BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
joespys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb 8800 vs iPhone - your thoughts?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok here we go - 10 days left before the iPhone tries to dominate. Yes it's nifty and may seem cool.

But I've become diehard Blackberry and come on I don't even care that there is no HTML email (yes I know some beta 3rd-party software) . .

So what are your thoughts? To iPhone or Not to iPhone?

Once you go BlackBerry! !
AT&T Wireless > Cingular > AT&T
Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I'm thinking the same as you. I am a die hard BB fan and use my 8703 strictly for business. IF and I mean IF the iPhone can do what it says it can do AND not freeze up and hold a charge longer than a day I will be leaving Verizon and going to AT&T. I do my business work on a Mac and would love a PDA phone that could sync to it without any third party software etc.

However, it is going to have to really convince me to switch as I have been with Verizon for several years.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
vzw8830
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A

Yea the carrier is the sticky point for me. I know what the coverage is up here wih CDMA and I love it along with the data speeds. I dont know if I could switch to ATT
Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I really don't think the two phones have much to do with each other. BB's are first and foremost communication devices. iPhones are first and foremost entertainment devices. I really don't think they appeal to the same customer base, save for all the gadget hounds out there.

My own thoughts on the iPhone: it'll probably be a cool device come the next generation.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I really don't think the two phones have much to do with each other. BB's are first and foremost communication devices. iPhones are first and foremost entertainment devices. I really don't think they appeal to the same customer base, save for all the gadget hounds out there.

My own thoughts on the iPhone: it'll probably be a cool device come the next generation.
I agree. Which is why it'll take a miracle to convince me to switch. I just wish there was a BB that would sync to my mac wirelessly.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
CZBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
I'm thinking the same as you. I am a die hard BB fan and use my 8703 strictly for business. IF and I mean IF the iPhone can do what it says it can do AND not freeze up and hold a charge longer than a day I will be leaving Verizon and going to AT&T. I do my business work on a Mac and would love a PDA phone that could sync to it without any third party software etc.

However, it is going to have to really convince me to switch as I have been with Verizon for several years.
Same here. Rich HTML is nice though and so full webpages.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
joespys
Thumbs Must Hurt

But RIM doesn't just let things go by - I think they will come back to compete. . . I mean they have introduced the Pearl and haven't looked back... and Pearl 2 is around the corner

Old 06-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
I agree. Which is why it'll take a miracle to convince me to switch. I just wish there was a BB that would sync to my mac wirelessly.
I wouldn't switch so long as the phone is on ATT. I tried the Curve out and it is a fantastic device, but ATT's service pales so badly compared to Verizon's, I couldn't make the jump.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

The 8800 and iPhone are in two totally different classes of devices, and thus, one cannot make an accurate comparison.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

No removable battery. Enough said.
This killed the Treo 600, and Palm quickly corrected it for the 650...how could Apple be so stupid?
8 hours...please, for the first 6 months...maybe.
Oh, and 2G...nope, not going to cut it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
RolyMo

Model: 9000
Carrier: BT UK

I hear that the iphone does not have a great battery life.
To me battery life, form factor, something that does not need resetting or crashes. I use an 8800 and a SE K800i. Both great devices. I will watch careful with interest to see how the Pearl 2 gets on in the phone dept.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #12
bmwmpower
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think it'll be a failure. Maybe not right away, but soon enough. Who wants to type an e-mail on a touchscreen keyboard? Been there, done that with my Motorola A1200. Too cool for school.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Spencer_CDS

PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
No removable battery. Enough said.
This killed the Treo 600, and Palm quickly corrected it for the 650...how could Apple be so stupid?
8 hours...please, for the first 6 months...maybe.
Oh, and 2G...nope, not going to cut it.
I concur. No MMS, either. What a crock.

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #14
joespys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
The 8800 and iPhone are in two totally different classes of devices, and thus, one cannot make an accurate comparison.
In the typical consumer's eye - it's another nifty PDA to deal with. BlackBerry is for the business user and one requiring stability. But since the Pearl once introduced and I think you can agree - the iPOD wielding. . . trendy LCD purchasing consumer was awakened with all the wonders of the BB devices.

So I think it is a valid point..... "we" may know the true functionality of a BB but remember RIM is marketing towards the average consumer - same market Apple hopes to keep and mesmorize like they did the iPOD with their iPhone

Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #15
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
Carrier: Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I disagree. They are both blazing hot new tech toys for boys and girls with disposable $$$.

8800- great email, decent phone, decent organizer, decent music player and functional browser
iPhone- should be great phone, great organizer, great music player, great browser and decent email

In fact the WSJ did a story on how big corps are overwhelmed with demand at the IT departments for info on whether the iPhone will work with servers. The inquiries were coming from big Wall Street banks and law firms- the same market that RIM has dominated for so long.

These devices are not as different as you'd think Hello Kitty dude.

Last edited by jewberry; 06-20-2007 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #16
joespys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewberry View Post
I disagree.
These devices are not as different as you'd think Hello Kitty dude.
Yup thats the point I was trying to make - "dude" RIM hopefully razzles us soon. Because as quickly as technology is moving. .. RIM has to stop being stingy on releasing technology it knows it already has. . . . . . . . .

Last edited by joespys; 06-20-2007 at 10:26 AM..
Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Apple - iPhone - Get Ready

Apple will sync with outlook it will be more of a business tool then people think. If they intergrate Ichat and a BES alternative for companies. More people will switch then people expect.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I think the iPhone is going to pull MANY customers from the BB. I know of at least 12 people (friends and colleagues) that will order the phone on the 29th. They all currently are using BB. I will either get the iPhone or the new Nokia E90 Communicator. That phone looks like it has everything but the sink attached and will kick the piss out of the 8800c/8830 in any feature comparison.
Cingular 8800
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

iPhone certainly looks cool. I think the look will impress many. But that lasts only so long. In the end, it's the quality of the experience that really keeps a customer in any company's court.

With BB, you have direct access to Lotus Notes, Exchange, or GroupWise. With iPhone, you'd have open up the company to standard ports like POP3 and IMAP, and thus invite spam, and insecure snoopers into your corporate network. All because someone on the payrole wants to play with their telephone.

Push email is in itself, a killer-app. I have had many mobile devices, and in my humble opinion, there is nothing like push email. I don't check for mail, I am told when it has arrived. Which means I am totally free to do what I need to do until such time as the phone tells me someone is trying to reach me. Kids won't care for that, but I think most business uers will soon miss that if they moved to the lame phone. Oh sorry, iPhone.

Now, I can't speak for everyone here, but email to me is a huge part of the BB. I type on busses, trains, a few times even while walking. I don't a for a second believe I will be anywhere near as fast on email with the iPhone as I am with the BB.

Software

Anyone with Telenav on the BB can tell you, it's a killer-app. Those days of being two blocks from an address you just can't find anyway are over with such a feature. I started using it once or twice, and then started to see just how good it was, and now that alone kills the iPhone for me. No telenav, no sale.

Do you honestly think you'd actually watch full movies on the iPhone? I have a PSP, and I bring it with me on trips. I have quite a few UMD movies. From San Francisco to New York, I got past one movie on the PSP, and then opted to watch another on the seat-back option for $4.95. I didn't have to hold the PSP upright anymore, and I could fall asleep and not worry about dropping my expensive toy. You'll soon see what I see. It's tedious to hold a small device for 2 hours watching a program. You'll soon discover audio books are better, and guess what, those don't need a screen. And then after you start paying $34 per book, you'll discover that the same book can be bought for $7.95 at any airport, and you don't have to sync them. And if you lose it, who cares, just buy it again, it was only $7. So take my advice and cut to the chase. We really just need basic services that work extremely well. Email, Phone, and a little help when we are lost. In every case, I see the BB as the stronger product.

Am I saying iPhone will be a non-starter? No, I am sure lots of clueless kids will rush oout and spend every last bit of their Burger King income to buy one. But seriously, how long will that last? How long until they get tired of paying what we pay monthly for the services we so easily justify for business? Pretty soon they will give up data, cut their minutes, and that pretty phone will become a boat anchor.

In my humble opinion, only business users can truly afford these fees for extended periods of time. We get a return on this investment that goes beyond cool.

Witness my friends that months ago claimed to have forund the perfect cell phone... again. Now all of the sudden, their cell phone sucks, and they want iPhones. I give em 6 months of high fees before I hear the old, "my cell phone sucks" line again.

Are they really going to want to spend time reading web pages on a 3" screen? Come on... I get basic news via RSS, and I do that for less than maybe 15 minutes a day. Is it really so bad on the BB? Or is it just that the iPhone looks so cool, that you have to have one? How long does cool last?

What about add on software? I have an Oxford Dictionary on my BB. I use that quite often too. I'd miss it. I have IM+ and IM+ for Skype. Can't get either one of those for the iPhone.

So let me see if I understand all this iPhone hype. You get less features, less software, no push email, no GPS, no ability to replace the battery while waiting for your plane to board, and you can't type messages ona real keyboard, and for some reason, all of that is okay? Since when? Man, Jobs is good if he is able to sell you less features for more money, and make you desire it at the same time. Hell, I should hire him to sell our products!

-Alex Alexzander
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
2 Samuel 22

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom
Default Quote from AT&T RE: iPhone Launch Details

The device is a consumer centric device and not being marketed for enterprise use. AT&T will be launching the device via our consumer channels only. Please see details below:

"The iPhone will be available to Individual Responsibility Users (IRUs), but they will be required to forgo any service discounts when using the iPhone (their revenue will count toward satisfying their employer's respective contractual obligations).

There will not be any equipment discounts on the iPhone.

Corporate Responsibility Users (CRUs) will not be able to use the iPhone. CRUs will have the option of signing up for a new line of service as a consumer, switching to an IRU or selecting other available devices.

Also, please note that the iPhone supports most POP3 or IMAP e-mail service but does not support enterprise e-mail such as BlackBerry Enterprise Server, Good Mobile Messaging, or Microsoft Direct Push.”
Closed Thread