Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
juanluisperu

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Claro Peru
Default Blackberry vs iPhone 3G - The List

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I'm a big Blackberry fan currently using a Pearl.

At my work, the company is trying to do a major phone upgrade for all managing positions (about 60 phones) and they want to get as high-tech as possible. Until now, all they use was regular cellphone, no smartphones.

Some Managers are suggesting the iPhone but my department is suggesting the BB. I want to come up with a list of reasons why the BlackBerry should be the way to go. I found this list online and I am posting it, I'd like your help to add more to this list so I could include in my report.

THE LIST (thanx to tomstechblog.com)

-Blackberry has had GPS for years and the iPhone still doesn't offer turn-by-turn directions which, again, has been in the Blackberry for years.

-Blackberry supports cut and paste which is a big thing when you are trying to do business on the road and interact with two different colleagues about the same issue (or any number of other scenarios for that matter)

-Blackberry has a built in "To Do List/Task Manager" application that syncs with Exchange. iPhone does not.

-Battery life is much better on pretty much any Blackberry and that is of the utmost importance for a business user

-Blackberry's come with REMOVABLE BATTERIES. Most business people I know carry around a spare.

-Blackberry supports MMS (which I would assume is of almost no use to business users but still deserves a mention)

-Blackberry's support Video recording

-Almost all Blackberry's have better cameras (same 2 MP but with 5x Zoom)

-Almost all Blackberry's come with MicroSD slots

-Blackberry's sync technology is more mature. Assuming the iPhone is using ActiveSync which is licensed from Microsoft I can personally attest to the Blackberry having better sync capabilities.

-Blackberry has an excellent search function (which is paticularly good at searching through e-mail but can search the whole device if you need it). iPhone has none.

-Blackberry's support voice dialing, iPhones do not (though I've never been a fan of the feature)

-Blackberry's allow you to record quick voice notes, the iPhone doesn't (very important to a lot of business users)

-iPhone's bluetooth capabilities are crippled by Apple so that you can only use an ear piece. Blackberry can use any Bluetooth device and supports stereo sound

-Blackberry's can be used as a tethered 3G Modem for a laptop, the iPhone can not

-Blackberry is easier to use as a phone (iPhone takes several screen clicks to get to Spearker for example while Blackberry has one hardware button)
From what I can tell, the iPhone can't be locked down by administrators in the same way a Blackberry can

-The iPhone offers nothing (enterprise feature wise) above and beyond what a Blackberry can do. Organizations with a Blackberry infrastructure already paid for aren't going to switch to something that doesn't improve on anything just to use iPhones (believe it or not most companies would prefer their employees not have great web access on the road)

-Most Blackberry users use their phone for e-mail 95% of the time and the iPhone's soft keyboard is vastly inferior to every Blackberry I've ever seen.

-unless you purposely choose to turn the feature off the Blackberry alarm will sound even if the phone is turned off. For a business person using their phone as their alarm clock that sort of thing matters and little things like that are what make the Blackberry better suited for business users.
" Why do they sterilize the needles for lethal injection? "
Old 06-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

There were several reports yesterday from the bloggers that there is NO tethering with the iPhone. You can use your BB as a 'modem' for your laptop should you need a connection away from wired or wireless internet access.

IPhone 3G: No Tethering for iPhone 3G
No tethering for iPhone 3G - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
CrunchGear » Archive » No tethering options for new iPhone

Last edited by fonejunkie; 06-15-2008 at 10:10 AM..
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
There were several reports yesterday from the bloggers that there is NO tethering with the iPhone. You can use your BB as a 'modem' for your laptop should you need a connection away from wired or wireless internet access.

IPhone 3G: No Tethering for iPhone 3G
No tethering for iPhone 3G - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
CrunchGear » Archive » No tethering options for new iPhone
Not a technical problem, but a political one. I'm sure they are just looking for a way to charge for it.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanluisperu View Post

At my work, the company is trying to do a major phone upgrade for all managing positions (about 60 phones) and they want to get as high-tech as possible. Until now, all they use was regular cellphone, no smartphones.

Some Managers are suggesting the iPhone but my department is suggesting the BB. I want to come up with a list of reasons why the BlackBerry should be the way to go. I found this list online and I am posting it, I'd like your help to add more to this list so I could include in my report.

-Blackberry has had GPS for years and the iPhone still doesn't offer turn-by-turn directions which, again, has been in the Blackberry for years.

-Blackberry supports cut and paste which is a big thing when you are trying to do business on the road and interact with two different colleagues about the same issue (or any number of other scenarios for that matter)

-Blackberry has a built in "To Do List/Task Manager" application that syncs with Exchange. iPhone does not.

-Battery life is much better on pretty much any Blackberry and that is of the utmost importance for a business user

-Blackberry's come with REMOVABLE BATTERIES. Most business people I know carry around a spare.

-Blackberry supports MMS (which I would assume is of almost no use to business users but still deserves a mention)

-Blackberry's sync technology is more mature. Assuming the iPhone is using ActiveSync which is licensed from Microsoft I can personally attest to the Blackberry having better sync capabilities.

-Blackberry has an excellent search function (which is paticularly good at searching through e-mail but can search the whole device if you need it). iPhone has none.

-Blackberry's support voice dialing, iPhones do not (though I've never been a fan of the feature)

-Blackberry's allow you to record quick voice notes, the iPhone doesn't (very important to a lot of business users)

-iPhone's bluetooth capabilities are crippled by Apple so that you can only use an ear piece. Blackberry can use any Bluetooth device and supports stereo sound

-Blackberry's can be used as a tethered 3G Modem for a laptop, the iPhone can not

-Blackberry is easier to use as a phone (iPhone takes several screen clicks to get to Spearker for example while Blackberry has one hardware button)
From what I can tell, the iPhone can't be locked down by administrators in the same way a Blackberry can

-The iPhone offers nothing (enterprise feature wise) above and beyond what a Blackberry can do. Organizations with a Blackberry infrastructure already paid for aren't going to switch to something that doesn't improve on anything just to use iPhones (believe it or not most companies would prefer their employees not have great web access on the road)

-Most Blackberry users use their phone for e-mail 95% of the time and the iPhone's soft keyboard is vastly inferior to every Blackberry I've ever seen.

-unless you purposely choose to turn the feature off the Blackberry alarm will sound even if the phone is turned off. For a business person using their phone as their alarm clock that sort of thing matters and little things like that are what make the Blackberry better suited for business users.
If that list makes you feel good about using a BB then that's great. People [fanboys] that make these kind of lists are just looking for reason to justify their product decision. Most people simply use what is best for them and don't require someone else's list to do it.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 06-15-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

there are pros and cons to both devices

lets not turn this into a bashfest please

if you have info pertaining to the OPS request by all means post

we have enough heated debate between these devices here already
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Not a technical problem, but a political one. I'm sure they are just looking for a way to charge for it.
I didn't intend my post as a part of a 'bashfest'... simply stating the fact that as currently outlined, there will be no tethering for the iPhone. Had my company not provided a EVDO connection for my laptop, that would be a big deal in my decision.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:

all blackberry's have hardly any memory space for applications.

Watch as the iPhone software out-classes the BB. Sorry, but all of this doesn't compare to the quality of software, to which you are about to witness.

Alex Alexzander
Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
icecold

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry smartphones don't have memory for apps? Try an 8330.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
all blackberry's have hardly any memory space for applications.

Watch as the iPhone software out-classes the BB. Sorry, but all of this doesn't compare to the quality of software, to which you are about to witness.

Alex Alexzander
I have never had a memory issue, even on the pearl. So please dont bash all devices because its just untrue. Yes some people have problems but it is not an overall testiment to the devices.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

i'mma be over here in the corner with a bag of popcorn as the drama created by people not reading the OP's post fully turns this into a flamefest of fanboyism and ignorance.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

to the OP I think you have a fairly complete list good luck with the study.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Azurelimits
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

I would have to add you need to compare typing on each device side by side. The touchscreen keypad is pretty hard to type on.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
heffman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

...i've never been a huge fan of the virtual keyboard. like the tactile feel of BBs, letting me know i've hit the key i want.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

You will come across some push back on some of these points, so I am going to add some comments that people that either have or have seen an iPhone or an iPod Touch will come back at you with.

Quote:
So what. I have GPS in my car. When I am out of town the cabbie knows where I am going. That screen is too small to use as anything more than an emergency GPS device.

Quote:
No big deal at all. Task lists are over rated (my real opinion on this) anyway. I use Jott to record voice notes. They send me a highly accurate transcription of the note. Jott has a lot of users and more come on every day. They aren't the only player in the quicky voice note game.

Quote:

Before I gave it to my daughter I ran my iPhone for several weeks. Battery life was no issue for me at all. It lasted longer under heavy use, than my current Pearl. It was really no contest.

Now a spare battery is a nice advantage, but wall warts are about $20 and anyone that actually WANTS an iPhone is willing to toss one in their computer bag.

Quote:

None of these points are going to matter much to anyone in a business setting. MMS and video recording are nice in a pinch but not a feature on anyone's must have list in business.

As camera's go, that 5x zoom is totally useless. If I use the zoom on my BB at all the image becomes so low resolution and pixelated that you can actually see how bad the image looks on my Pearl screen. At full zoom on both devices this is a toss up and not something that you would want to use as an advantage for the BB.

Quote:
This is not a fight that you will want to get in to. An iPhone wanter will say, "yes, it does have an SD slot but it needs it. My iPhone has 8 (16) GB of space. Even with an SD a BB is limited to 4GB.

This is actually important to a lot of people because I can email myself Office files and actually use my iPod Touch to view them. The screen is large enough that in a pinch I can use it to make a presentation to a client.

It is also much better for showing image galleries (I am in the picture business so this one is very key for me) and video clips.

Storage space is one that I might let lie.

Quote:
This one, IMHO, is just YOUR opinion and one that a lot of people will take issue with. I have had both and currently have an iPod Touch. I have no issues at all using the keyboard on the Touch. Do I pen long emails with it? Not unless I have to, but the exact same can be said for my BB as well. I can type faster on the Touch than I can the Pearl.

As far as the email use itself goes, the iPhone BLOWS any BB out of the water. Inline image viewing, HTML links formed properly, real Office file viewing. I HATE using my BB for email and if I am at one of my Wi-Fi routers I use the Touch for email because it is so much nicer to read and respond to email on.

Wanters will also bring up the browser. Again, this isn't a contest at all. At all. The iPhone destroys the BB in this area. Not as huge a deal for business use, but I would say that more people would be inclined to want the iPhone browser over the BB GPS.

The biggest reason IMHO to push back on the iPhone is that it is limited to AT&T's very sparse network. Had I been able to use email, browser and the phone in the majority of places that I go I would have kept mine. Where I am, Verizon gets me service almost everywhere that I go where as AT&T is NOT in almost every place that I go.

If AT&T coverage is weak in your area I would bring it up.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
BlackBerry smartphones don't have memory for apps? Try an 8330.
So you are saying the memory space for the blackberry is comparable to that of the iPhone?

I had the Oxford dictionary on my blackberry and that one app, took such a large amount of memory, 11 MBs, that there was hardly anything left for other apps. And we all know the BB starts to act funny if you don't have at least 6 MB, better to have 11 MBs completely free.

If you wish to list strengths of the BlackBerry, at least be willing to accept its shortcomings as well.

The iPhone memory space for applications is far superior. Just admit reality. To gloss over faults just shows how one-sided this list actually is.

Alex
Closed Thread