Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #41
Kevlar000

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Easy fix to the tour trackball

Please Login to Remove!

After recieving my tour I had a problem with the trakball moving horizontally left to right, vertical worked fine. I discovered an easy fix right there on the phone!!! Simply go into options and scroll down to screen/keyboard. In there lies a trackball sensitivity opion and it has both vertical and horizontal sensitivity boxes. I increased the horizontal sensitivity to 90 and problem solved!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #42
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I am on my fourth one. And think I got a later gen one like others, it seems to be working good. I keep it in the plastic hard case and then put that in my leather holster. Trackball has been great, hung once but blew it out with compressed air and seems to be ok. I am waiting for a screen protector from Seidio though till then will have to be careful not to scratch.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #43
motionguy

Model: tour
Carrier: Verizon

Not a clue what the serial numbers are. I was happy to get out of the store by the time everything was reviewed and a new phone was given to me.

This is my first BB and all in all it has been a good experience. I bought my wife the same phone at the same time and her track ball is working fine without the quirks.

Sorry I could help more. If you call the Verizon store and tell them about the problem I think they might log you in so when you do get back to them and your over 30 days at least there is a record of your problem early on.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #44
asylumdigital

Carrier: Sprint

ok... I took mine back to sprint & exchanged in store. I had the same horizontal issue. The other problem was the battery life of about 3 hours (we'll soon see how that works out). The new phones trackball is absolutely fine. BTW, there is no "green-dot' on the box...
http://www.twitter.com/asylumdigital
bb's 7520 -> 8830 -> 9630
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #45
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
My trackball stuck yesterday. It would scroll vertical...but horizontal? it would only move to the right- not the left. In desperation, I tried mom's Universal Solvent (spit) rubbed the trackball briskly with a cleaning cloth---voila! problem solved. Works great.

Moral: Do not use trackball with sticky fingers from eating a maple bar.
Exactly what I was experiencing on my Tour
Old 08-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #46
bbaddikt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollawood24 View Post
8/4/09 i got my 3rd tour replacement within a week.. 8/5/09 i brought the phone to a sprint corporate store because of yet another trackball issue.. Waited forever for them to tell me they DIDNT have a tour trackball so would i mind taking a white trackball (curve trackball, etc..) They made the swap and it fixed any trackball problems i have been having (sticking, moving left/right, slow response).. After the swap the trackball is also no longer deep in the phone but sits the same as it does in previous BB's, so scrolling and clicking are no problem.. So if you are continuing to have trackball problems go to a Sprint Corporate store and ask them not to exchange the phone but just to switch the trackball to white ball or previous BB's ball.. This should set a new tone for a BB Tour's and Sprint/Verizon might finally get the message that they have a serious issue with the Tour trackball.. Enjoy!!! Hope this helps!!!

Leave your comments or questions and i will gladly answer them!
I had the same exact issue with the trackball on the Tour. The Verizon customer care idiots told me to take it into a store. The VZW stores are manned by some contract company Flextronics who are a bunch of retards. They accused that I had "water damage" on the phone, when all there was a 2 spots of perspiration on the outside of the back cover (not inside the device) due to it being a hot day (95 degree F) that day. So the Flextronics bozos refused to exchange the phone. I asked for the manager. He called me next day and I showed him how the trackball was defective and also how the back cover of the unit was loose which lets moisture and elements get through. I had print outs of forums from the internet that has reports of both these issues from various BB tour owners. The manager reviewed everything and was kind enough to exchange the device for me. I got lucky with this particular manager. Verizon should be ashamed to sell an expensive device like the BB Tour with so many defects in the device (bad trackball, loose battery cover etc.) They have absolutely no quality control. Same goes for RIM - this is what happens when they manufacture these devices in China, where you get cheap or no quality control ! I doubt that I will buy another BB ever again, unless their quality control improves !
Old 08-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #47
hollawood24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaddikt View Post
I had the same exact issue with the trackball on the Tour. The Verizon customer care idiots told me to take it into a store. The VZW stores are manned by some contract company Flextronics who are a bunch of retards. They accused that I had "water damage" on the phone, when all there was a 2 spots of perspiration on the outside of the back cover (not inside the device) due to it being a hot day (95 degree F) that day. So the Flextronics bozos refused to exchange the phone. I asked for the manager. He called me next day and I showed him how the trackball was defective and also how the back cover of the unit was loose which lets moisture and elements get through. I had print outs of forums from the internet that has reports of both these issues from various BB tour owners. The manager reviewed everything and was kind enough to exchange the device for me. I got lucky with this particular manager. Verizon should be ashamed to sell an expensive device like the BB Tour with so many defects in the device (bad trackball, loose battery cover etc.) They have absolutely no quality control. Same goes for RIM - this is what happens when they manufacture these devices in China, where you get cheap or no quality control ! I doubt that I will buy another BB ever again, unless their quality control improves !

i know and i completely get what you are saying.. How can people continue to purchase $300 devices and the simplest thing doesnt work properly.. there honestly is no excuse for it and i have voiced that fact to sprint.. I tried one last time exchanging my Tour for a new one and it was a good thing i did, because it works perfectly.. I do suggest exchanging for another one because it is a great device and once your not having that problem you will be satisfied, trust me! I too was tired of exchanging devices but was determined to get one that WORKED.. I suggest the same.. EVEN IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE YOUR 30 DAYS I SUGGEST YOU CALL YOUR CARRIER TO GET AN EXCHANGE IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS! i am a witness that they will exchange after 30 days if you just tell them how many replacements you have gotten and that i get a $300 phone that doesnt work!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #48
hollawood24

oh yea one more thing.. if they tell you just bring it to the store and let a tech take a look at it, tell them that you have done that already multiple times and that doesnt solve anything, because the device is still having that problem, which is true!!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #49
FrankDaTank

Model: Tour
Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Ha! Same for me! I was trying to convince myself it was OK, but it wasn't. I exchanged mine - different world now - works how you'd expect. A real pleasure. I don't want to start a run on Tour exchanges, but if the horizontal on your ball feels funny, I'd get a new one.

I've got my sensitively back down to 70 on the new one too, no more spaz cursor! All around way way better! Wahoo!
My first Tour had horrible left/right trackball repsonse. I replaced it within 2 days and got on that was ok. Now a month later this 2nd Tour has even worse left/right response then the 1st. This is my first ever BB phone and although i love the phone, the trackball is useless. I just dont see how I can keep replacing the phone every couple of months for the damn trackball.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #50
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Finally exchanged my very early Tour yesterday. Trackball was fine north and south; east and west not so good. It moved like a bucking bronco with sensitivity at 90; at 80 it jumped; at 70 it froze almost completely. I set it to 80, went to VZW. The guy played with it for about 10 seconds, it got stuck right off and it would NOT move. He just brought out a new box. This one is perfect so far @70.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #51
npaulseth

Putting a curve trackball is the solution for this problems. Odds are that exchanging the device is just delaying the problem from happening again. The only problem with putting a curve trackball in is that RIM has not given the phone companies the authorization (at least Sprint for sure) to open up the phones, so any technician that follows orders won't swap them out.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #52
gschoelles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3188B3A0

Prolly a rebuilt and by someone with dirty work habits
Old 08-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #53
rkrause60

Default Thank you

My Tour Trackball is Horid and I was about to return it. I will take your advice to my store! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollawood24 View Post
8/4/09 i got my 3rd tour replacement within a week.. 8/5/09 i brought the phone to a sprint corporate store because of yet another trackball issue.. Waited forever for them to tell me they DIDNT have a tour trackball so would i mind taking a white trackball (curve trackball, etc..) They made the swap and it fixed any trackball problems i have been having (sticking, moving left/right, slow response).. After the swap the trackball is also no longer deep in the phone but sits the same as it does in previous BB's, so scrolling and clicking are no problem.. So if you are continuing to have trackball problems go to a Sprint Corporate store and ask them not to exchange the phone but just to switch the trackball to white ball or previous BB's ball.. This should set a new tone for a BB Tour's and Sprint/Verizon might finally get the message that they have a serious issue with the Tour trackball.. Enjoy!!! Hope this helps!!!

Leave your comments or questions and i will gladly answer them!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #54
netahole

I just got back from the VZ store and was told it IS a software problem with a fix due in the next couple of weeks. I was still given the option of a replacement, which I took. Had to be shipped though.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #55
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by netahole View Post
I just got back from the VZ store and was told it IS a software problem with a fix due in the next couple of weeks. I was still given the option of a replacement, which I took. Had to be shipped though.
I would be THRILLED if this problem turns out to be software-related. A firmware fix is preferable to a hardware fix any day!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #56
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by netahole View Post
I count this one as very unlikely. There've been no software updates for the Tour, but people who have exchanged their devices seem to have had much better experience with the trackball... It doesn't add up.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #57
criffus

Lightbulb

Swapped trackballs with an old Pearl and all seems fine now. I set my horizontal sensitivity back to 70 and see no issues yet.
I did it myself with a T7 torx-driver and a credit card. Be CAREFUL if you try this! I almost broke the little tabs off of the top earpiece cover.
Yeah, I guess my warranty is in the toilet...

-BTW: The black Tour trackball seems to work just fine in the Pearl...

I'm still not totally sold on the Tour I guess. I miss the size and convenience of my Pearl.
?? Why couldn't they just make a Pearl with more memory??!!

(you'd think I've never seen smilies before eh?!!)
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #58
fongaroos

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by criffus View Post
Swapped trackballs with an old Pearl and all seems fine now. I set my horizontal sensitivity back to 70 and see no issues yet.
I did it myself with a T7 torx-driver and a credit card. Be CAREFUL if you try this! I almost broke the little tabs off of the top earpiece cover.
Yeah, I guess my warranty is in the toilet...

-BTW: The black Tour trackball seems to work just fine in the Pearl...

I'm still not totally sold on the Tour I guess. I miss the size and convenience of my Pearl.
?? Why couldn't they just make a Pearl with more memory??!!

(you'd think I've never seen smilies before eh?!!)

ive heard about swapping the trackballs. do you happen to have a DIY or some info about how to do this? i have an old curve can i can just take the trackball out of that phone and put it in my tour.

i wonder if itll work. its an old AT&T bb curve and i am trying to swap it into my verizon bb tour.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #59
criffus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongaroos View Post
ive heard about swapping the trackballs. do you happen to have a DIY or some info about how to do this? i have an old curve can i can just take the trackball out of that phone and put it in my tour.
Have a look at this: BlackBerry Tour 9630 disassembly tutorial
There are numerous youtube vids for "blackberry tour disassembly" also...
You can get a torx T-7 driver at radio shack- Or a better electronics store (if you don't live in cow-town like I do!)
Again- Be careful with that top earpiece cover! The tabs are very tiny. And pay attention to how to fit the main-board back into the top half of the shell... you kind of pull back the top edge of the shell so that the main-board drops straight in. (as opposed to "angling" it in...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongaroos View Post
i wonder if itll work. its an old AT&T bb curve and i am trying to swap it into my verizon bb tour.
I am guessing that it will work. I'm no expert, but after cleaning and replacing the trackball on my old pearl(s) numerous times, and then seeing the trackball assembly on this Tour, I'm betting that they are all the same.
You can find new trackballs for as little as $6.95 at different suppliers online...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #60
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour

I got one of the first Tours at 8.00 AM the day it was launched and my track ball SUCKS. I Just changed the sensitivty to 90 and it seems to help! Thanks for the tip!
Closed Thread