BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #21
baysurfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Someone suggested changing the ESN...how do you go about doing this?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysurfer View Post
I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

then buy one off ebay or craigslist thats going to be the only way there is no way to change esn its been tried on numerous occasions

and for what its worth I would love to be able to use my BB with out a data plan. But I am stuck using a dumb phone

Last edited by Dawg; 01-07-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
BBStormJan09

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
then buy one off ebay or craigslist thats going to be the only way there is no way to change esn its been tried on numerous occasions

and for what its worth I would love to be able to use my BB with out a data plan. But I am stuck using a dumb phone
"I just want the Storm - I don't need Verizon's data plan since I already have one with T-Mobile and the Storm works just fine on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

Someone suggested changing the ESN...how do you go about doing this? "

Why not just hack it? the esn number can be seen on the box containing the device or underneath the battery generally.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want a BB with the Data plan... I'm going with the Ferrari example
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
baysurfer

I don't feel like paying $600 or $700 on eBay when I can get it for $200 from Verizon. I just need to figure out how to not get tied up with their data plan.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #25
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Quote:
I don't feel like paying $600 or $700 on eBay when I can get it for $200 from Verizon. I just need to figure out how to not get tied up with their data plan.
The only way I can see it is if you *DO NOT* buy the phone from Verizon.

Otherwise, if you buy it from Verizon, you're stuck with the data plan.

You can't have it both ways - business people a lot smarter than us (or at least with market data a lot smarter than us) came up with these plans.

If they didn't require the data plan, the phone would sell for $299-$399 w/ a two-year contract.

It's that simple. Verizon wants to spread their revenues out rather than take all of the money up-front.

More complex -- it helps them "match" the capitalization expenses on their network equipment. Otherwise they look stupid (in the investment community) making all this money now yet having revenues tail off over time (see: AT&T w/ the iPhone sold for $599, then $399, now $199 - conversely their iPhone monthly plans have gone UP in price over the same period).
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #26
baysurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
The only way I can see it is if you *DO NOT* buy the phone from Verizon.

Otherwise, if you buy it from Verizon, you're stuck with the data plan.

You can't have it both ways - business people a lot smarter than us (or at least with market data a lot smarter than us) came up with these plans.

If they didn't require the data plan, the phone would sell for $299-$399 w/ a two-year contract.

It's that simple. Verizon wants to spread their revenues out rather than take all of the money up-front.

More complex -- it helps them "match" the capitalization expenses on their network equipment. Otherwise they look stupid (in the investment community) making all this money now yet having revenues tail off over time (see: AT&T w/ the iPhone sold for $599, then $399, now $199 - conversely their iPhone monthly plans have gone UP in price over the same period).
Thanks for the clarification. Your point makes sense - I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to get my hands on a Storm
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #27
jdmevo8
Thumbs Must Hurt

First off, why would you want a blackberry without the data plan? Is it a " status " thing for people. Some people just want a BB just to have one. The data plan is fairly reasonably priced. With the internet, there is a lot to do. I don't think you can use the BB messenger without the data plan.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #28
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:

If you mean changing the ESN on the phone, you cannot legally do this. Also, the ESN is tied to the PIN, so you would lose the functionality of the BB by changing it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmevo8 View Post
First off, why would you want a blackberry without the data plan? Is it a " status " thing for people. Some people just want a BB just to have one. The data plan is fairly reasonably priced. With the internet, there is a lot to do. I don't think you can use the BB messenger without the data plan.
Because my life is on this thing but with the ecomomy the way it is i cant afford the extra 30 bucks a month for email. But I love the phone the PIM. I have carried one for more years than not now. So you kind of get used to a device its hard to go back.

why do you need a car when you have legs is it a status thing?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #30
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

I don't understand.

If I did NOT have the data plan (which I don't on my second line), there's no way I'd walk around with a Storm (or any other BlackBerry). I use a RAZR MAXX ve, which has better sound quality, better dialing, and maintains enough of the "PIM" capabilities that I don't miss using the BlackBerry for voice-only.

Hell, look at why the "flip BlackBerry" has basically been a failure - people don't want phone-esque BlackBerry devices.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I don't understand.

If I did NOT have the data plan (which I don't on my second line), there's no way I'd walk around with a Storm (or any other BlackBerry). I use a RAZR MAXX ve, which has better sound quality, better dialing, and maintains enough of the "PIM" capabilities that I don't miss using the BlackBerry for voice-only.

Hell, look at why the "flip BlackBerry" has basically been a failure - people don't want phone-esque BlackBerry devices.
your wrong you would be surprised at the number of people who use the BB with out a data plan. I would love to use it, I used to be like the rest and wonder that myself. But I have no reason to have email at my fingertips any more. But I do miss my keyboard for texting. I hate having to multitap
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

VZW used to allow you to cancel your data plan, but it sounds like they don't any longer...

How about just terminate your contract? why pay for any monthly fees if you're going to unlock it for use on T-Mobile? That'd still be under $600 (unless early termination isn't an option).

The reason you're buying a $500+ device for $200 is that they expect to make it up in the monthly fees... It's like Best Buy selling a laptop for $200, but requiring you to pay them for a DSL connection - oh wait, they did that w/ the MSN $400 rebate...

I understand where you're coming from though.

For me, my area is pretty much stuck w/ VZW (which isn't a bad thing imho)... Alltel was the other key competitor and now they're merging...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #33
baysurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertioch View Post
VZW used to allow you to cancel your data plan, but it sounds like they don't any longer...

How about just terminate your contract? why pay for any monthly fees if you're going to unlock it for use on T-Mobile? That'd still be under $600 (unless early termination isn't an option).

The reason you're buying a $500+ device for $200 is that they expect to make it up in the monthly fees... It's like Best Buy selling a laptop for $200, but requiring you to pay them for a DSL connection - oh wait, they did that w/ the MSN $400 rebate...

I understand where you're coming from though.

For me, my area is pretty much stuck w/ VZW (which isn't a bad thing imho)... Alltel was the other key competitor and now they're merging...
Well, I could jump ship to Verizon since I'm no longer in a contract with T-Mo. The thing is that I've already got a great deal with T-Mo since I locked into a low monthly rate with them over 4 years ago and I don't want to give that up. If I switched to Verizon, I'd be paying $50/month more than what I'm paying now (and that's for voice AND data/e-mail).

I just think that VZW shouldn't force people to get stuck on a data plan if they're buying a BB. If the service is good and you like the phone, chances are that you're going to be a customer of theirs for a while anyway. They're still going to make their profit in the end.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #34
viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I sell phones and you would be surprised at how many people come in and want a "Blackberry" but does not want it to be big, without a data plan, and has a camera. In all of honesty, these people are posers and just want to say they have a "Blackberry" because people with higher standards of living have them. All they want to do is make phone calls and text their friends. This completely defeats the purpose of a Blackberry.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet2100 View Post
I sell phones and you would be surprised at how many people come in and want a "Blackberry" but does not want it to be big, without a data plan, and has a camera. In all of honesty, these people are posers and just want to say they have a "Blackberry" because people with higher standards of living have them. All they want to do is make phone calls and text their friends. This completely defeats the purpose of a Blackberry.
Has nothing to do with being a poser, the phones that have keyboards on them suck. The Blackberry keyboard to me is far superior to any of the dumb phones on the market.

Now I know why people used to get mad at me for using these same stupid arguments you all are using.

Boy do I need to apologize to some people. Don't questions others motives just because you don't understand.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #36
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet2100 View Post
I sell too, and I believe there really are some people who want it without data that would put it to good use, but I agree with you mostly it's someone who just wants it to say they have it, particularly the Storm. Most of the time it's younger kids.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #37
baysurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Has nothing to do with being a poser, the phones that have keyboards on them suck. The Blackberry keyboard to me is far superior to any of the dumb phones on the market.

Now I know why people used to get mad at me for using these same stupid arguments you all are using.

Boy do I need to apologize to some people. Don't questions others motives just because you don't understand.
Right on Dawg. I wouldn't pay much attention to this poster - I'm sure he views himself as a person with a "higher" standard of living than everyone else...that's why he sells cell phones for a living.
Closed Thread