Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Stoo06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Sync with Macbook and PC

Please Login to Remove!

I am about to buy a new laptop and am seriously leaning toward a Macbook pro. I have searched for information here, but none of it seems to be too current, so I wanted to get you input...

I want to sync my 9700 with this Macbook, and I also want to sync it with my PC at the office. Am in for a world of hurt, or is this pretty standard now...

The last time I looked at this, there wasn't even a Mac version of Outlook and so on...

Thoughts?

And thanks!

Last edited by Stoo06; 01-24-2011 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Sync with Macbook and PC

Look again .... DM version 2 for the Mac was released a month or so ago. It is almost as good as the PC version, but you can only update your OS if it is an official release from your carrier. Still have to use the PC for other OS upgrades.

Is your BB on BES? IMHO, it isn't a good idea to mix personal and work info on one device. If you use BIS, then it can be better managed and separated, but is still difficult.

I use a MacBookPro and sync the BB with it. Also have an XP desktop. However, I use Google for calendar and contacts to keep my BB, MacBook, office PC, Mac mini at home and a Windows 7 notebook in sync wirelessly. Seems to me to be easier than syncing with a cable all the time, plus when I do an update, it goes to all platforms within 30 minutes.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Stoo06
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks Dubdub...

I spent some time at the Mac store today. In one of those things that makes you go "hmmm..."...

Yes, there is no DM to sync the BB with a Mac
Yes, there is now Outlook for the Mac
No, you can't sync the BB with Outlook. WTF?

I got some spiel about syncing to iCal etc. and this works fine, and then I can still sync with Outlook at work, but this seems like a pain.

Mac guy speculated that the next release of DM for Mac, will allow sync with Outlook. Has anyone heard about such a thing?

If I was "certain" then I would be inclined to move forward and sort it out later...

I like the idea of using some online calendar to sync up everything, so I'll llok into this some as well.

And yes, I am on BIS.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo06 View Post
Thanks Dubdub...

Yes, there is no DM to sync the BB with a Mac Wrong. We are on version 2 of DM with the Mac
Yes, there is now Outlook for the Mac True
No, you can't sync the BB with Outlook. WTF? You could sync with Entourage, the previous Mac email client) the new Office for Mac has Outlook, but I use Thunderbird for email

I got some spiel about syncing to iCal etc. and this works fine, and then I can still sync with Outlook at work, but this seems like a pain.

Mac guy speculated that the next release of DM for Mac, will allow sync with Outlook. Has anyone heard about such a thing?

If I was "certain" then I would be inclined to move forward and sort it out later...

I like the idea of using some online calendar to sync up everything, so I'll llok into this some as well. Google seems to be the best and most reliable

And yes, I am on BIS.
See my comments in NAVY

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 01-25-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
jasbart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo06 View Post
Yes, there is now Outlook for the Mac
No, you can't sync the BB with Outlook. WTF?

As I understand it, the problem with syncing with Outlook isn't Blackberry DM, it's Outlook itself. Microsoft shipped Office 2011 with the ability to sync with Exchange, but without sync services for non-Exchange users, because "In Outlook 14.0, the release arriving (last October), you’ll find sync support for your contacts through Sync Services (Exchange users have full sync support for their content). We do understand that Calendar sync is important and are working on it now. It will be available in a free update to Outlook for Mac 2011 and we will keep you posted on timing."

I believe the only thing that's sync-able with Outlook 2011 for Mac is Contacts. Not Calendar, not Tasks, not Memos.

Here are two blogs from the Microsoft website that cover the sorry situation. Read the responses, too...it gets pretty entertaining.
The Download on Sync Services in Office for Mac 2011 | Office For Mac

Outlook for Mac and Your Calendars | Office For Mac

Jim
Closed Thread