Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Tour 2 (Essex) coming soon

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering how many people out there that have the Tour are going to be PO'd because RIM is releasing the Tour 2 with trackpad and WiFi?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
somebody7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

I have the Tour and use it on Tmobile. I will obviously get the Bold 2 when it gets released. I can always sell the Tour and get this, not that big of a deal.....to me at least.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
provench

Model: 9630

+1 .... NOT cool RIM/Verizon ... not cool at all :(
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just another way of RIM/Verizon to make more money from us.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

The Tour, codenamed "niagara", was supposed to be launched a lot earlier this year...not June/July like it actually was....This Tour2 would have come out almost a year later
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

Kinda strange...

but people said the same thing about the Storm2. On how it was eff'd up. Everyone thought it would come out within months after storm. Turns out, the Storm 2 comes out literally a year later.

This might be the same thing.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
DacyJ
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (My name is Bubbles)

It might just be my brain thinkings but I wouldn't release the updated version until well after sales dropped off of the current version, I know it sucks but why kill a seemingly alright product so soon to release a updated version?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Same with the Bold, Bold 2 a year after.
Its just RIM's game plan.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
provench

year later ... is fine ... but a few months? Doesn't make sense at all ... I guess Verizon/RIM took a bath on the failed trackballs so they are punting completely on the Tour1. Sooooo ... I have an instant classic, collector's edition Tour - anyway wanna buy it?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
The_conductor
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 313D86F5
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted

I hope they release it for sprint around march that's when my upgrade kicks in
Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Firefyter

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Why be mad? Most of us knew a Tour 2 was in the works a couple of days before the Tour was even released. This is just the price to pay if you always have to have the latest and greatest.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter View Post
Why be mad? Most of us knew a Tour 2 was in the works a couple of days before the Tour was even released. This is just the price to pay if you always have to have the latest and greatest.
I agree - I knew the Tour 2 was coming way before I bought my Tour. But you know what? My 8830 contract was up, it was clunky and I needed a new device. I got it. By March or May or whenever Tour 2 comes out, it will hit someone else's upgrade sweetspot.

Everyone on all the BB forums used to complain that the carriers weren't releasing the new BBs fast enough. Well now they release Tour and then Tour 2 a year later and people are complaining that they released Tour when Tour 2 was so close? Do you know how bad the outrage would have been if they scrapped the Tour and waited to go right to the Tour 2? You can always design a better device by the time your last design hits the market - that's how technology works. But if you keep pulling the rug out from future releases, you'll never release a product.

/end rant.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #13
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I can understand some of the frustration, when most contract lengths are 18 months.
However, all you need to do is research a little on the internet, and you'd find out stuff like up coming releases, and be able to make a decision.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

What I am upset about is that I got the Tour and have had so many problems that I am now on #4 and it needs replacing. So now RIM is going to come out with Tour 2 which addresses and fixes all the problems that I and other Tour users are having but we will not be issued a Tour 2 to replace this faulty junk we have. If RIM would recall these faulty Tour phones for those of us who have already had 3 or more phones and give us one without all the problems, then I would be much happier. My daughter and son have Tours and have had issues with both of theirs. However, our son has not had as many issues as my daughter and myself so he has been the lucky one.

I did not buy the Tour because I had waited for its release. We were Alltel customers and when our daughter had to get another phone, we were told we HAD to upgrade to Verizon phones as well. Since I already had a Blackberry (WE 8830), I wanted another one but this one is not of the same quality that my original BB was.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Actually the Tour 2 will be exactly the same as the original Tour except the second version will have the trackpad and WiFi. RIM has replaced all the faulty devices and flaws with it's original Tour already. My wife picked up her new Tour a few weeks ago (before she knew about the Tour 2) and she has no issues with the track ball and the battery door. She talked to a Verizon rep and tech and they both said those issues have been resolved.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
What I am upset about is that I got the Tour and have had so many problems that I am now on #4 and it needs replacing. So now RIM is going to come out with Tour 2 which addresses and fixes all the problems that I and other Tour users are having but we will not be issued a Tour 2 to replace this faulty junk we have.
How do you know, for sure, that this new phone will address all of the problems with the Tour? Never mind... I'll go ahead and answer that for you: you don't. Plus, the new phone might just (very likely) introduce new issues. I can hear it now... you will be complaining that RIM owes you a Tour 3.

RIM owes you nothing. If you are unhappy with your current phone, take the stupid thing back. It's that simple.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
How do you know, for sure, that this new phone will address all of the problems with the Tour? Never mind... I'll go ahead and answer that for you: you don't. Plus, the new phone might just (very likely) introduce new issues. I can hear it now... you will be complaining that RIM owes you a Tour 3.

RIM owes you nothing. If you are unhappy with your current phone, take the stupid thing back. It's that simple.
Well ifonline, I am sorry I expected the same quality RIM has put out in the past! When you are a Tour owner and have experienced the problems so many Tour owners have, then you will understand the frustration.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #18
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Honestly, there shouldn't be anybody frustrated I mean hear me out here but...Crackberry can say the date, or BoyGenius, but do we really know its coming out in a few months? Something always has to come out "new and improved," why get mad? If you've had problems with the Tour, do u really think the Tour2 won't have any problems? Especially with initial trackpad response, or Wifi not registering right with the service books like the Storm2 is having right now? Do you guys really see Verizon releasing this Tour2 by christmas or January like some speculated? Let's be honest with ourselves, if we always just waited for the latest and greatest, we wouldn't have phones at all...somethin' will always come out a year later...hey I mean at least it should keep us on our feet about what RIM is doing next. And, at least (other than with the Tour) most of the phones actually look different..I mean I'd hate to have to have an iPhone and see how nothing but slim has changed on the 3G AND 3Gs yet mines still the old school one cuz society said so and I can't even take video or have an external speaker....lol...now that my friends, is something to get frustrated with....lol

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Although I have no facts/actual numbers (just being honest here) I can easily believe that the trackball is a huge reliability problem for RIM products, and the source of frequent complaints. In addition to the Tour defective trackballs, it is a device succeptible to greasy, dirty and sticky fingers.

I could also believe that now they have tested and proven a more reliable alternative, there is a strong desire by the carriers and RIM to rid themselves of the trackball product lines as quickly as possible. There is no reason to be frustrated or angry by continuous product improvement or 'the next great thing' in the tech world.

Such is the technology bandwagon, adopt early at your own risk and dive in when you are comfortable. There is no guarantee that any rumored product will ever launch. If you want something proven and durable buy a year into production and trade off a loss of capabilities for better reliability.

Last edited by jimn367; 10-30-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #20
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree. The trackball has been an issue (from what everyone has posted lately) but the trackpad is the future of RIM. The trackpad hasn't had any issues (from the posts I haven't seen and Verizon tech input). Yes, there will be problems with WiFi initially with the new devices (such as the Storm 2) but will be fixed, easily with a OTA update. Overall, the Tour is a good device and RIM has fixed the issues with it. The Tour 2 will have the updated fixes along with the newer options (WiFi, trackpad, 5.0).

Overall, if you are on your 4th Tour than you are abusing your phone or something. My wife and several friends of mine bought their Tour's the first day and not one of them have returned theirs. Sounds like to me that you need to switch to a different phone that you can throw around.
Closed Thread