BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #41
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

I can't comprehed why VZW doesn't enable it and offer their VZNavigator service. I can see the argument that if they open it up, they will loose business to the competing GPS software, but the net gain for them would clearly be positive, as their profits go up as soon as they sign up the first VZNavigator account.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #42
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Verizon does not care about any of you!!!!
Switch to Sprint.
Not that they care about you either, but atleast they have the GPS nuggets you so desperately crave...

I hate dealing wih VZW, the only wireless store where you have to take a number to be waited on by a person who will refer you to another sales associate to help you select the car charger that you could have walker over and grabbed yourself.

just my .02
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #43
dheida
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdposhkus

I hate dealing wih VZW, the only wireless store where you have to take a number to be waited on by a person who will refer you to another sales associate to help you select the car charger that you could have walker over and grabbed yourself.
I couldn't believe the process I had to go through the last time I was in a Verizon store. A guy supervising the greeter that told me to use the computer to sign in....aacckk
To the topic at hand...with Alltel releasing the 8703e tomorrow, supposedly it is going to be pre-loaded with Tele-Nav but they are going to charge $10 to use it.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:38 AM   #44
ErikPritchard

Model: 8703e

I don't think VZW left out GPS features to upset anyone...they are just late. My prediction is that GPS features will be enabled as they already are on other VZW PDA's.

Someone made a comment about parents wanting to track teenagers but VZW lacked a teen phone... that's changing. You'll see a few normal handsets that will work with Chaperone (VZW tracking service) shortly.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #45
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikPritchard
I don't think VZW left out GPS features to upset anyone...they are just late. My prediction is that GPS features will be enabled as they already are on other VZW PDA's.

Someone made a comment about parents wanting to track teenagers but VZW lacked a teen phone... that's changing. You'll see a few normal handsets that will work with Chaperone (VZW tracking service) shortly.
and where my friend might we find substantial rumour information regarding this?

I'm along with the rest of the P/O'ed crowd regarding how Verizon is a prick for crippling everything on their phones, unfortunately the ONLY reason I stay is because since they are the second largest carrier I not only talk to my whole family (7 Immediate 10 extended on a regular basis) but judging by my non verizon-verizon usage it appears most my friends ARE on verizon. I'd switch to Cing/Tmo if I could get the fam to switch. I like that GSM is the what the world uses, not the old stuff (not to mention their rates!)
Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #46
don q

Model: 8700g
PIN: 23D6EA2B
Carrier: Tmobile

I thought I read somewhere that vzw does not use true gps. What I mean is that I thought they I read somewhere that they use some sort of data from the phone which is then sent to the towers to calculate your position. So they make is seem like your phone has gps when it doesn't really have it. Especially since some of their phones are really small and fitting a decent gps receiver in a package that size would be tough.

I can see where gps on the phone would be great, but the flip side is would you want the man to be able to track you?

I think the rrason vzw doesn't offer the dervice is because they can't yet, after all vzw is the money making machine.

Perhaps a vzw tech comment.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #47
typeshprelude98
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Sprint

This is why Verizon sucks... and Sprint RULES!
I am a Sprint user for life...maybe I am a little biased though...working for them and all...
Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #48
ChefJon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by don q
I thought I read somewhere that vzw does not use true gps. What I mean is that I thought they I read somewhere that they use some sort of data from the phone which is then sent to the towers to calculate your position. So they make is seem like your phone has gps when it doesn't really have it. Especially since some of their phones are really small and fitting a decent gps receiver in a package that size would be tough.

I can see where gps on the phone would be great, but the flip side is would you want the man to be able to track you?

I think the rrason vzw doesn't offer the dervice is because they can't yet, after all vzw is the money making machine.

Perhaps a vzw tech comment.
VZW doesn't have to "offer" anything. The 8703c comes equipped with a GPS receiver. All VZW has to do is allow the GPS capability to work. GPS doesn't even use their resources. It uses the GPS sats that our tax dollars have paid for.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #49
jfalkingham

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by don q
Their devices do indeed contain a 'true' GPS chip, however the processing is done over the network and a combination called assisted GPS (A-GPS). It is true that if you are in an out of network area, then you would not have a full fledged GPS system. The combination of reading GPS data, and tower information provides a better location algorithm than a regular stand alone GPS device, especially in a downtown location with all of the buildings creating poor GPS reception. The VZW device will work indoors too, and be very accurate. So it is TRUE GPS, just not a true standalone GPS device, its just assisted and that assistance can make the overall experience better.

Now VZW - Either offer up VZ Navigator for the 8703/7103e devices and charge us, or unlock the GPS restriction if you can't get VZ navigator working on the BB OS (lol). It's that simple.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #50
smallville20
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hello... Verizon? I'm still waiting!
Old 05-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #51
Akakios
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland View Post
I think we Verizon 8703e and 7130E users are pretty pissed off to hear that Sprint is allowing their customers to use the feature but Verizon is not. I think we can get a pretty substantial petition to present to Verizon...

whadya say guys?

SIGN THE PETITION HERE
Verizon Blackberry GPS Petition

I HAVE SINCE SWITCHED TO CINGULAR. But I promise to come through on my promise that once we have enough signatures, I will deliver this to Verizon...
What's enough signatures? Im switching to Sprint I think. I'm feeling bitter toward Verizon right now
Old 05-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #52
frankieb96

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

signed the petition

8830 user here
Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #53
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvitale View Post
Agreed. How do we fight this?
By not buying a VZW phone or service. Pretty simple. Go with a competitor who doesn't cripple their hardware.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #54
rpvitale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Done, left them for ATT. Crippled GPS on every BB they get? So Done. I've been with them, with the same number since 1995 (Bell Atlantic Mobile). I'll deal with the weaker network. It's not that bad but it is weaker. When I called to cancel, they didn't even try to keep me.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #55
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

this is a waste of time they will never listen
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #56
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Done, left them for ATT. Crippled GPS on every BB they get? So Done. I've been with them, with the same number since 1995 (Bell Atlantic Mobile). I'll deal with the weaker network. It's not that bad but it is weaker. When I called to cancel, they didn't even try to keep me.

yeah, no question Verizon is the best Voice service available, but the crippled devices, well, that's a deal breaker..I moved to cingular too.

But still waiting for 1000 signatures and I will deliver this to Verizon..
Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #57
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I moved to Cingular from VZW over this "crippling" issue (not just GPS, but everything else as well). I had been a VZW customer for 10 years and stuck with them because of the voice quality on their network, but enough was enough, and I switched to Cingular despite the SIGNIFICANT drop off in voice quality

Incidentally, I'm not being rude, but this is a complete waste of everyone's time. There is exactly zero chance that they'll open up GPS to third party apps (i.e. TeleNav, etc.) -- that would be completely out of character. Except for the "mistake" in the original release of teh RAZR V3c, I've never known VZW to permit anything "non-proprietary". Your only hope is that they can get VZNav working with it quickly; if they can't, they still won't "unlock" it to third parties because they "might" some day figure out how to get VZNav to work, and then what?

Just my two cents.

--Mav
Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #58
riddick021

Model: 800w

Quote:
Agreed. How do we fight this?
Get a different service. I think once other carriers start getting better coverage Verizon's business model will cease to work. While focusing on the reception is important they are not going to be able to get away with offering mediocre crippled phones at outrageous prices for long. I went with Nextel because they give me 500 minutes + DC + Blackberry service for 39.99. This would probably cost close to $100 or more with Verizon and personally I think the difference in service and speed is not worth that high of a markup.
Closed Thread