Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

That's what I thought but it looks quite different. I like the app so I'm OK with them pushing this one. I would feel different if I didn't.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifandmindy
It showed up on mine today. It seems to be similar to live search which I use alot, so I don't mind. Is the problem that people don't like the app or the fact that it showed up?
Some of both.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #23
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama
Ummm .... BING is Live Search. Microsoft changed the name about 6 months ago.
There are some big differences with the new Bing app vs Windows Live Search. Didn't WLS open web pages in a mobile friendly format instead of launching the blackberry browser?

Overall, I like Bing, except when I click on a link in search and it happens to open a mobile unfriendly web page.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #24
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

I just dont like the idea of things being pushed and you having no option to delete it, ye s I understand that you can hide it but it still the case that it is still taking room that you dont want taken. You should always have an option to accept or deny, but the fact is that Verizon gets a fee foe this and they will not allow you to reject it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I think it is just the icon. I still had to download the app if I wanted it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #26
KonTiki

Still the point is that nothing should be pushed that you do not want or seek.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #27
James.Stallings
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I received the BING icon a few days ago on my storm 2. It's not a bad little app (I really like the GUI). My default search providers were not stripped from the BB browser, but i'm on a BES so it could be that they were removed if you are only on a BIS plan.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #28
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki View Post
I just dont like the idea of things being pushed and you having no option to delete it, yes I understand that you can hide it but it still the case that it is still taking room that you dont want taken. You should always have an option to accept or deny, but the fact is that Verizon gets a fee for this and they will not allow you to reject it.
That's my issue with it as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I like live search better or maybe I just need to figure out a couple things. I like the option in live search to add to address book after I looked up a business. I didn't see that option in Bing.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
sparkyon3

Model: 9550
Default Complain to Verizon!!!

I just complained to Verizon about Bing being my ONLY browser choice. Here is their reply:

Effective 12/15/09, Microsoft Bing became the only search option available from selected BlackBerry device browser's Quick Search bar in the browser's start page eliminating Google, Wikipedia and Dictionary as other options

Here was my reply to them: I repeat my previous message: get Bing and Microsoft off of my phone immediately, or I will switch to AT&T!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyon3 View Post
I just complained to Verizon about Bing being my ONLY browser choice. Here is their reply:

Effective 12/15/09, Microsoft Bing became the only search option available from selected BlackBerry device browser's Quick Search bar in the browser's start page eliminating Google, Wikipedia and Dictionary as other options

Here was my reply to them: I repeat my previous message: get Bing and Microsoft off of my phone immediately, or I will switch to AT&T!

You'll just be trading a smack on one side of your head for a smack on the other.

Bookmark or download your favorite search app and move on.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #32
KonTiki

Dont bother they wont change their minds. If you are that bothered and are willing to pay the $350 smart-phone early termination fee, go ahead and change to ATT&T, they have their own brand of headaches, if you are not bothered move on, I don't like the idea of things pushed to me as I stated but not much anyone can do.

Quote:

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #33
whenimcool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Class

I know there are ways around it, but I feel like a hand has reached out of my BlackBerry and grabbed me by the throat and is squeezing it. I don't like being controlled. I can get around this one okay, but it's MY device. Don't mess with the settings on my device. I don't like doing business this way. This agreement between MS and VZW clearly shows where the customer stands.

If corporate giants continue this "controlling the customer" pattern, where does it end?

Verizon has also removed the Bookmarks page from the Start Page option in the browser. I used to be able to make my Favorites my Start Page, but now only their Start Page is available. The VZW Start Page is awlful. I have to go to the Start Page and then go to Bookmarks.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #34
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

How did this story end?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #35
RandomTask

Model: 8330
Carrier: Vzw
Exclamation Bing icon resulting from App World Update

Hello,

Just thought I'd chime in here and add my 2¢.

My carrier is Verizon and my BB is an 8330.

I recently had an occasion to fire up the BB App World, which I hadn't done in quite a while. Upon launching App World, there was a popup to the effect that there was a newer version that needed to be updated. IIRC, I proceeded with the update from 1.0.0.25 to 1.1.0.24 and then a phone restart.

After the restart I had the Bing icon amongst my other BB desktop icons. I'd recently read (on Reddit) that Verizon and/or RIM had a hand in instigating this, and not wanting my phone configuration altered, I got a little ticked off when I spotted the new Bing icon as I had read that my default search engine in 'Go To' would be changed from my preferred Google to Bing.

However, I can report that not having launched Bing from the icon (I'm confused as to what would prompt someone to do that without first investigating its sudden appearance, after all it did appear without consent and may therefore be malicious, no?) and instead, having hid it has resulted in no observable change to my BB configuration other than the appearance of the icon itself and my having to hide it.

So, I would encourage anyone else on Vzw who's recently updated their BB App World and now has the Bing icon to not launch it unless (as previous posters have mentioned) they wish to have Bing installed and instead hide it and forget about it.

Cheers and Happy New Year to one and all.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #36
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

I believe the app world update was just incidental, and that it was the restart that did it, resulting in service book updates.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
Hello,

Just thought I'd chime in here and add my 2¢.

My carrier is Verizon and my BB is an 8330.

I recently had an occasion to fire up the BB App World, which I hadn't done in quite a while. Upon launching App World, there was a popup to the effect that there was a newer version that needed to be updated. IIRC, I proceeded with the update from 1.0.0.25 to 1.1.0.24 and then a phone restart.

After the restart I had the Bing icon amongst my other BB desktop icons. I'd recently read (on Reddit) that Verizon and/or RIM had a hand in instigating this, and not wanting my phone configuration altered, I got a little ticked off when I spotted the new Bing icon as I had read that my default search engine in 'Go To' would be changed from my preferred Google to Bing.

However, I can report that not having launched Bing from the icon (I'm confused as to what would prompt someone to do that without first investigating its sudden appearance, after all it did appear without consent and may therefore be malicious, no?) and instead, having hid it has resulted in no observable change to my BB configuration other than the appearance of the icon itself and my having to hide it.

So, I would encourage anyone else on Vzw who's recently updated their BB App World and now has the Bing icon to not launch it unless (as previous posters have mentioned) they wish to have Bing installed and instead hide it and forget about it.

Cheers and Happy New Year to one and all.
Exact same thing here, and as long as you dont run the app Bing when it shows and you hide it that is the end of the story.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #38
digit323

Model: 8830

Yup. I hid it. Wish I could hide my VZW monthly invoice. Outrageous.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #39
bamajr

Model: Tour

The issue I have isn't specific to BING. I one of those who don't like things being forced on me. Whether it is an actual app or just a shortcut doesn't mean anything to me. Why must I accept it being pushed to me?

The short answer is, because Verizon/BB say so.

However, couldn't you just disable Browser Push in the Settings?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #40
bamajr

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajr View Post
The issue I have isn't specific to BING. I one of those who don't like things being forced on me. Whether it is an actual app or just a shortcut doesn't mean anything to me. Why must I accept it being pushed to me?

The short answer is, because Verizon/BB say so.

However, couldn't you just disable Browser Push in the Settings?
FYI: You are not just being pushed BING. You are also being pushed a specific service book set, that includes Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, and several others. Everytime you get BING, you will also be getting these others.
Closed Thread