Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Cingular Orange 8700 Modem Instructions

Please Login to Remove!

Don't know if this was posted already but I will update my tips for it.

Cingular Orange Customers can look here for a complete answer

http://supportcingular.atgnow.com/cn...e/KB53592.html
Old 01-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Good information. Still leaves one very big question.

Additional tethering charges may apply.

* RIM Blackberry Data Plans include in plan charges for email (Blackberry APN) and Internet browsing (isp.cingular APN).
* Other types of data transfer, such as tethering, will be subject to additional charges according to the user's rate plan.

I haven't seen anything on their site that tells what the additional charges will be. And, I wonder if the CS folks at Cingular know how to set this up.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30184580
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozment
Good information. Still leaves one very big question.

Additional tethering charges may apply.

* RIM Blackberry Data Plans include in plan charges for email (Blackberry APN) and Internet browsing (isp.cingular APN).
* Other types of data transfer, such as tethering, will be subject to additional charges according to the user's rate plan.

I haven't seen anything on their site that tells what the additional charges will be. And, I wonder if the CS folks at Cingular know how to set this up.
I'm with you. Clearly, based on these statements, my unlimited BB data plan covers me for data packets sent/received for email and Internet purposes. My question is: unless I use a tethered laptop in such a way so as to generate either a different type of data packet (i.e., through a different port), or such a different volume of data packets as to make clear that I am doing neither e-mail nor Internet browsing (i.e., I play an online game), how the heck can Cingular even know whether the packet originated/terminated at the BB or on a laptop? If, as they say, my plan includes access to isp.cingular, and I log in my laptop through isp.cingular, they can't...right?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDummy
If, as they say, my plan includes access to isp.cingular, and I log in my laptop through isp.cingular, they can't...right?
Beats me! The one consistent thing about it is that it's different for everybody! Some people are charged. Others aren't. I seem to be one of the lucky few. I have been tethering for a long time (using info from the modem thread on bbforums) and they have never charged me. Others do the same thing I'm doing and get charged.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
david482
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

I'm new to Cingular and have the combined billing with SBC so as yet I'm not sure what if any extra I am being charged? I did the set up but am using "wap.cingular" instead of "isp.cingular" and am curious as to the difference. I have been able to used the 8700 as a modem and it seems fine. I guess I need to keep checking my bill.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default Data Charges

FWIW, I am Cingular Blue and I get charged .0048/kb. I am on a corporate plan. I have not figured out how to configure setttings so that I don't get this charge and get connected. I have not tried alot of combos at this time. We did hear at the Launch parties that they would be lauching more formal plans in Q1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozment
Beats me! The one consistent thing about it is that it's different for everybody! Some people are charged. Others aren't. I seem to be one of the lucky few. I have been tethering for a long time (using info from the modem thread on bbforums) and they have never charged me. Others do the same thing I'm doing and get charged.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
grunte

Model: 8700C

I have followed the KB faithfully, as well as a number of other suggestions. Regardless of userrid (and there are several out there), I get the 736 error message- connected but rejected for TCP/IP error.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Are you sure you have all the "hardware features" NOT checked? (double click on your blackberry connection, properties->general->configure)
make sure hardware flow control, modem error control, modem compression are NOT checked.

I know this one tripped me up even after I had carefully read through the instructions...
Closed Thread