BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Bold 9650 voicemail notification?

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my new Bold for 4 days now, and am trying to explore it and get it set up the way I want. This is my first blackberry ever. First impressions, I like it a lot. My problem is, when someone leaves me voice mail, it doesn't play a tune, vibrate or anything. I've set up "alert songs" for SMS & email. Is voicemail level 1? I set one up for it too (not that I know what level one is.) The email plays the tune I picked, the SMS doesn't. It just does a little ping thingy. I've checked all the profiles, it's suppose to play nimble beats, nope just the ping thingy. So, maybe somewhere I can't find there is a place to change the ping thingy to a proper tune, which will play longer? And maybe in that place is somewhere to set an audible alert for voicemail?
It's a business phone, I can't believe there is not alert for voicemail. It accepts and plays voicemail, and shows a little tape icon on the screen, it just won't tell me. I'm on Sprint, and it's version is v.5.0.0.699 (Bundle 1186 Platform 4.2.0.318) not sure if you need that, but figured I should give it.
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, maybe this will help someone else new. The reason the SMS alert was only ping thingy is that the SMS came from contacts I had set up custom ringtones for. If it came from anyone else, it played the proper tune. So if you are a custom ringtone set for a contact, you need to set the SMS alert to what you want it to be also.
Still no luck and getting it to tell me when I have voicemail. Is this normal for a BlackBerry? I've read the basics book, and the CD doesn't work in my computer.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
jslawell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: BBM me if you want it
Carrier: Verizonwireless

The blackberry doesn't have an option to notify you after you recieve a voicemail. There are 3rd party apps that will notify you. Do a search on bbalerts.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon

Voicemail alerts are treated like SMS. See a prior post.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ification.html
Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, no. I called Sprint today and asked about the voicemail alerts. Since the CD doesn't work I've tried to do things I found on forums. So back to Sprint, I called and explained the Bold didn't work, no alert and so on. The tech informed me that it is not a Sprint issue, or a malfunctioning phone. He said the Bold does not alert to voicemail. I said, oh, it's a bug? Are they going to fix it? He said no, it was a choice on BlackBerry's part. He said that he and another tech had spent time the day before trying to set the voicemail up to come into the SMS folder so you would get an alert, but they couldn't make it work. I guess if they can't I shouldn't feel bad I can't. I just don't understand, even a free nokia will tell you that there is voicemail. I asked the Sprint tech if enough people contacted BlackBerry if they would fix it. He said maybe. So I just sent them an email. I just can't believe you spend this amount of money on a phone, and it won't work. I wouldn't mind so much spending money on a good case, or screen protector. Maybe even a game, or some nice medical apps, but to have to spend money to get the phone to function properly as a phone?
Thank you kindly for the help, I do appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, so for other new folks that might have wound up with the Bold and are frustrated: according to handago's website bbalerts is NOT compatible with this Bold 9650. According to the nice Sprint Tech guy (and he was nice) you can't make voicemail alerts be treated like SMS. The work around that is working for me is something called youmail. Youmail has popped up in some of the searches I've done. I thought it was because you could customize a lot of things that folks used it. But it will send an email with your voicemail as a mp3 or wav attached. You can also have it alert you as a SMS. Both of those things will alert on the Bold. So I think I'm going to keep the Bold, it is a very nice phone in a lot of ways, but my Mom & Aunts in their 80s are not going to learn to send text messages when they can't reach me by phone ;)
Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

Do download the Be Buzz Free as it will give you a separate, customized, voice mail alert. You have to download through BB App World but it is free. And if that's not enough, there paid version does everything else that you could never do before with alerts.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Diffused! I had downloaded it, the gal in the Sprint store told me about it. I love the app, but it wouldn't alert with voicemail. I don't know if it's just Sprint's 9650 Bold, or all Bolds but it seems to have an aversion to notifying for voicemail, ;)
I'm keeping BeBuzz though, I love it! The youmail is about the only thing I have found that can get it to give a voicemail alert, and that's because it sends email & SMS, which the Bold finds more palatable.....
Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

I wonder if it's hard coded into the OS then. You would think something this simple wouldn't be an issue. We'll have to keep our eyes open to see of other options or fixes.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

If you have bbuzz then use Google mail, it will send you and email and then bbuzz will notify you, similar to You Mail but i like the Google better.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
redman8

Carrier: sprint

Hi All,
I have the same problem with voicemail on my 9650
I got this BB Alerts app and it does have a audible and visual alert for missed voice mails. I tried the free then it I saw it worked so I bought the full version.

here is the link i used, BByMel Software
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #12
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki View Post
If you have bbuzz then use Google mail, it will send you and email and then bbuzz will notify you, similar to You Mail but i like the Google better.
If this was a plug for Google Voice, then I'm seconding it. Love Google Voice.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
NWRHoff

Model: 8830
Default Re: Bold 9650 voicemail notification?

I have a Sprint Bold 9650 and it alerts me when I have a voice mail. I have other users complaining of the same issues above, but I have been unable to repeat it.

MY OS 5.0.0.983

One user I know about has 5.0.0.699 OS. Has anyone updated and noticed a difference?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Jaguarr40

Model: 9630
PIN: PM Me & Just Ask
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Post Re: Bold 9650 voicemail notification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl05 View Post
I've had my new Bold for 4 days now, and am trying to explore it and get it set up the way I want. This is my first blackberry ever. First impressions, I like it a lot. My problem is, when someone leaves me voice mail, it doesn't play a tune, vibrate or anything. I've set up "alert songs" for SMS & email. Is voicemail level 1? I set one up for it too (not that I know what level one is.) The email plays the tune I picked, the SMS doesn't. It just does a little ping thingy. I've checked all the profiles, it's suppose to play nimble beats, nope just the ping thingy. So, maybe somewhere I can't find there is a place to change the ping thingy to a proper tune, which will play longer? And maybe in that place is somewhere to set an audible alert for voicemail?
It's a business phone, I can't believe there is not alert for voicemail. It accepts and plays voicemail, and shows a little tape icon on the screen, it just won't tell me. I'm on Sprint, and it's version is v.5.0.0.699 (Bundle 1186 Platform 4.2.0.318) not sure if you need that, but figured I should give it.
Thanks!
This is really the best way to understand how your problem with voicemail alerts works and you can fix it very easy...

SMS Text and voicemail share the same box so when you receive a voicemail and get the tape icon indicator on your mail screen if you were to look in your SMS box you will see the voicemail notification, At least without a doubt you should.

Now getting to the Sound alert part. These 2 alerts are going to be the same at least if you DO NOT dl any 3rd part apps to help as suggested here already so you can do what I do... For SMS I have it vibrate 1 time and then the sound alert. For a voicemail I have it vibrate twice and then the sound so that is my way of knowing what is what and what I am being notified for.

It is simple andworks and you don't have to go 3rd party or anything else. Voicemail notifications are just like an SMS text except you are not paying for it that's all.

I hope this will help you to better understand the way the good old BB works no matter 9650 Bold or 9630 Tour.

One last thing now if you are not getting any sound at all after a missed voicemail and you have NO custom alert profiles set up and you DO have your phone say set up for the loud profile as your standard profile for all rings and alerts then you have something wrong and i would go into your carrier and let them look at your settings as it may be something simple not to be ashamed of, it happens to all of us. Good luck and let us know.

Beta Tester For Bellshare - Apps. Like BerryWeather And Many Other Great BlackBerry Apps.
Closed Thread