BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
robrow65

Model: 7100g
Default Newbee help with sync in Outlook

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks in advance!

I have a 7100g that is using the latest software from the BB Cingular d/l site. I am not using the BB service from Cingular, just Outlook 2003 (w/ all svc packs) stand alone on WinXP/SP2.

The problem I have is this....
In the outlook address book, I have assigned most of my contacts a category. But when I sync, I can't seem to make the BB take the categories from Outlook. As I understand, outlook categories are "filters" on the BB side. is this correct?

After I sync, I'll look at the same contact on the BB, but cannot find the assigned "outlook category"

Please let me know what I am doing wrong!

Last edited by robrow65; 06-12-2006 at 10:54 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
balibe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100i

Not sure if the categories are created on the BB that you have in Outlook. They are transfered if assigned to a contact. Try creating the same Categories on the BB that you have in Outlook & resync.

Hope this helps ....

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 06-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
robrow65

Quote:
Originally Posted by balibe
Not sure if the categories are created on the BB that you have in Outlook. They are transfered if assigned to a contact. Try creating the same Categories on the BB that you have in Outlook & resync.

Hope this helps ....
Are you saying that I have to touch every contact one by one in the BB to add the bb filter (outlook category)? I have over 200 contacts! This is not a good solution. Sureley there must be a better way!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
bremere
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8230
PIN: ky and the Brain
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I believe what balibe is saying is that with your bb you should create the same titles for your categories BEFORE you sync the next time. I.E. if you have an outlook contact list that says "Family" make sure you create that same "family" category on your bb. Just my $0.02
Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
robrow65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremere
I believe what balibe is saying is that with your bb you should create the same titles for your categories BEFORE you sync the next time. I.E. if you have an outlook contact list that says "Family" make sure you create that same "family" category on your bb. Just my $0.02
Thanks for the reply, but that does not work.

For example, "Personal" is already a BB filter/category. I set in Outlook, a few contacts, Outlook Category=Personal. I then synced. When I look at the BB contacts that should have been modified, Personal does not show up in the detailed contact info, unless I touch it explicitly.

So, it appears to me that I am going to have to touch each contact to get this to work.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
SCODonnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: the_tail_on_the_donkey
Carrier: Sprint
Default Desktop Manager - Field Mappings

I would suggest you take a look at the field mappings within the Desktop Manager. Most of the time these mappings are correct, but in your case, there may be a problem.
  1. Launch the Desktop Manager
  2. Select Intellisync
  3. Configure PIM...
  4. Select Address Book
  5. Configure | Advanced Settings
  6. Field Mapping...
  7. Scroll down the list (about half way) and check to make sure you have the mapping between the two "Categories" fields

See if that helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
robrow65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCODonnell
I would suggest you take a look at the field mappings within the Desktop Manager. Most of the time these mappings are correct, but in your case, there may be a problem.
  1. Launch the Desktop Manager
  2. Select Intellisync
  3. Configure PIM...
  4. Select Address Book
  5. Configure | Advanced Settings
  6. Field Mapping...
  7. Scroll down the list (about half way) and check to make sure you have the mapping between the two "Categories" fields

See if that helps.
Thanks for your reply!

I have looked at what you suggested, but on the BB side there is not either a "category" or "filters" option in my PIM advanced settings.

I looked at at co-wroker's PIM advanced settings and his did have the "categories" option on the BB side. I'll take a another (third) look at my PIM configuration.

Meanwhile, if not exist, does anyone know how to add "categories" to the BB side in:
Configure PIM...
Select Address Book
Configure | Advanced Settings
Field Mapping... (HERE- How do I add "categories" to the BB side as an option to field map?)

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by robrow65; 06-13-2006 at 12:47 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
robrow65

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrow65
Thanks for your reply!

I have looked at what you suggested, but on the BB side there is not either a "category" or "filters" option in my PIM advanced settings.

I looked at at co-wroker's PIM advanced settings and his did have the "categories" option on the BB side. I'll take a another (third) look at my PIM configuration.

Meanwhile, if not exist, does anyone know how to add "categories" to the BB side in:
Configure PIM...
Select Address Book
Configure | Advanced Settings
Field Mapping... (HERE- How do I add "categories" to the BB side as an option to field map?)

Thanks!
Rob
OK, I looked again agn at "field mapping." Categories is NOT a choice on the BB side. How do I add it?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
robrow65

Default Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrow65
OK, I looked again agn at "field mapping." Categories is NOT a choice on the BB side. How do I add it?

I solved this one by myself, it turns out that somehow the wrong version of the desktop mananger was installed. Cingular confirmed the correct version for me. After I uninstaled the bad version and then installed the correct version, "categories" was an available field to map in the advanced options.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
AWitten

Model: 8700

Did the BB desktop Manager affect the SIM phone book in any way? I use a Dell PPC and will continue, just for ease of use while at Customers. The BB, Outlook, and my PPC shall sync.
Has anyone tried this as well?
Closed Thread