Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
That it does! :(

I wonder if PocketMac, instead of fixing the "broken" Intel version, is working with RIM on a whole new version (from the ground up) that will be Universal?

I can only imagine that RIM had a few things to say about how the old version of PocketMac looked and functioned. ;)
Yeah this makes sense to me... just get it out already
Old 04-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #22
rubicon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Yesterday, Mark from Pocket Mac support told me version 4 is due out in 3 to 4 weeks. However, they told me something similar 8 months ago. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by rubicon; 04-13-2006 at 10:36 PM..
Old 04-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #23
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

I was a solild Mac user for 5 years and these days I'm paid to work with Windows so I use a PC now. Based on that I can see life from both sides of the fence. What I will say is since becoming a true Windows user over the last few years (I still use a powerbook G4 for some bits and pieces) I can't believe I allowed myself to be secluded for so long while my Windows peers were getting this software and that software and doing all the cool stuff you either couldn't do on a Mac, or could do if you were willing to pay through the nose for it. It's a shame it's still that way but at the end of the day the majority of the world uses Windows and it's a natural side effect that less commonly used operating systems will always be considered later in the day.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #24
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

I don't care if 99% of Earth uses PC, it will be a cold day in hell when I trade in my Mac for one.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #25
trstack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Have you tried GroupCal 3.15? It works with Tiger now. If you're on BES it will sync Outlook/BES to iCal. Since Outlook is already sync'd to your BB, you're there.

www.snerdware.com
Old 04-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #26
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
I don't care if 99% of Earth uses PC, it will be a cold day in hell when I trade in my Mac for one.
I have to agree with you there. As a person who has, and have used, both OSes, OS X is by far superior. This is not to say that BBAdmin is wrong, s/he's not. But, just because 95% of the world uses something doesn't make it better. In fact, that usually makes it worse (it creates more of a 'take what I give you' attitude).

Mac OS X is just a smartly designed, well thought out, intuitve OS. This is partly because Apple controls both the hardware and software (though, not as much anymore) and because they choose to distance themselves from their past which may not be right for the future (think OS 9 to OS X). Windows, on the other hand, is so afraid to break the backwards-compatibilty chain that they will never be as innovative. They are stuck in this situation *because* they are the dominate force in the marketplace. They need to maintain compatibility as to not upset the masses.

These thoughts however are a tangent to the orginal reason for this post which, of course, is to find another way to sync a bberry with a Mac!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #27
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I am a Mac user but refuse to load XP onto my Mac via Boot Camp. That being said my other desktop is a windows machine and I use that PC to sync my BlackBerry, other than that I never use it as I am very much into my new iMac.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 04-14-2006 at 08:11 PM..
Old 04-16-2006, 12:40 AM   #28
dmoffitt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I understand why BB / RIM is so "secure" for the uber-security-conscious government and business users - but for those of us who are in the creative industry, the level of security doesn't need to be "Matt Damon working for the CIA in Iran / SYRIANA" - I'd be totally fine if they (RIM) could give me a slightly-less-secure OS/Firmware that would enable OBEX profiles, fix the fact that it won't charge on most devices simply by plugging it in (wtf, why do I need a mac DRIVER to CHARGE?!?!) and generally allowed more functionality at a SMALL risk increase security wise. There's been so much talk of a "Blackberry Personal" with a camera, I'll pass on that, I am a business user too, but I hate having my hands tied like this. As I said in the other intel/pocketmac thread, it kills me that RIM licensed a copy of Pocket Mac for us, rather than, you know, developing their own solution or making it work w/ standards like SyncML / iSync, etc... :( It seems a cheap / shortcut / lazy way, I've never liked P-M despite buying it, and would be SO glad to be rid of it, esp. since I was one of the idiots who paid for it earlier, and now it won't even WORK on my MacBook :(

EDIT: This is why my coworker went back to his RAZR and my good friend / IT pro / mac user bought a T-Mo MDA. He's not thrilled with it vs his old 7100 but at least it WORKS.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #29
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

What is your friend using to sync his MDA with his Mac?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:49 AM   #30
dmoffitt

he doesnt. it charges via USB w/o drivers though ;)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #31
darwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
What is your friend using to sync his MDA with his Mac?
I am said friend, and no... I am unable to sync my MDA with my intel-mac. It does, however, actually charge, unlike my 7100t

I have given up syncing my phones with my primary computer (MBP) that contains all of my contacts, calendars, etc. because Pocketmac has had their hands down their pants for the last 4 months without giving us ANYTHING. As one of the people who actuall PURCHASED the software, I am pissed.

At this point, I'm working with a 4 month old address book, no calendar support, and having to use my PC to sync.

MDA vs. BB.... for messaging.... BB wins. With any luck, T-mo will be offering the 8700 this week so I can go back to the light side and return this POS WinMo device.

Last edited by darwin; 04-17-2006 at 01:03 AM..
Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #32
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Dowloading Boot Camp is not a solution for Mac users using Blackberrys.

RIM's half-assed support for the Mac is not a solution (IAA Pocketmac for Blackberry)

No Mac support would have been better for both RIM and its Mac customers. RIM PR'ing for 2 years that Blackberry has a sync solution for Mac, BUT come to find out the solution is half-assed and the 3rd party company RIM rely's on for the Mac sync support app seems to think its ok to have a broken app going on for 4 months now.

All this time we thought the Blackberry was THE businessman's smartphone.

It sucks for RIM, its not really their fault, its a bad, not well thought out situation. Sadly IAA's screwups make RIM look bad in Mac users eyes. RIM making a quality Mac support solution in house seems to be the way to go forward.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #33
toddz

Model: 9700

Personally as a Mac user, I realize that there are simply some things that will not be easy and one of them is the integration of thrid party hardware with the Mac. I try and just move on and find ways around it. In the case of my BlackBerry, I just sync with my work PC and then with my Mac. All the changes have to be done first on the PC or BlackBerry and then transfer to my Mac. Of course, this doesn't help those with the latest and greatest Mac but I have always waited for Apple to iron out the kinks before I go ahead and get the best. It is just a fact that Apple loves to break all the older applicaitons when moving forward. They did it with X.1, X.2, X.3, and X.4 the only difference this time is that it is the hardware. You just have to learn to love Apple and love to wait. A wise person once told me that if you see a line, get in it because you will eventually need to be wherever it leads.

toddz
Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #34
CanuckMakem

ITS HERE!!!!!

http://www.pocketmac.net/versionxml/BlackBerry.html
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #35
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Awesome! Absolutely no problems syncing my 7130e address book w/ "AddressBook"!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #36
CanuckMakem

Yeah it works great... now I can FINALLY ditch my PC @ work and get that Mac Mini :D
Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #37
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philton
That is one of the biggest reasons I stay with Windows.....
that is one down fall, i can think of tons not to us windows. i am not a MS hater i work on them every day and probably use them just as much as any one else. but from a technicla stand point the OS is much better build. And i have been testing a bata of vista and apple has nothing to worry about.
gates=better business
jobs= better product
I will say this to just about every thing but the playing field is getting closer in MS defence
Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #38
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Hasn't Apple always been the better product? Apple sets the standard for MP3 players, Computer design and well OS stability... IN my opinion of course. I just wish that Apple would step up to the plate and natively play with RIM
Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #39
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Apple doesn't need to step up to the plate, RIM needs to use industry sync standards, RIM also needs to give mac users a proper in-house designed and supported app which functions the same or better than the windoz blackberry desktop app.
Closed Thread