BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
sunnyyan1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO
Angry Face book installed on my 8320 TMO without permission?

Please Login to Remove!

Very weird, a face book icon showed up on my TMO 8320, i never use fact book and never installed face book application on my 8320. Not sure how this go into my BB without my permission? Even worse, there is no way to uninstall this since it's not one of visible applications.

Anyone else has the same problem? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Check your servicebooks - if you see a facebook servicebook listed go ahead and delete it.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8320: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/230; U; en))

If you delete it it may come back on its own. Best option is to just hide the icon.

The application itself is not installed automatically. Clicking on the icon will walk you through that.

Dave
Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ya the insallation icon is part of tmo curve service books... Best bet is to just hide the icon
Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

So there's no way to delete it? Oh selfish! Golly :(
Old 01-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #6
nmadd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy
So there's no way to delete it? Oh selfish! Golly :(
You can delete it by deleting the service book as mentioned but it will reappear the next time the books are pushed to youe device.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

So it sounds like it is T-Mo who is pushing these icons to your device.

Bad T-Mo!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
blade28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Yeah, wish things wouldn't always come with pre-installed junk like this (like PCs and their pre-installed software).
Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
ltj13

I dont think that its actually installed... I think you can use the icon to set up facebook... Its either a browser link or an install file... Im not sure which... Just hide the icon and forget about it... Like it was said previously deleting the service book will only get rid of it for a little while..
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
DaBlack

PIN: Ask Yo Mama!!! LOL

Got that icon a month ago and all I did was delete it. It will come back and I will just delete it again.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
ajm

PIN: N/A

Yes, I was also disappointed to see this icon, but the application is not actually installed on your blackberry. The icon is simply a browser link to installation instructions available on Blackberry's web site.

Until T-Mo starts pushing more links to my device I don't really consider it to be nearly as bad as what carriers do to most phones. I just hide the icon and move on. If you are really peeved then complain to customer service; if enough people complain then they may be reluctant to do it ever again.

It was pushed to your device by a service book so you cannot just delete the icon and you cannot just delete the service book. Hide it instead.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
sgtcasey

Actually, RIM is pushing the icon to your device. T-Mobile is just a path to the RIM servers.

RIM + Facebook = Social BlackBerry Smartphones

Dave
Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Ideally, what would be nice is a newer version of BIS - even if you're using BES - to be able to login, and specifically NOT Permit Service Books (certain ones) to be pushed to your PIN. Now, of course critical service books/core service books cannot be 'de-selected' by the end user > but this would be a nice addition.

What do all think?!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Actually, RIM is pushing the icon to your device. T-Mobile is just a path to the RIM servers.

RIM + Facebook = Social BlackBerry Smartphones

Dave
Uhh, technically correct, but T-Mobile isn't an innocent 3rd party in all this! I sure haven't seen the icon/service book show up on my AT&T Curve yet. T-Mobile has to agree and give permission and be involved before RIM will push anything to your BB.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

What is facebook and why don't you just use it?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
zGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
What is facebook and why don't you just use it?
Facebook is a "social utility that connects you with the people around you." Sorta like like MYSpace but more a community-oriented social hub. For me it is a useless thing since I really don't have time for it. Question is why RIM/T-Mo are micromanaging a devise we paid for? Not very nice in my opinion
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
sgtcasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
Facebook is a "social utility that connects you with the people around you." Sorta like like MYSpace but more a community-oriented social hub. For me it is a useless thing since I really don't have time for it. Question is why RIM/T-Mo are micromanaging a devise we paid for? Not very nice in my opinion
Facebook is just another application that you can choose to use or not. Like BB Maps. Or the IM clients. I'm sure a number of people will probably find the Facebook application very useful while others will not. Just like BB Maps. Or the IM clients.

I doubt if the icon takes up much space in memory and the main application is not installed by default (like BB Maps or the IM clients) so for the folks who decide not to use it all they need do is hide the icon if it bothers them enough unlike some of the other applications which would need to be uninstalled. Like they would need to do with BB Maps or the IM clients.

Dave
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
zGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Facebook is just another application that you can choose to use or not. Like BB Maps. Or the IM clients. I'm sure a number of people will probably find the Facebook application very useful while others will not. Just like BB Maps. Or the IM clients.

I doubt if the icon takes up much space in memory and the main application is not installed by default (like BB Maps or the IM clients) so for the folks who decide not to use it all they need do is hide the icon if it bothers them enough unlike some of the other applications which would need to be uninstalled. Like they would need to do with BB Maps or the IM clients.

Dave
I understand Dave. But the way I look at my Curve is purely selfish: I paid for it ~ and it's my entity. If I choose to add icons (whether they take space or not isn't an issue) I will. RIM shouldn't make that decision for me; they can certainly advise me to do that.
Sure, many PCs and Macs are preloaded with junk, but -- for the most part -- they can be deleted; the Facebook icon on my Curve can't be deleted permanently. It isn't fair in its principality. My 2 cents anyhow

Last edited by zGuy; 01-16-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #19
Yoryie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
I paid for it ~ and it's my entity. If I choose to add icons (whether they take space or not isn't an issue) I will. RIM shouldn't make that decision for me; they can certainly advise me to do that.
Sure, many PCs and Macs are preloaded with junk, but -- for the most part -- they can be deleted; the Facebook icon on my Curve can't be deleted permanently. It isn't fair in its principality. My 2 cents anyhow
I agree with you 100%, I feel the same. Had my curve been a gift from RIM or if T-Mobile pays my monthly bill, I would not mind the darn icon. Otherwise, it should be my choice.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
snowcrash

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Really? I mean come on now, Really?

It REALLY bothers people that bad that you cant just click "hide"? Or is this just another "well I have to complain about something"

I mean how OCD are people these days? I dont use it and could care less if something new just appeared on Curve. I actually think its kind of cool. My AT&T Curve came with so much crap on it, it made me sick. Some ATT store, theme store, music store, musicID thing, games store, etc etc. Maybe like 8 or 10 USELESS "we want more money" apps. To me that is WAY worse then a cool new app that many people WILL find usefull and if not JUST HIDE IT and MOVE ON! So what I did is i dropped them all into a "Useless ATT Stuff" folder and hid the folder. I really dont think a FREE app to a social network being pushed to your phone is that big of a deal.

I mean really, you hide the icon and move on. And you all know if it was an app you liked and were going to use everyone would be like "Wow I woke up this morning and this great useful app icon was on my screen, I clicked it and what a great program, I think its so cool that RIM can send out little icons like that for us"

Last edited by snowcrash; 01-24-2008 at 12:59 AM..
Closed Thread