Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #21
Golga
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22
What I don't get is why go through all the "Nigeria" nonsense which would raise an immediate red flag in most people?? Why not just pose as a "normal" buyer and then send the fake PayPal emails? I bet that would fake out a lot more people...
Two reasons I expect.

1. Because they don't have any local contacts to receive the product.
2. Because they are effectively immune from prosecution in Nigeria.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #22
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I usually sell ONLY to the U.S. This may result is a lower average selling price, but not only avoids scams but also lots of "tax" issues. I once sold a DVR to a totally legitimate buyer in Canada. I got stopped at the border and assessed an extra tax. Who needs these hassles?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #23
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damager
I usually sell ONLY to the U.S. This may result is a lower average selling price, but not only avoids scams but also lots of "tax" issues. I once sold a DVR to a totally legitimate buyer in Canada. I got stopped at the border and assessed an extra tax. Who needs these hassles?
I had US only....this dude wanted me to send it to nigeria anyway.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #24
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

probably just a bot....either way....I don't know that I'll try to sell it again on eBay.....lame!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #25
whoscalling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
I had US only....this dude wanted me to send it to nigeria anyway.
This past Sunday the exact scenario happened to me. I have contacted ebay and they said this is a known scam. Hopefully my fee's (his winning bid for a 2 month old 8700c was $550-red flag) will be credited:

Hello Seller,
Am happy to be the winner of your items.Well,am sending it to my son's in W.Africa so i will like to give you $100.00 for the shipping through USMail first Class.So can i have your PayPal account email address for the payment?...Here is the shipping address:

Mohammed Steve
37,MikeBee Ventures,Olawale Street,Imalefalafia, Ibadan, Oyo-State, Nigeria

Mail me back..
Mohamed.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #26
buggle_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoscalling
This past Sunday the exact scenario happened to me. I have contacted ebay and they said this is a known scam. Hopefully my fee's (his winning bid for a 2 month old 8700c was $550-red flag) will be credited:

Hello Seller,
Am happy to be the winner of your items.Well,am sending it to my son's in W.Africa so i will like to give you $100.00 for the shipping through USMail first Class.So can i have your PayPal account email address for the payment?...Here is the shipping address:

Mohammed Steve
37,MikeBee Ventures,Olawale Street,Imalefalafia, Ibadan, Oyo-State, Nigeria

Mail me back..
Mohamed.
Very similar of what happened to me when I was selling my nokia 6600. except I got aabout 6 of those sent to me
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #27
b3n_asian_freak

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....
Carrier: T-Mobile

Come on people. Scammer are everywhere; you just gotta know how to protect your self. I never sold my stuff to non-US buyer. I need them to have confirmed addresses and I always shipped with delivered confirmation and insurance for high value items.
For buying, when i looked at the listing and saw some sh*t like :'contact me via email ....@......com' i skipped it, don't ever read it.
I don't even trust money order in some cases also.
eBay is fun is great when you know how to protect your self and your money. If you are totally new, get somebody to help you, you might lose big load of money on eBay easy. Don't feed those scammer !!! They are high-tech thief !!! lol
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #28
whoscalling

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3n_asian_freak
..... If you are totally new, get somebody to help you, you might lose big load of money on eBay easy. Don't feed those scammer !!! They are high-tech thief !!! lol
The above part of your quote is exactly why we are posting these examples. To help out other members of BB forums that might not be as Ebay savy as yourself.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #29
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

The Gecko likes to refer to being scammed as a lack of "Good Ole Common Sense"

The Gecko
Old 08-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #30
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
The Gecko likes to refer to being scammed as a lack of "Good Ole Common Sense"

The Gecko
Dude...there was nothing I could do....some guy buys your stuff on eBay...you can't control that!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #31
InPocket

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

this is why i stay away from ebay altogether. When i am ready to sell my ppc im going to try and do it here. for some reason bbforums feels alot safer to me.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #32
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
Dude...there was nothing I could do....some guy buys your stuff on eBay...you can't control that!

The Norris is not wrong. I was stating in general, not particularly to EBay. I stay away from selling things to people that I can't see. To much opportunity to get effed over if you know what I mean.

And that's Gecko, not dude! lol
Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #33
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

So true.....I think I'm done with ebay. Selling, anyway.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #34
No Longer Registered.

Hey justin.culp.. what you can do to get your final value fees refunded, you have to file a claim and report the item as UNPAID.. but you have to wait 7 days after the end of auction.

One thing you guys need to keep in mind that the only safe way to sell on ebay is through PayPal. Being a PowerSeller, I have set up my preference only to sell to buyers who have PayPal account. That's why I am not selling as crazy like other sellers do because of this requirement, being safe is better than being sorry. This is after what had happened to me early this year.

It happened with me with this one dude who purchased a couple of 7520 accessories from me and didn't pay for it. I had to email him like 20 times and after all those, obviously I had to leave a negative feedback. And the next thing I know, all my inventory was purchased.. worth almost $4,000. I incurred almost $300 of fees. He purchased most of my inventory for the sole purpose of leaving me negative feedbacks (14 of those). Little did he know that even though he left 14 negative feedbacks, it only counted as one. Guess what? It is the same person who bought the 7520 accessories, using different ebay member handle.

Anyway, to cut the story short -- eBay removed the negative feedbacks from my profile as in purged, and recovered by fees back.

You just have to file your claim and definitely they will investigate it.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #35
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
The Norris is not wrong. I was stating in general, not particularly to EBay. I stay away from selling things to people that I can't see. To much opportunity to get effed over if you know what I mean.

And that's Gecko, not dude! lol
That's the sole reason why I put my face in my "me" profile on ebay for my potential buyers to see. Sometimes, having a 100% feedback isn't enough.

Almost always, when my buyers have concerns in regards to the items I sell -- I give them my mobile number so I can address it personally. I take it personally.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #36
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

eBay has already credited my acount for the final values fee. I just had to pay for the list ing, which is legit.

I relisted it with a few new requirements. PayPal only!!

BTW

<shamelesspromotion>Starting bid is only $45</shamelesspromotion>

Thanks for listening to my rant!!

Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #37
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPocket
this is why i stay away from ebay altogether. When i am ready to sell my ppc im going to try and do it here. for some reason bbforums feels alot safer to me.
Sorry, but that sounds really pretty silly. Does that mean that you'd sell to someone via bbforums who had a very low message count, asked you to send it outside the country, etc?? BBforums is no more or less safer than eBay, as others have said here, you just need to exercise good old common sense - in either place. I've done a fair bit of buying AND selling on eBay, including some items for over $1000, and never had problems, but then as a buyer I don't bid on anything that doesn't accept PayPal, I never respond to an outside email address, I carefully check feedback profiles - and as a seller I insist on PayPal payments, don't ship until the money's in my account, sell/ship only to registered addresses, etc. Its alllllllllllll about common sense, and bbforums is no better or worse than eBay as a venue.

My 8700c came from eBay, and there were NO issues whatsoever - it was legitimate, not stolen, arrived promptly and has worked great for the last 6 months. But I did my homework in advance, before ever placing a bid.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
b3n_asian_freak

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....
Carrier: T-Mobile

eBay is a good place for you to buy and sell stuff, but you gotta know how to use it right. Nothing is perfect anyway. I sold a lot of stuff on eBay also bought a lot from there. Never experienced a problem since I always take time for every listings I posted and read carefully everything I was gonna buy. Just be more careful and don't just get it because the price looks so sweet to you. Get what you need at a decent price, that's how I look at eBay.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #39
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I was selling a Nokia 9300 this week on ebay and had the item "purchased" by a Nigerian scam artist.

Since Sunday I have been toying with the dude. we have been exchanging emails and I keep telling him I did as he asked, and tell him that I still don't see my paypal account credited. I also keep telling him I won't ship until payment posts, he is trying REALLY hard to get me to ship. I have gotten like 4 "paypal" pay notices.

I got him thinking I plan to send it, meanwhile, I already relisted, sold it and shipped it to another, legit, buyer.

I just like messing with these scammers. at this point I just want to see how far he will go before he gives up, LOL.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #40
paulmac

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask

In searching for a sidekick on E-bay for my daughter (yeah I know tried to talk her out of it, but she is only 14) I too ran into this. That is you are looking at an add then down the page is an e-mail address that says E mail me if you want to pay now etc. They were offering a SK3 for $250.00 and free shipping. So I e-mailed, well response I got was from someone in Romania who wanted me to pay using western union etc. I basically told them no thanks, and reported the posting to E-bay.

Another scam I have seen was when selling phones on E-bay would get e-mails from people in Romania or Nigeria offering me like $500.00 if I would given them bank account info for direct deposit etc. Yeah Right thats going to happen.

As they say if it is too good to be true, then it probably is. So let the buyer (and seller) beware.
Closed Thread