Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Ok I know this is strange, but when I use my phone often I hold the device in my right hand and press the keys etc. Weird thing is that when I do this, often the back of the device feels like it moves as if it's loose.
But then when I grip the device and manipulate it to see if anything is loose I feel nothing. Am I losing my mind?

Last edited by CSO; 11-20-2008 at 11:41 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post
Am I losing my mind?
Yes you are.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
ErnieH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

My back cover is loose. Can move it a fraction in any direction and even a light touch of the release button opens the cover. A bit irritating actually.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
GoFrogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&Tingular

I just got my Bold last Friday and it felt rock solid as you mentioned. But it almost creaks if I start typing really fast (and hard I guess). I realized that the back door is connected at the top and bottom very solidly but there is no connection on the sides like on the Curve. What this does is give you a little play. Mine flexes up and down if I press on the back (looking at it like from the side). I fixed it the way I used to fix the lose doors on older blackberries by taking a buisness card, cutting it to size, and placing in there. Now it is a rock even when typing fast. The OCD side me is still frustrated that I had to do that. Also, there is still a little creak/play in the top part because the camera doesn't let me put my card up there. It isn't an issue because I don't type on the top part.

This is a very small issue and not a build quality issue. I'm just retentive and want it to feel like a brick. You don't notice this at all unless you are typing rather hard and fast and towards the edges where you need to brace your fingers against the back cover edge.

Last edited by GoFrogs; 11-21-2008 at 09:03 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
masonfoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW021979 View Post
Yes you are.
Actually, he's not. The back cover, unfortunately, has some play in it thereby contributing to a "cheap" feel. I at first thought my experience with this was the result of the AT&T store rep "forcing" the back cover open when she took it out of the box without initially realizing there is a release mechanism on the bottom of the phone. Thereby "loosening" the latch/hinge such that there is some "give" in the back cover. Now that I've read several reports that others are experiencing this as well, it simply could be a minor "flaw".

I initially mitigated this by following a suggestion from a BBForums community member to fold a piece of paper and place it between the battery and the back cover to create some extra tension to hold it in place better. I did do this with a business card folded in half. This seemed to work for the most part. I have since purchased and put the Bold in a skin and this seems to help for the most part. However, there are times, certainly not as frequently as I first experienced, that I will feel a slight "shift" when I begin to type on the keyboard.

Certainly not a deal breaker but a bit surprised that a $300 phone presents this to me within minutes of my purchase. I've gotten over it as the Bold is simply light-years beyond my 8700g and the Bold has not left my side since I purchased it on November 4th. VERY HAPPY with the purchase and look forward to at least another two years with it.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
masonfoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFrogs View Post
I just got my Bold last Friday and it felt rock solid as you mentioned. But it almost creaks if I start typing really fast (and hard I guess). I realized that the back door is connected at the top and bottom very solidly but there is no connection on the sides like on the Curve. What this does is give you a little play. Mine flexes up and down if I press on the back (looking at it like from the side). I fixed it the way I used to fix the lose doors on older blackberries by taking a buisness card, cutting it to size, and placing in there. Now it is a rock even when typing fast. The OCD side me is still frustrated that I had to do that. Also, there is still a little creak/play in the top part because the camera doesn't let me put my card up there. It isn't an issue because I don't type on the top part.

This is a very small issue and not a build quality issue. I'm just retentive and want it to feel like a brick. You don't notice this at all unless you are typing rather hard and fast and towards the edges where you need to brace your fingers against the back cover edge.
Exactly my experience and I feel no one should have to apologize for having this expectation of quality. Minor...but noticeable and eventually, OCD or not, you get "used to it". At least I have.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

I don't why RIM doesn't fix this. It seems most devices need the business card trick as does my bold. I have noticed that on a lot of the second generation series that a peice of rubber will be installed to resolve this. 8100 needed a card and when I saw the 8130 it had the rubber installed.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 11-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: N/A

tried the business card suggestion; fixed the problem. Thanks!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
ErnieH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

I've always used a business card too. Aside from firming up the battery cover I thought it might help with a lost phone - but no such luck when I left my Pearl on a plane.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
JW021979

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

My Bold is over 2 months old and the SIM gets chnged regularly so the battery cover is taken off a lot but still feels solid with no movement.