't say for sure. I made changes in the morning, then didn't check back until the afternoon. They didn't happen instantly, but it did happen somewhere in that time frame. I can tolerate a reasonable delay. I don't update my contacts enough to ever have it become an issue for me. The e-mail timing is flawless, so that's what keeps me happy. I hope they add the sync feature for the calendar.

If you haven't noticed the sync changes by now, something probably isn't right. I would try removing your e-mail accounts from your device, maybe even do a battery pull for good measure. Then re-add them, and make sure the contact sync box is checked. You may find that it will duplicate some of your entries, but from my experience at least, once you clean it up, it's good to go.
Closed Thread