BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
thecrimsonmuffin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm officially a BlackBerry user! I've had my 8700g since Monday, and I absolutely love it! Without my BB, I wouldn't be starting a pointless thread as I'm waiting for my AP calc class to start. Oh the joys of technology!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Welcome from the Gecko
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Giselle9938
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: none
Carrier: a Cheap company that I'll leave very soon

Welcome and a little advice... there its a lot of green guys in here!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrimsonmuffin
I'm officially a BlackBerry user! I've had my 8700g since Monday, and I absolutely love it! Without my BB, I wouldn't be starting a pointless thread as I'm waiting for my AP calc class to start. Oh the joys of technology!
AP calc? Are you in high school? I feel old now......
Old 04-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
They allow cell phones in high school now? Holy crap.

I almost got suspended in my junior year (7 years ago) for bringing my phone (an analog Audiovox) to school. I also got busted once for my pager going off... It was a huge deal back then to have a phone at that age. I was one of the few.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
taeisme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

10 years ago I got busted for having a pager (that's what was cool at the time). My son has a cell phone and he's 7 but its only for emergencies. I work on one side of town and he goes to school on the other. Do people still have pagers? It's like cassette tapes, do they still make them?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
biellos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

wow, 7 and a cell? if there was an emergency at school dont you think the school would contact you?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

My son (13) has an i205, but they are not allowed in school, so he only uses it after school to let me know if he's bumming around the neighborhood. Of course, that assumes he actually knows where it is in that vacuum he calls a room.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
I almost got suspended in my junior year (7 years ago) for bringing my phone (an analog Audiovox) to school. I also got busted once for my pager going off... It was a huge deal back then to have a phone at that age. I was one of the few.
SEVEN years ago? Ok, now I really feel old.....I just received an invitation to my 20th year high school reunion.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
taeisme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

I have had 2 incidences where his bus didn't pick him up and the school office was closed. Or they were on a field trip and the bus broke down. He has it off during school hours but he has a list of contacts in the phone. The school was glad that he had it. But in this day and age why wouldn't anybody have a cell? it's a scary world for kids and I don't want my kid unable to contact me if something (God forbid) happened.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
SEVEN years ago? Ok, now I really feel old.....I just received an invitation to my 20th year high school reunion.
Actually, I think it was my sophomore year.

I'm 22, almost 23, and I was 15 when I got my pager, and then I got my first phone later that year. I was the ONLY kid in my neighborhood with a phone. It was pretty crazy. It was about a year before anyone else I knew got a phone. By that time I had moved from Alltel analog to Sprint 2G digital.

I've lost count, but in that time, I've had somewhere between 75 and 100 phones. I have 23 right now.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
thecrimsonmuffin

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, I'm 17 and in my senior year. Yeah, it's not a big deal to have phones in school...I'm typing this instead of doing work for the second fundamental theorem of integral calc. My french teacher even let's me txt in class (it helps to be her best student though). About the pagers bit...what purpose do they serve, exactly? I never understood why people had them instead of cell phones or car phones...even in the dark ages there were car phones (my BMW is even wired for one).
Old 04-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Actually, I think it was my sophomore year.

I'm 22, almost 23, and I was 15 when I got my pager, and then I got my first phone later that year. I was the ONLY kid in my neighborhood with a phone. It was pretty crazy. It was about a year before anyone else I knew got a phone. By that time I had moved from Alltel analog to Sprint 2G digital.

I've lost count, but in that time, I've had somewhere between 75 and 100 phones. I have 23 right now.

i know the feeling i have had a few more phones thought and im a little young. But my biggest problem was my parents were buying all these phones not b/c i wanted them but b/c i took them apart and coundn't get them back together (well that was my excuse anyways)
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
About the pagers bit...what purpose do they serve, exactly? I never understood why people had them instead of cell phones or car phones...even in the dark ages there were car phones (my BMW is even wired for one).
It was all about the money. Back then it could be extremely costly to have/use a cell phone. Pagers were a lot cheaper, although less effective.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
It was all about the money. Back then it could be extremely costly to have/use a cell phone. Pagers were a lot cheaper, although less effective.
Yeah, I paid like $30/yr for unlimited pages.

With my first phone on Alltel, I had to pay $.10 connection fee everytime I placed a call. I finally started having people call me instead of paging because that connection fee sucked. I dropped the pager once I moved to Sprint (which was a terrible network back then by the way)
Old 04-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Watch out for green things that caculate?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *&))
i know the feeling i have had a few more phones thought and im a little young. But my biggest problem was my parents were buying all these phones not b/c i wanted them but b/c i took them apart and coundn't get them back together (well that was my excuse anyways)
You're younger than me and have had more phones than I have?

My parents have only paid for 4 phones. My first 2 Sprint phones, My Motorola i1000+, and my Motorola T720. After that, it's all been on me.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
johnj40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Hey all you people with extra phones laying around. We have a propgram hear where you can donate used cell phones back to your community. They are used for battered women and such things. Its a good thing you just might want to look into. And its tax deductible. Just an FYI.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #20
thecrimsonmuffin

Oh dear, it seems I've forgotten to include the requisite bio information for a thread in this forum!

Well, I'm 17 and graduationg school this year. I'm bound for the University of Hartford's Barney School of Business (thought I was going to Johnson&Wales), where I will put in two years before transferring to U of Penn or Bentley. My intended major is Finance (yay investment/corporate banking).
I really don't have a need for a BlackBerry, given my student status, but, EDGE-speed internet and a full-sized keyboard (I'm a texting harlot) made it an ideal phone. Much, much better than my razr.
Hm, that's it, I think
Closed Thread