BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
davidvara

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Unhappy Is It Worth Switching To Att For Bold???

Please Login to Remove!

I am a current verizon customer and while I like their service their phone selection sux. I looked at the curve and I was not impressed. I hate the storm! Yuk! I wish they would have kept it simple and given the bold to verizon as well and I would not be in this crappy predicament? So any suggestions? I have heard so many different opinions on Veri vs ATT so I am not sure if switching is the best solution.

Please help!!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
y.bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: More bars in Less places

The Bold is the best phone I've ever used. I always loved the BlackBerry selection, and this phone is absolutely everything any BlackBerry has ever been, plus more.

But the real question for you is whether or not AT&T will work out for you. If you can part with $450-500 (cost of equipment, taxes, activation, etc.) for a little bit, I'd suggest getting the phone, sampling the network to see how it works for you (check up on their return policy first), and returning/keeping it depending on your experience. Where I'm at, Verizon barely works (which is odd considering this is one of the most desirable/growing suburbs around here), so I'm left with little choice; but personally, I wouldn't switch to Verizon even if it did work here just because I'd miss the Bold.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Mosbb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: Att

I say you will NOT regret it. Give a try for at LEAST 5 days. Update the OS to 185 or 190 (see which you like better). I had lots of auto reboots with the rom that ships with ATT. Make sure to charge the battery to full and let it die all the way down to 0. Than at night turn off the phone and charge(do this twice). Battery DOES get better this no matter what any "experts" say. Been
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I'm on my second Bold, the first one died after two days. Battery was the pits, and yes I charged it full before using. Had no problems exchanging for the second Bold. You will find some have not had a bit of trouble with it. I like the second one. I'm using .190, the original .167 that came with both did not work for me and I'm in the middle of 3G coverage in our area. Look at the other threads and see what others are saying about it, you will get lots of good information here. But the bottom line is do you want it and want to spend the money on it. Your call. My two cents.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
davidvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.bb View Post
The Bold is the best phone I've ever used. I always loved the BlackBerry selection, and this phone is absolutely everything any BlackBerry has ever been, plus more.

But the real question for you is whether or not AT&T will work out for you. If you can part with $450-500 (cost of equipment, taxes, activation, etc.) for a little bit, I'd suggest getting the phone, sampling the network to see how it works for you (check up on their return policy first), and returning/keeping it depending on your experience. Where I'm at, Verizon barely works (which is odd considering this is one of the most desirable/growing suburbs around here), so I'm left with little choice; but personally, I wouldn't switch to Verizon even if it did work here just because I'd miss the Bold.
Yea, i hear ya. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
davidvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbb View Post
I say you will NOT regret it. Give a try for at LEAST 5 days. Update the OS to 185 or 190 (see which you like better). I had lots of auto reboots with the rom that ships with ATT. Make sure to charge the battery to full and let it die all the way down to 0. Than at night turn off the phone and charge(do this twice). Battery DOES get better this no matter what any "experts" say. Been
I am sure I won't. It's just too cool of a phone! Just so use to verizon. thx
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
davidvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
I'm on my second Bold, the first one died after two days. Battery was the pits, and yes I charged it full before using. Had no problems exchanging for the second Bold. You will find some have not had a bit of trouble with it. I like the second one. I'm using .190, the original .167 that came with both did not work for me and I'm in the middle of 3G coverage in our area. Look at the other threads and see what others are saying about it, you will get lots of good information here. But the bottom line is do you want it and want to spend the money on it. Your call. My two cents.
It is expensive, but I think worth it. The big question is the switch. I can do the 30 day and if I don't like then just switch back w/o any expense. thx
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am getting one to use on Tmo soon. Can't wait!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

If you have good AT&T coverage in your area, then sure it's worth it. Especially coming from Verizon. The added benefit besides a fully functional Bold, is that you'll be on a GSM network. Want to switch your phone for a day? Easy - just pop your SIM card into the new phone and you're up and running! We phonewhores love this.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
bosco1041

PIN: 3043BBC9

Hell YA!!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Service is everything IMHO. One should never change carriers just to get a cool phone or cheaper plan, unless the new carrier has equal or better coverage than the one you are leaving - coverage where you live, work, travel and play. No cool phone or cheap plan is worth the price if you can't use them.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I was a TMO peep for 10 years and switched to AT&T for the Bold. Coverage has been excellent and I recently traveled (on the road) to Memphis and Knoxville, TN twice in the last two weeks and never had a problem with coverage, even between metro areas. AT&T coverage in Atlanta has been more than I could have asked for.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
BBHorrigan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

I think its worth it
Old 12-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
Xpimp

I wouldn't. First you should make sure the coverage meets your needs
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
JerseyMarine
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 249e97d7

I Love My Bold....BEST phone i ever had.........on At&t........love At&t.......
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

at&t gives you 30 days to try em out! so either way I don't think you'll be losing anything!! If the service doesn't work out for you, just bring it back. I have both VZW and at&t, and I'd say they both work really good. Yes VZW is a teeny tiny bit clearer, not by much at all. As a matter in fact I've been dropping calls with my VZW line as of late, go figure! But as for the BOLD, it's a great device, great features, and an unbelievable screen. Only thing I'd say that can be improved on is the battery life, but that's the price you pay for 3G!

Good Luck with you decision.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
davidvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
at&t gives you 30 days to try em out! so either way I don't think you'll be losing anything!! If the service doesn't work out for you, just bring it back. I have both VZW and at&t, and I'd say they both work really good. Yes VZW is a teeny tiny bit clearer, not by much at all. As a matter in fact I've been dropping calls with my VZW line as of late, go figure! But as for the BOLD, it's a great device, great features, and an unbelievable screen. Only thing I'd say that can be improved on is the battery life, but that's the price you pay for 3G!

Good Luck with you decision.
Thanks. I am going to get the bold! I think it is worth it. Coverage is good here in San Antonio, and so I think it's a no brainer. I probably will not sign a contract that way if it doesn't work for me (can't see why not) then I cam always switch and put the bold on Ebay.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
davidvara

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Service is everything IMHO. One should never change carriers just to get a cool phone or cheaper plan, unless the new carrier has equal or better coverage than the one you are leaving - coverage where you live, work, travel and play. No cool phone or cheap plan is worth the price if you can't use them.
Agree. I am not switching because it is the coolest phone so I agree with you on that point. But it's a great business phone and I HATE TOUCHSCREENS. Believer it or not I was actually looking froward to the storm, but after fiddling with that piece of junk for 5 minutes at a Verizon store I was convinced it is not the one for me. It may work for some who have the patience to push on the plastic cover to activate the key you want, but not for me. I have a treo and I am use to the tactile keyboard.
And the Bold definitely beats out the curve. Wish they would just make universal phones for all carriers. That would save consumers a whole lot of headache. Never have I switched because of equipment, but this time Verizon, as good as they, are leave me no choice but to abandon ship.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I left sprint for the bold and do not regret it one bit.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
cyberseal 75r

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvara View Post
I am a current verizon customer and while I like their service their phone selection sux. I looked at the curve and I was not impressed. I hate the storm! Yuk! I wish they would have kept it simple and given the bold to verizon as well and I would not be in this crappy predicament? So any suggestions? I have heard so many different opinions on Veri vs ATT so I am not sure if switching is the best solution.

Please help!!
Funny you should ask this question, as I just went through this decision myself. I had a pearl with verizon and I've been with Verizon for 5 years. I actually don't get very good broadband coverage in my house, so no wifi was a problem for me (I mean why can't I use my data services in my house where I spend a lot of time?). Anyways I thought about it for weeks and finally decided what the hell. So I've had the bold for a week now and I must say its pretty darn good. I actually get much better voice reception in my house and the wifi kicks in at home (and I get 3g reception as well).

So far I would say the network coverage, at least in my area, is just as good as Verizon. In my house its even better because I couldn't make calls in my basement on my pearl, but I can with the bold.

Worst case- you don't like the service and you can take it back. They give you a month to try it out. I'd also like to say I'm glad I didn't get the storm- lots of my friends got it and are very disappointed.
Closed Thread