BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
kiran.bajaj

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Angry SMS Disappearing from the Blackberry 8100; Absence of device memory management tools

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Have recently switched to the blackberry 8100. Am impressed with the interface and the ease of operation - but quite frankly the logging and storage capability is ridiculous. I have a 2GB card supplementing the device. Everytime i send or receive an SMS - it disappears from the view in 1-2 minutes. When i go back into the messages option - i get "No Messages" staring at me. And no, i have not installed any 3rd party apps - just have some contacts, 2-3 notes on the phone. I have 5-6 mp3's on my media card - my media card shows 1.85GB free!!! When i check up on the settings - status option - it shows File free 0 bytes - which is ridiculous; file total is 65142784 bytes. The file free figure varies and i have mutliple diagnostic reports showing file free numbers ranging from 16533976 bytes; 8882600 bytes; 86272 bytes; 0 bytes. Differing figures from time to time. Total database size is 329.5K.

Questions

How come the internal memory cannot be managed and cleared through a utility? Most mobile phones provide software to maintain and manage - both internal memory as well as memory card content

Is the blackberry susceptible to viruses/trojans? I just have a bluetooth handsfree shakehand based connection (pre-authenticated)

I have not connected the device to any other (apart from another Nokia E51 - which belongs to me and is clean of any viruses for sure) - then how can then how is this (no internal memory) possible

How do i clear the browser cache? (Just to check, though, i have not used the device for internet browsing as yet)

How do i get to see a breakdown of how my internal memory is being utilized ? How do i get to see - what apps are currently active and are using up memory resources?

What is the default internal memory size of a blackberry 8100?

Does the blackberry allow storage / archival of Contacts, SMS, Notes on the memory card - so that the same can be stored and retrieved from the card and the internal memory is freed to give faster response time and better agility on the device?

The help is also not that exhaustive and is not searchable?

My feedback - Stack this up with the Nokia's (E Series), PDA Smartphones (Windows Mobile 6.1 based) - and this seems to be far behind .. Or maybe i am ignorant and wrong ..

These problems are forcing me to do away with this device and move towards the Nokia's and the PDA Smartphones..

Please help - so that my problem is solved and i change my opinion..

Thx & Rgds,
Kiran Bajaj.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
DennisLocke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

Hook up to desktop manager. Go to backup restore then advanced. You should be able to see how your memory has been used. That will probably give you a clue.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Comments in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran.bajaj View Post
Hi, Hi, and welcome to the BBForums.

Everytime i send or receive an SMS - it disappears from the view in 1-2 minutes. When i go back into the messages option - i get "No Messages" staring at me.
Read and use these two links:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/116396-managing-your-bb-memory-lost-call-logs-sms.html
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

And no, i have not installed any 3rd party apps - just have some contacts, 2-3 notes on the phone. I have 5-6 mp3's on my media card - my media card shows 1.85GB free!!!
Your Media Card will NOT store apps, call logs and/or messages, only media files like mp3s, vids, doc files, etc.

When i check up on the settings - status option - it shows File free 0 bytes - which is ridiculous;
See the Memory Management threads I posted above. You need help quick. The first thing you need to do is remove your battery while powered on, to clear the cache of your BB. That should raise the File Free from 0 to 4-5MB alone.

Questions

How come the internal memory cannot be managed and cleared through a utility? Most mobile phones provide software to maintain and manage - both internal memory as well as memory card content
The best utility for doing this is stated above, a battery pull reset.
More info:
1st step to take if device is having problems? - BlackBerryFAQ
How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Is the blackberry susceptible to viruses/trojans? I just have a bluetooth handsfree shakehand based connection (pre-authenticated)
No. There has never been a virus known on a BB device. Its security is one of the top selling points.

I have not connected the device to any other (apart from another Nokia E51 - which belongs to me and is clean of any viruses for sure) - then how can then how is this (no internal memory) possible
Because you need to manage your memory as stated above.

How do i clear the browser cache? (Just to check, though, i have not used the device for internet browsing as yet)
Again, above. Also, it is a simple process in your Browser > Menu > Options > Cache Operations > clear the content cache there, as well as the pushed content.

How do i get to see a breakdown of how my internal memory is being utilized ? How do i get to see - what apps are currently active and are using up memory resources?
1. Use the Search button above, to find the hundreds of times posted how to press ALT + ESCAPE (the key right of the trackball) to view the running applications in background. You will always have the call log, messages, BBMessenger, and browser running (just make certain the browser is not on an active webpage). There are few other third party apps like JiveTalk and BeamBerry that will run constantly in the background. Close others by clicking Menu and Exit or Close.

64mb. Yours may show 56 or another number IF you have some reserved device memory for pictures.

Does the blackberry allow storage / archival of Contacts, SMS, Notes on the memory card - so that the same can be stored and retrieved from the card and the internal memory is freed to give faster response time and better agility on the device?
No.

Ours here in the BBForums is!

My feedback - Stack this up with the Nokia's (E Series), PDA Smartphones (Windows Mobile 6.1 based) - and this seems to be far behind .. Or maybe i am ignorant and wrong ..
Whatever. You can use a different device if you prefer.

These problems are forcing me to do away with this device and move towards the Nokia's and the PDA Smartphones..
Enjoy.

I don't work for RIM, it is not my volunteer job to change your opinion.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran.bajaj View Post
When i check up on the settings - status option - it shows File free 0 bytes - which is ridiculous
It looks like you are not rebooting your phone at all. You should be rebooting it a couple times per week at least. Failing to do so means you *will* have problems. It's suggested that you reboot, powercycle, reset, etc. *any* wireless device every so often so this is nothing new for Blackberry devices.

You don't *have* to reboot it, but then you don't have to have it working smoothly either.

To reboot: with the device left turned on pull the back off and remove the battery. Count to 10. Put the battery back in and the back on and let it boot back up.

All that being said, I reboot mine maybe once per week or so and it's working fine.

Quote:
I have seen instances of viruses/trojans for PDA devices so I'm guessing your own device would also be open to something someone put together if someone really wanted to.

Quote:
Because you have not reset your phone recently. See above.

Quote:
Fire up the Browser and press the Menu key, select Options, then select Cache Operations and clear away.

Quote:
I do not believe there is any type of task manager available with that kind of detail on the Blackberry. You could follow the steps above to see the database sizes, but nothing that would show actual in-use-right-now memory stats. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
I believe it's 64MB?

Quote:
Not like you're thinking. There may be third-party apps that can do some of that.

Quote:
Huh? This website is searchable just fine and beats any Help you might find on the device any day.

Quote:
lol @ Windows Mobile. I used a WM device for a while and they don't come close to a Blackberry for ease of operation and functionality. But we all have our preferences.

Quote:
It's not really our job to determine your opinions for you. You have to make those up yourself.

[Edit] Ninja'ed. :P

Dave

Last edited by sgtcasey; 07-26-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
I have seen instances of viruses/trojans for PDA devices so I'm guessing your own device would also be open to something someone put together if someone really wanted to.
But just not a on a BB, yet.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
But just not a on a BB, yet.
Very true.

Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

0 bytes free! Wahoo!! Not obsurd...it happens.

You need to free up some memory bad....Use my memory optimization post in my signature. I think JSanders linked it but I'll suggest it again.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (8130 Pearl (Sprint))

As stated above, follow the memory cleaning thing in the sig/link. Post back here with your results. Successful or not.

If not, there is always the device wipe and the entire clear using JL_cmdr.
I can provide instructions for both if the above doesn't work
Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
kiran.bajaj

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Thanx for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Comments in red:
Hi Jsanders,

Thanx for the help. Sincerely appreciate it. Understood that i rubbed off a blackberry fan the wrong way.

But i still believe there maybe third party tools available - which may be an alternative to this device reboot - which needs to be done religiously.

Now the status shows 65142784 (constant obviously) - but the file free space is now 26040184. The breakdown of the utilized 39102600 - should be viewable through an option in the phone? Or are there 3rd party tools for this as well..

On bluetooth, the pairing with other phones happens - but file transfers b/w nokia and my bb phone fail (get a message "sending failed")- any reason (or is there a problem in the settings required to faciliate sending/receiving data)

In my device, the properties for the Nokia E51 bluetooth connection are - Trusted=Yes; Encryption=Disabled and the Services section has data transfer and Obex Object Push present (apart fm the usual hands free audio gateway and headset audio gateway). Any clues on this one ..

I have event tried pairing afresh (after deleting the device connection from my BB); detecting the nokia device - entering a numeric pass key at both ends. The BB gives the message pairing complete. But when i transfer the file from the nokia device to the bb (selecting the paired connection with the BB in my nokia device) - it shows connecting and then retorts "Sending failed"

Lost and hence this query

Thx & Rgds,
Kiran Bajaj.
Closed Thread