BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #41
richpjr

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

It's humorous to see people drawing these radical conclusions about how a device that hasn't been released yet is going to look or feel. These pictures are reportedly quite old and supposedly look nothing like what the final version is going to be, yet people have already concluded that it can't compete the with iPhone. Very premature.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #42
StayFrostyx23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wow it looks excellent. Wish I could get my hands on this thing right now. XD
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #43
DMX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: CURVE
Carrier: FIDO

Is it possible this is photoshopped?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #44
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

The key (no pun intended) is how user friendly the keyboard is going to be.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #45
vmladenov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Guess
Carrier: Quit trying to see my carrier!
Default Nice

The phone looks really nice. Too bad that it won't come to T-Mobile and others.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #46
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX View Post
Is it possible this is photoshopped?
I highly doubt it. This was from a reputable source (Kevin @ CrackBerry.com). When the photoshopped ones come out, they are usually associated with a shady website somewhere and no one can tell where they come from. I would have to say on photoshop

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #47
TallPaul86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: 27A2D112
Carrier: O2 UK

I've only recently been introduced and settling into the Blackberry way of things (had my 8700g for about 3 months now at least and loving it so far!) and yes this does seem like a departure or evolution even for RIM...

I'm going to reserve my judgement on this until i see a UK release (regardless on what network, so i can have a play about with it in store) so for now, looks alright, sounds alright but then again as with any phone it's all down to the software and how it can execute its full potential and functionality...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #48
acoustix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

"If people will take 10 minutes and read about the Iphone 3G and it's capabilities and how Apple has totally changed this device to a more corporate device and overall a phone that anyone can use from young to old you will realize Apple has indeed set the bar."

I have to disagree on the corporate comment. The iPhone cannot be remotely managed in the same manner as a BlackBerry. The iPhone can only get software from the apple store, whereas I can push out software to the BB from my BES. I can also set policies for the BB, not so much on the iPhone.

Bottom line is that the iPhone is still a personal gadget and has still has no place in the enterprise for companies who truly care about security and policies. Microsoft still has a long way to go in developing ActiveSync, too.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #49
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
"If people will take 10 minutes and read about the Iphone 3G and it's capabilities and how Apple has totally changed this device to a more corporate device and overall a phone that anyone can use from young to old you will realize Apple has indeed set the bar."

I have to disagree on the corporate comment. The iPhone cannot be remotely managed in the same manner as a BlackBerry. The iPhone can only get software from the apple store, whereas I can push out software to the BB from my BES. I can also set policies for the BB, not so much on the iPhone.

Bottom line is that the iPhone is still a personal gadget and has still has no place in the enterprise for companies who truly care about security and policies. Microsoft still has a long way to go in developing ActiveSync, too.
That pretty much echos what I think about the iPhone. I personally am interested in it, but I don't think corporate users are too interested in coverflow album art or pinch/enlarging photos or most of the "wow, look at that" features. The iPhone is all about the big beautiful screen mainly, and the typing, security, email, and synch comes second. You can fanboy it all you want, and it's a remarkable device, but it's not as good as a BB for the corporate messageladen person.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #50
ofgortens

the phone reminds me of the LG Voyager from the look alone. I am sure it works entirely different. I myself have never fancied the touch screen that the voyager had but that is just my opinion.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #51
jstylz510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

So its a wash.

The iPhone is going corporate and the BB is going consumer. I always like how people say the BB's is trying to be an iPhone in the consumer market. Well here is some breaking news, the iPhone is trying to be like the BB's in the corporate market.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #52
meniac

Carrier: Rogers

This phone looks pretty good, but I'd still rather get the Bold or Javelin :P Touch screen keyboards just don't do it for me.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #53
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
Couldn't agree more! I just love how people compare the iPhone to BB. They are targeted at two completely different segments of buyers. BB has always been considered a corporate device. The first consumer model in my eyes was the Pearl, and it gained popularity fast. I can't count how many I see in a day. The Curve took it to the next nevel. Now the Bold. Please, people. BlackBerry's are messaging devices, not an iPod with a phone attached. I think RIM is working hard on making a BB more media friendly.
Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is way ahead of the curve in terms of technology. Apple has done a great job of releasing a revolutionary device, but calling it a BB Killer is a joke. No Copy/Paste, No MMS, "Complete" Push E-Mail support, & Laughingly short battery life (Could barely get 7 hours out of it, My Curve lasts 1.5-2 days.) to name a few "issues". I like a removable battery, but some people only own one.
The only BB that is an iPhone competitor is the Thunder. Not the Curve. Not the Bold.
I really couldn't disagree more. The distinction between consumer and corporate devices is blurring with each release from Apple or RIM. RIM started as corporate messaging devices, yes. iPhones started as consumer devices, yes. I got my BB from my company before I really knew what they were about. I'm slowly starting to use mine for photos, music and internet browsing, features typically associated with the consumer, not the corporate user. Many iPhone users I know started using their devices for photos, music, phone, browsing, and are now finding themselves wishing for better email integration. I think comparisons are inevitable and somewhat justified for users who begin to blur the line between corporate and consumer even further. If you only want to carry one device, comparisons are not only valid, but necessary. In my opinion, of course.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #54
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

what O.S. is it gonna have?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #55
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustix View Post

For now, but that will change. Bet on it. Remember the phone has only been out a year and is on its second rendition. Didn't the first BB look like a pager?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #56
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Didn't the first BB look like a pager?
Yes it did, but how long ago was that?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #57
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Yes it did, but how long ago was that?
BINGO, you got my point...
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #58
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlackBerry Kid View Post
what O.S. is it gonna have?
It's running OS 4.7. It's most likely going to be OS 4.6 optimized for touchscreen use.

Jibi posted this story in BlackBerry News a couple weeks back.
EXCLUSIVE: BlackBerry Thunder now the BlackBerry 9500, OS 4.7.0 | BlackBerryNews.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #59
shinra528

Model: 8830
Default It'll be a matter of personal preference.

Personally I was unimpressed with the original iPhone. Then when I heard about the new iPhone and what it had to offer I was seriously thinking about switching from Verizon to ATT to get the new iPhone.

Now, I've had all 4 major US carriers and have gotten by far the best service from Verizon and everyone I communicate with regularly has Verizon so for me to switch would be a big deal. So when I heard about how the new iPhone performed I cringed and quickly decided to stick with Verizon and wait for this to come out before getting a new phone.

Now this is coming out for Verizon and I'm very excited. I'm confident I'll get better network connectivity from a RIM device than the iPhone has and the larger size is great as I find the iPhone too thin for my hands. I already have a 160GB iPod so I don't need a phone that holds much if any music. Finally, as for the interface, I love the current Blackberry UI and if this isn't too different I know I will like it.

I really think that the iPhone vs. the Thunder will be totally a matter of personal preference as long as the as long as the touch screen doesn't suck and as long as it's at least as good as other Verizon touchscreens it will be OK.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #60
akim911
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

We are lucky we even know about this phone guys/have pictures. Two people working on the Thunder got fired from Mike L himself for releasing the pictures so early.
Closed Thread