Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
pandaman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default IT Nazi

Please Login to Remove!

I was told today by our IT systems admin that he would not connect my new Storm to the corporate network because it is not standard company kit and they don't support it.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong here - I was led to believe that the BES software does not care what Blackberry model you are using - all you do is activate the account from the server end, set up the phone with an activation code and off you go ??

Am I being BS-ed here or what ?

Last edited by pandaman; 12-12-2008 at 06:37 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

You can setup a BIS Acct and Poll the mail from your company server. Unless there is something unique about the Storm

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I can't figure out why there are approved BB devices either especially when the BES admin restricts features anyway. It isn't like you can get a Curve and use the camera if cameras are restricted.

We can't access mail except through a corporate network connection (VPN or office), so, Blackberry BES is it unless I want to get my laptop out.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
I was told today by our IT systems admin that he would not connect my new Storm to the corporate network because it is not standard company kit and they don't support it.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong here - I was led to believe that the BES software does not care what Blackberry model you are using - all you do is activate the account from the server end, set up the phone with an activation code and off you go ??

No, you're probably not being "BS-ed".
If your company has an Enterprise Service Policy on their BES which only permits certain model handhelds and/or certain PIN numbers for devices... then you're out of luck.

It's their BES and they can do whatever they want with it.

Sounds like they only want you to use company-approved equipment, which is not at all unreasonable.
It shouldn't be the responsibility of the IT Department to support your personal equipment, especially if they are unfamiliar with it.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Referring to IT people as Nazis is always a bright thing to do here...

Akosnitzky, you are wrong. Many companies - at least those with decent security departments, do not allow BIS to poll their Exchange servers.

Many companies also do not allow personal devices on their network.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:

You are right the BES don't care what model the BlackBerry is. However you are probably not being BS'ed

Your company most likely does have a standard IT policy and BlackBerry model(s) for standardization, how happy would you be if they activated your BlackBerry and disabled that nice 3.2 MP camera? Besides as stated aboce it isn't a company employee's job to support your own personal device.

If you want company email that bad, setup a BIS account and forward your work email to it.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
pandaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandsandwich View Post
No, you're probably not being "BS-ed".
If your company has an Enterprise Service Policy on their BES which only permits certain model handhelds and/or certain PIN numbers for devices... then you're out of luck.

It's their BES and they can do whatever they want with it.

Sounds like they only want you to use company-approved equipment, which is not at all unreasonable.
It shouldn't be the responsibility of the IT Department to support your personal equipment, especially if they are unfamiliar with it.
Are you an IT administrator - cause you sound just like the guy I spoke to earlier today. I cannot understand this whole "company approved equipment BS". Correct me if I'm wrong - all Blackberry devices access email via BES exactly the same way - via a proprietary encrypted protocol? So if that is right, who gives a toss what model I have, provided it is running the correct version of client software (which I am sure you can control via BES). See the thing is a blackberry isn't quite the same as a PC. It isn't connected to the whole network and does not pose the same kind of security threat.

The worrying aspect of what I've read on this thread is that the IT administrator could disable certain features on MY device - well that sux royal ass. Could an admin actually disable my camera or even prevent me from accessing my media card? What a joke. Why would they do that - other than spite?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Yes, they can and they do. Some companies have policies against cameras in the workplace. Or they want their Blackberrys running on their network using their BES licenses on their BES server to not make phone calls. Or not send texts. Or not use Bluetooth. So they set an IT Policy.

The minute you connect your BlackBerry to their network, these policies are enforced. They are not for spite. They are to enforce company policies. You have a choice - don't connect to their BES, or play by their rules.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
pandaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

You can setup a BIS Acct and Poll the mail from your company server. Unless there is something unique about the Storm
If anything I would want to do the reverse - poll my company email from an external BIS account (or is that what you meant).

Is that possible though? The company email server is behind a company firewall - you can't poll it from an external site.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You answered your own question. As I said earlier, companies with security policies do not allow devices to poll their e-mail environment.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
pandaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Yes, they can and they do. Some companies have policies against cameras in the workplace. Or they want their Blackberrys running on their network using their BES licenses on their BES server to not make phone calls. Or not send texts. Or not use Bluetooth. So they set an IT Policy.

The minute you connect your BlackBerry to their network, these policies are enforced. They are not for spite. They are to enforce company policies. You have a choice - don't connect to their BES, or play by their rules.
Thanks for that info NJBlackberry. If I had known that I would have bought an iPhone and just asked the company to give me a blackberry. That information should be spelt out to any prospective blackberry purchaser - these policies have the potential to completely invalidate 90% of the reasons anyone would buy one of these things for personal use.

What a very sad and sterile world we are coming to - overrun by lowest common denominator ass covering policy.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Pandaman, your attitude stinks quite frankly!

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong - all Blackberry devices access email via BES exactly the same way - via a proprietary encrypted protocol?
Yes
Quote:
So if that is right, who gives a toss what model I have, provided it is running the correct version of client software
Well, your IT department! you honestly can't expect them to support a phone which they may know nothing about and have recieved no training in?
Quote:
See the thing is a blackberry isn't quite the same as a PC. It isn't connected to the whole network and does not pose the same kind of security threat.
Ummm, your wrong there! if your BB is connected to your corp network, and you leave it on a bus somewhere (and havn't properly locked the phone) then joe bloggs now has access to any intranet site and most network devices your compnay may have!

Quote:
The worrying aspect of what I've read on this thread is that the IT administrator could disable certain features on MY device - well that sux royal ass. Could an admin actually disable my camera or even prevent me from accessing my media card? What a joke. Why would they do that - other than spite?
Why is this worrying?? this is why companys "supply you" with a phone rather than you having to use your own!! Yes they can disable your camera (I've worked on government accounts where cameras are stricly prohibited onsite, and so are disabled) and yes, prevent you from using a media card, imagen what would happedn, if you recieved a mail with a company confidential attachement and you saved it to the card...then lost your phone or had it stolen!

I really do dispaire sometimes at the total ignorance of some people, if your IT guys did cave into your request to have your BB on their BES, then I'm sure you'd be the first to jump up and down when they refuse to support you when you say your having problems with your mails!

As for BIS access to your company mail, no large company would let you poll via pop3 mail.

Rant over!

Last edited by skyman84; 12-12-2008 at 08:34 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
soupandsandwich

pandaman, you have a lot of growing up to do.
Welcome to the real world, where you don't always get what you want.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Stinks when that happens.
Return the BlackBerry. Get an iPhone or a Sidekick and be happy.
Gen Y at its finest.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Thanks for that info NJBlackberry. If I had known that I would have bought an iPhone and just asked the company to give me a blackberry. That information should be spelt out to any prospective blackberry purchaser - these policies have the potential to completely invalidate 90% of the reasons anyone would buy one of these things for personal use.

What a very sad and sterile world we are coming to - overrun by lowest common denominator ass covering policy.
It's your responsibility to research such things before you purchase. You could simply have checked with your IT department to see if they would allow you to connect before got the Storm.

Disagree that not being able to use a personal device on a company network invalidates any reason to buy. I have two blackberries -- one company and on personal. I don not want my personal device hooked up to the company network, even if they would allow it. I don't want my personal email monitored by the company -- by the way, I also don't have my personal email sent to my business email address nor do I read my personal email on my company computer. They own the equipment and the network, they have the right to put any restrictions on it they choose for whatever reason they choose. And it probably spells it out clearly in your company policies if you would bother to read them. If you don't like it, your choice is to find another employer who doesn't employ similar restrictions. Good luck with that.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
pandaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman84 View Post
Pandaman, your attitude stinks quite frankly!

Yes

Well, your IT department! you honestly can't expect them to support a phone which they may know nothing about and have recieved no training in?
Ummm, your wrong there! if your BB is connected to your corp network, and you leave it on a bus somewhere (and havn't properly locked the phone) then joe bloggs now has access to any intranet site and most network devices your compnay may have!

Why is this worrying?? this is why companys "supply you" with a phone rather than you having to use your own!! Yes they can disable your camera (I've worked on government accounts where cameras are stricly prohibited onsite, and so are disabled) and yes, prevent you from using a media card, imagen what would happedn, if you recieved a mail with a company confidential attachement and you saved it to the card...then lost your phone or had it stolen!

I really do dispaire sometimes at the total ignorance of some people, if your IT guys did cave into your request to have your BB on their BES, then I'm sure you'd be the first to jump up and down when they refuse to support you when you say your having problems with your mails!

As for BIS access to your company mail, no large company would let you poll via pop3 mail.

Rant over!
1. No-one is asking anyone to support the phone - just connect it to the BES srver and I get my email - simple !!

2. If I lose the phone I lose the phone. I take a company laptop home everyday and the potential to lose corporate info from that is far greater - how easy is it to remove a laptop harddrive. Whether or not I own the phone is not going to matter either way if I lose it - it comes down to trust - does the company trust the person with the company information.

3. If it's a company device then you may want to disable features to make sure the device is being used for legitimate business reasons. On a private device ... please explain?

4. The only ignorance I see is where IT administrators forget the one reason why they even have a job - to SUPPORT THE USERS, not to act like trolls. You are there to provide a service - to help the people that bring the bacon home!! Don't forget that IT admin is an overhead support function. How naive some people are.

5. As far as polling email I agree with you - that would be stupid.

Last edited by pandaman; 12-12-2008 at 08:48 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:

Actually, you bought a device for personal use. So use it for personal use and don't connect it to the company's BES... with the number and magnitude of the various security risks (including lost computers, external drives and thumb drives containing corporate secrets and/or personal information) the 'IT Nazis' (YOUR words and definitely NOT a recommended term) are only doing their job.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
4. The only ignorance I see is where IT administrators forget the one reason why they even have a job - to SUPPORT THE USERS, not to act like trolls. You are there to provide a service - to help the people that being the bacon home!! Don;t forget that IT admin is an overhead support function. How naive some people are.
No, they are there to support legitimate busines purposes. Not an employee's personal desires. They are doing your job. And the ignorance is not on their part.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #19
soupandsandwich

Quote:
1. No-one is asking anyone to support the phone - just connect it to the BES srver and I get my email - simple !!

2. If I lose the phone I lose the phone. I take a company laptop home everyday and the potential to lose corporate info from that is far greater - how easy is it to remove a laptop harddrive. Whether or not I own the phone is not going to matter either way if I lose it - it comes down to trust - does the company trust the person with the company information.

3. If it's a company device then you may want to disable features to make sure the device is being used for legitimate business reasons. On a private device ... please explain?

4. The only ignorance I see is where IT administrators forget the one reason why they even have a job - to SUPPORT THE USERS, not to act like trolls. You are there to provide a service - to help the people that being the bacon home!! Don;t forget that IT admin is an overhead support function. How naive some people are.

5. As far as polling email I agree with you - that would be stupid.
Reading this nonsense actually makes me sick to my stomach.
Definitely done with this thread.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Panda - you are missing a key point - you are connecting your device to their network. There is no PERSONAL in PC. You lose the right to control it once it is on their network.

You are getting no support (or sympathy) for your stupid attacks on IT Administrators) here.

And if you lost your BlackBerry and it had critical or confidential information on it and you did not follow their policies, then the company would have the right to fire you.
Closed Thread