Old 12-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
orwus

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: polkomtel
Default OpenPGP plug-in, PGP, GnuPG

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,
I need your help. I am looking some apps for BB to encrypt/decrypt mails on my BB with opnepgp. Mayby you know apps or plug-in for other platforms i.e. WM, Android.
thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: OpenPGP plug-in, PGP, GnuPG

Do a search on the internet for the application.
PGP for blackberry on google shows many.

Also try Blackberry AppWorld
Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
orwus

Google shows only PGP for BES. I'm looking PGP for BIS or TCP/IP.

Last edited by orwus; 12-28-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok, you do realize all data in and out of a BB is encrypted so the security level is way beyond any other cell phone. To add any level of additional security both ends must be able to decode the email. Generally using full PGP requires an application running on a server to forward the data to a trusted receiver. Symantec does offer a full solution but does not specifically indicate they require a BES to support the PGP . It might be worth checking to see the requirements and limits and maybe it will work for you.

One application you might want to check is Ewallet.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerrys are too secure for some sovereign nations. You need more than that?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
JSylvia007
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 2166B57D
Carrier: AT&T

I think that when people come to the forums and genuinely ask for help, like this post, a proper response shouldn't include reasons why they shouldn't need our help.

You don't know the user's industry, and you don't know his requirements. For all we may know he has the infrastructure already, but now has a blackberry that he needs to integrate. Hence why he asked for a PGP type app for the blackberry.

PGP and encryption aren't typically things handled by your typical user, and as such responses like "blackberrys are secure enough" shouldn't be considered valid solutions, nor are these responses even remotely helpful.

That's just my .02.

So... Do you have an infrastructure already? Are you using PKI? Are you using a specific type of algorithm? What server environment are you using for your email? Does your server environment provide the encryption, or are you doing it at the client level?
Proud consumer of the BlackBerry KoolAid!
Bold 9700 v5.0.0.423 - at&t - Pin: 2166B57D
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
JSylvia007
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 2166B57D
Carrier: AT&T

Also,

A search for "OpenPGP Blackberry" on google had this as the first hit.

Atomichelix OpenPGP for BlackBerry - Index
Proud consumer of the BlackBerry KoolAid!
Bold 9700 v5.0.0.423 - at&t - Pin: 2166B57D
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post
I think that when people come to the forums and genuinely ask for help, like this post, a proper response shouldn't include reasons why they shouldn't need our help.

You don't know the user's industry, and you don't know his requirements. For all we may know he has the infrastructure already, but now has a blackberry that he needs to integrate. Hence why he asked for a PGP type app for the blackberry.

PGP and encryption aren't typically things handled by your typical user, and as such responses like "blackberrys are secure enough" shouldn't be considered valid solutions, nor are these responses even remotely helpful.

That's just my .02.

So... Do you have an infrastructure already? Are you using PKI? Are you using a specific type of algorithm? What server environment are you using for your email? Does your server environment provide the encryption, or are you doing it at the client level?

Not for nothing but I did not see any responses the said xxx8220;blackberrys are secure enoughxxx8221; so unless youxxx8217;re here to challenge the members and think youxxx8217;re the only one who works in this industry and the only one who can answer his question it might be useful to understand the xxx8220;averagexxx8221; user who asks questions may or may not have all the details and generally it is best to offer help in a way that wont confuse. My posts suggested information that would lead to more detailed information.

You do realize 007 was just a movie character and your post reads like your Blog. Someday you might get it.
Also a small bit of advice, having your web site listed and having the details including your current location on google maps might not be good for a secret agent type.

Last edited by tsac; 12-28-2010 at 09:27 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Moved to Aftermarket Software
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #10
orwus

To: Rambo47, and others
"BlackBerrys are too secure for some sovereign nations"
I'd like to have only more privacy. I use OpenPGP on my PC and I would like to integrate my mobile with that. Other platforms support that, i.e. AGP for Android.
I recommend reading i.e. crackberry.com about privacy in BB, BIS, BES.
I thought that BB BIS give more privacy than others, today I have huge doubts...
Atomixchelix dosn't work properly. I checked this before I posted.
Regards,
Old 01-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
wsblevins

Model: 8325
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, useless comments as you mentioned have always been a detriment to the usefulness of forums. As long as there is stupidity, it will always be a problem.

That being said, I have searched extensively for a BlackBerry equivalent to Android's APG app for PGP users and the fact is there just isn't one.

I switched to Android some months back and never regretted it for reasons such as this one. Unfortunately, some of my BlackBerry using comrades are not due for an upgrade and thus my search for them an app for PGP use.

Should I find one in the future, I'll be sure to post the info.

Last edited by wsblevins; 01-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Typo corrections
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
hurleyc

Carrier: T-Mobile

I registered simply so I could respond to those who say "blackberry is secure enough." I highly recommend that you read about and understand PKI. Sure, BB encrypts the traffic, but that is not sufficient for those who are deeply concerned about their privacy.

I agree with those who voiced the opinion that explaining to people why they don't need a solution when looking for help is the wrong way to answer. You should really do some homework first before trying to sound like an expert.

That said, I have not found any solutions yet myself and I am not willing to pay for the BES/PGP server solutions. It's a total bummer.

Atomichelix seems to be working now but it is a bit pricey.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
slahm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Many
Carrier: Rogers/Bell

A little clarification on PGP for Blackberry vs Blackberry integrated Encryption.
Way late, but just FYI -

PGP and AES 256 are NOT the same things, although they both offer similar levels of encyption....

BOTH are options for the Blackberry. Actually, since all communication between a blackberry and RIMs servers, and a blackberry and a BES server are already AES encrypted (or equivalent), I guess that it is not optional, but mandatory(All unencrypted packets are automatically dropped by RIMs servers).

PGP is a third party solution, that lets people managed encryption FURTHER than the blackberry. End-to-End or similar.

An email message sent from a blackberry is VERY secure enroute to the RIM servers, and indeed to your mail server, if BES is employed, but is usually converted to PLAINTEXT by the BES server, since a mail server (Exchange, SENDMAIL, etc.) cannot parse the encrypted packets.

This leads to NO protection from spying eyes, except enroute to the first mailserver, unless PGP or something similar is used. SMIME is also an excellent option, and FREE with BES.

PGP functionality is SOLD by PGP Corp(Symantec) on a per device basis. approx $100 per device, 10 device minimum.

BUT - All they really sell you is a COD file that UNLOCKS the PGP app, BUILT BY RIM - that is present on all lackberrys since somewhere about Device version 4.2 or so.....

This app is present on ALL blackberrys currently in production, and is simply inaccessible without the COD file.

You can BUY and USE this app without BES, and it works fine, but does not lookup keys automatically without some configuration. You can, however, import keys, etc....

Hope this helps a bit, for people finding this thead.
Closed Thread