BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
BlackBerry.est07

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default Anyone Have Windows Live Messenger 2.1 Service Books? (Bell)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey, was wondering if anyone was on Bell and would have the Windows Live Messenger 2.1 ("WLM 2.1") service books.

If you do, would you mind backing up or saving just the service books to a .ipd file and uploading it?

The reason why is I want to see if that is the problem why I am no longer able to connect to WLM on my 8830 with Bell when I was having no problems ever since I purchased the 8830 2 years ago. Checked my service books and those service books were missing, knowing full well that they were there before.

If anyone can, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I don't beleive you can do this with Service books, they are pushed from the carrier.

Have you tried resending the service books from the BIS Site or from the Email setup icon? Or tried re-installing the application?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
BlackBerry.est07

I think you can. Some of the Bell Storm users were playing around with it and some say it worked. It might not work but I definitely want to give it a shot.

I've resent the service books and even called BlackBerry technical support but they're too stubborn to listen to what my problem is and the question. When you try to explain to them about the SPECIFIC SERVICE BOOKS FOR WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER, they automatically assume you're talking about service books in general. So basically calling them a bunch of times isn't any use.

But back to the problem, I know those service books exists because I had them and were removed from my device.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
SteveO86

Has your carrier been any help?

Each carrier pushes different service books and those service books are specific to the carrier. Not controlled by RIM.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
BlackBerry.est07

Again, Bell BlackBerry support is pretty much useless. All they know how to do is re-send service books. Service Books being pretty much being a core factor in terms of BlackBerry usage, you would think some support agent would have some idea. I mean, if I tell you there ARE suppose to be so and so service books, if you have no clue, put me on hold and ask your supervisor or the next tier rather than telling me you'll resend the service books or it's not a service book issue.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
froussy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: 271A36CC
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry.est07 View Post
Again, Bell BlackBerry support is pretty much useless. All they know how to do is re-send service books. Service Books being pretty much being a core factor in terms of BlackBerry usage, you would think some support agent would have some idea. I mean, if I tell you there ARE suppose to be so and so service books, if you have no clue, put me on hold and ask your supervisor or the next tier rather than telling me you'll resend the service books or it's not a service book issue.
Bell Data tech are not useless... i call them regularly and they fix the issues that we are having..

Did you ever think it may be an issue with your BB ? Did you tried to re-register the HRT, or even wipe to start from scratch ? Or in your service book, to delete and undelete the WLM service book ?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
BlackBerry.est07

Quote:
Originally Posted by froussy View Post
Bell Data tech are not useless... i call them regularly and they fix the issues that we are having..

Did you ever think it may be an issue with your BB ? Did you tried to re-register the HRT, or even wipe to start from scratch ? Or in your service book, to delete and undelete the WLM service book ?
It isn't a problem with my BlackBerry. It is in fact a problem with many other BlackBerry users. I'm an active user over at HowardForums and CrackBerry and I'm knowledgeable on BlackBerry's and basic troubleshooting has failed and now I'm trying to go beyond what Bell tech support is able to provide. That's great if they're able to help you out, but what annoys me again is they have no knowledge of what I'm asking. I'm telling them I'm missing a few specific service books regarding WLM, don't tell me to delete all my service books so you can send them because I've done that many times. Instead of trying to avoid the question, just let me know, are you aware or familiar with the "WLM 2.1" service books, yes or no. I just need them to answer that so I can go from there.

(Again, those service books do exist because all carriers have them, I had them, were removed and having a hell of a time trying to get Bell tech support to try to realize that and send them to me or explain what is going on.)
Old 03-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
mjanelle

Carrier: bell

it's ok ??? give me news !!!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
shaf77
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry.est07 View Post
Hey, was wondering if anyone was on Bell and would have the Windows Live Messenger 2.1 ("WLM 2.1") service books.

If you do, would you mind backing up or saving just the service books to a .ipd file and uploading it?

The reason why is I want to see if that is the problem why I am no longer able to connect to WLM on my 8830 with Bell when I was having no problems ever since I purchased the 8830 2 years ago. Checked my service books and those service books were missing, knowing full well that they were there before.

If anyone can, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have the service books on my BB8830. How does one back them up? I don't mind sending them to you...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
BlackBerry.est07

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf77 View Post
I have the service books on my BB8830. How does one back them up? I don't mind sending them to you...
Hey Shaf,

What you want to do is run Desktop Manager, then select Backup/Restore and then click on Advanced. On the next window all you need to do is backup your service books, nothing else is needed to be backed up. The resulting file will be an .ipd file.

Also, before you backup, delete all your service books except for the service books that relate to Windows Live Messenger (WLM).

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
BlackBerry.est07

UPDATE: I got a hold of the WLM 2.1 service books and so far so good. All the problems I had connecting prior to loading the service books aren't there. I will definitely keep playing with it just to be sure.

If it ends up working, it gives me more of a reason to hate Bell and their lack of knowledge and support on their services.

Chalk a win for the consumer and another loss for Bell.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
SteveO86

Hopefully BES doesn't take away the service book...

Let us know this was interesting.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
BlackBerry.est07

Not on BES. If somehow Bell removes the service books, I always have a backup of it to put back on. I would call them and explain to them but feel it would be a waste of time, found my own solution to their problem and just going to run with it. Bell acknowledges that there is a problem, I'll let them sit around trying to fix it and maybe soon they'll actually find out that the removed a service book and decides to resend them to all users.

I created a thread over at HoFo and so far users are having success. Pretty confident that this is a valid fix.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
BlackBerry.est07

UPDATE: Many users over at HoFo are having success, this would be a temp. fix until Bell gets their s--- together!
Closed Thread