Old 05-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T
Default Mods

Please Login to Remove!

I'm sure I'll take a ton of heat for this but at this point I think it needs to be addressed.

I'll be the first to admit that seeing a post that has been asnwered 30 times, I get a little annoyed. However I have the common curtousey to reply with a helpful answer. Or atleast I'll reply without an aditude. In no way does that make me any better of a person so I would hope whoever reads this doesn't jump to the conclusion that I'm assuming so.

However in a moderator I would expect to see a helpful aditude and for the most part most of you are extremely helpful and are not rude to anyone. However there are a few of you moderators that when I read your replys to some posts I wonder to myself if he acts like this to people he's never met before on a message forum I wonder how he acts towards people at work or how he acts to his family.

I mean if you're really that miserable of a person that you have to act like this as a moderator when you should, I feel, be a representative of these forums why not just quit being a moderator?

Look at it this way, if you called your service provider with a question and it's in the FAQ on their site and that csr was rude and basically called you an idiot wouldnt you be a little upset?

I guess to sum it up if you're really sick of all the same questions every day (hey I completely understand that, it drives me nuts too) and don't have the patience to reply with helpful or nice answers then why not just stop moderating? You're not helping anyone or anything by being complete jerks, besides maybe you're own egos.

Like I said it's not all of the mods, just a select few and I'm almost positive you know who you are. Well that's the end of my plea, just something to think about. I love these boards for the most part, just sick of seeing people act like jerks here. Especially people who should be helping more than anyone else.

Flame away.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

If you could pm me with the "selected few" and possibly provide me with links to where this is happening it would be appreciated.

Just seeing if its the same mods that i have had complaints about already.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

I'm not trying to 'nark' anyone out. I'm just hoping they'd read this and maybe realize their own doings I guess.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
likefre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I also think this issue needs to be addressed.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Fine, you got in a fight with a mod yesterday. What issue has to be addressed?

A major difference in the argument from above: when you call you call your service provider, you are PAYING THEM.

All the mods here work for free.

We ABSOLUTELY have the right to speak our minds.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
likefre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Fine, you got in a fight with a mod yesterday. What issue has to be addressed?

A major difference in the argument from above: when you call you call your service provider, you are PAYING THEM.

All the mods here work for free.

We ABSOLUTELY have the right to speak our minds.
I agree with you 100%. But just some thoughts.
My post above in any way reflects my thoughts towards you as a mod or as a fellow member of this community, you are one of the good mods who is always helpful, respectful and willing to assist other fellow members of this community, for that, I thank you. ( I just wanted to make that clear)

I did get into an argument yesterday with another mod. It started as an opinion but turned into an argument when the mod did not agree with my opinion and threaten to ban me eventhough I did agree with part of his comments and I'm sure you would agree that THAT'S NOT RIGHT!
Now you may say that my agreeing with the threat starter was based on the argument that I had with another mod yesterday, well yes, but it comes down to the fact that this thread esentially adresses 3 things:

1) Mods should be setting an example to other members by being respectful and willing to assist or help, remember we don't have the capability to ban or close threads
2) Mods should not abuse their "powers" (closing threads unnecesarily, ban members just because they dont agree with them.
3) Mods were made mods because they were frequently helping other members or pointing them to the right direction while still being respectful to them, even if they asked the same question 1000 times.

Now you say that you are working as mods for free, which is true and I understand that, but as I remember, this is a volunteer task, you are not being forced to do it.
NJ I've read you lots of times and have always appreciate your willingness to help and assist other members of the community so I want to stressed that in any way my comments reflect my opinion towards you as a fellow member nor as a mod. Thanks.
Limary

Last edited by likefre; 07-03-2006 at 08:18 AM..
Old 07-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

It's an interesting little one this. The way I look at it is in two ways - firstly I always try to treat others as I would want to be treated by them, and secondly, if the first Spiderman movie taught us nothing it was that "with great power comes great responsibility"!! All joking aside (as I'm quite obviously trying to break the tension on this one) I think the mods do need to set an example to keep the forum in order, but in keeping the forum in order they must stop people from doing things like double posting and the like. There are currently 54,862 registered members on this forum (ok some will be unused accounts or one off posters) and ocassionally someone will put someone elses back up - it's the nature of being human!! We all have our bad days....god knows I do!!!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
likefre

Well said!.
Although no tension on my part...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
Gkins3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B4032B
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Cheers!

Very well said I will agree. I have been a part of many free and paid forums in the past and this is the first one that I have ever had anything bad to say about. As a new BB user, I have occassionaly logged into this forum to look for an answer and sometimes I find it. More often I find a rediculous response by someone and read on to see where it goes.

This site could do great things... but it never will. Not only does it have some smart-ass moderators, but it has a smart-ass founder too. When someone questioned why it rented out some advertisments, that person got the most idiotic, screwed up, smart-ass response... I could not believe it came from the person that developed this site. Grow up!

The whole purpose of a forum like this is to share, compare, help and post your opinions. This site appears to go by the opinion of "my opinion is the only one that counts" and your opinion sucks! Get over yourselves! You may pride yourself in having 54,000+ registered members... but how many regularly use it!

Hopefully this turns into a good forum in the future... best of luck.

Fire away at your responses. I will not respond to a thing unless asked to directly.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Did you say something?
6 posts. An expert.

Thanks for playing.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Quote:
Did you say something?
6 posts. An expert.

Thanks for playing.
Wow folks, lets take a step back and chill. This is a forum to gather info and also share, its just a forum. There are more important things in life then this.

I think that all the Mods here are wonderful. Do I agree with some of the wording that they use, sometimes not, but we are all human.

We all have to remember, sometimes people look to deep into words then they shold, they take it personally.

There a better things in life, one of them is going to Seattle tomorrow.

Read what you want, ignore with what you dont

I am done my rant. But still love this site
Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

NJ, I quoted you but this was not directed at you
Old 07-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
penk

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Did you say something?
6 posts. An expert.

Thanks for playing.
this is a perfect example of the attitude problem being described.

this forum is becoming less and less inviting, and while i still visit daily, you can see that my contribution has dwindled over the past months. there are multiple reasons for this, but the topic of this thread is perhaps the most impelling reason for my diminishing interest in being an active member.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I'm sorry you feel this way. When people attack the way we, the volunteer moderators of this forum, attempt to try and keep things on track, then I will defend myself. And others.

Don't like sarcasm, sorry.
Don't like jokes, sorry.

I'll be totally honest - if it irritates you to come here, please fine another forum! It's easy. I have left forums that I got aggravated with - see RimRoad for details. If it gets you SO UPSET, go elsewhere. That's not sarcasm. That's my opinion.

There's plenty of room for everyone. Even the mods.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
penk

Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink
Default For Your Consideration

this thread at HowardForums was an interesting read, even more so now.

many posters respectfully stated their opinions and feelings regarding bbfo, and one solitary poster validated those claims with the same panache being shown here.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #16
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I remember that thread. Notice that they were all from another forum and bashed ME.

Just like you are.. Are you from that forum too?

What is your intention here? Are you trying to add value or pick a fight?

Do not try and tell me how to behave. You can choose to ignore my posts. Feel free.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 07-03-2006 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #17
likefre

Hey!,
I never intended for this thread to turn the it has, I just stated my opinion while appreciating NJ'c contributions to the forum.
Like I said, personally, I think NJ's is a great moderator and an example of what a mod should be. But i have to agree with some of the posters on the fact that there are mods that are disrespectful and that because of their mods status they think they are better than everyone else, or because they have so many posts in such a short period of time; eventhough when you examine the quality of the content on most of their posts; well, their contribution was minimal to the subject or it could also mean that they asked soooo many question and did not know how to use the search feature..
Now, I know some mods will say, "Oh, she's jealous", I ask you; Jealous of what? As NJ pointed out, this is a volunteer task!. Now if you tell me you were getting paid for being a mod, that's another story, I would really be jealous.
Anyway we should all respect each others opinions.
Just my .02
Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #18
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

My appologies for my lack of response on this subject. I have been MIA since the begining of summer, and have totally missed the responses here, and the further pm's towards me. All have been replied to, and most of these issues have been addressed. We will see the outcomes in a few days.

Take Care guys, feel free to PM me with any further concerns.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #19
option94
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can see where a lot of people just dont take well to sarcasm. I can see the humor in a lot of things others can't, if someones helping me and calling me an idiot at the same time, ok. I take it as a joke, as they are still helping me, so how bad can this person be. I love this forum. I find it worse at hofo. You cant get an answer besides "search"
Old 08-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #20
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

I'm just trying to become a Crackberry Addict.