Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
puzzle-man
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs down Two email accounts in separate mailboxes

Please Login to Remove!

I currently have my 8300 set up to receive company email. The IT people here at work set the phone up for me and everything is fine. The work IT people do not want to set up my personal email. Here are my goals for personal email:

1. Receive email sent to my personal email account but also leave the mail on the POP3 server so when I get home it is still there.

2. Have separate mailboxes on the phone for work and home email. i.e. work email goes to one box and personal email goes to another.

3. It would really be nice to have separate contact lists for each mailbox also.

4. Depending on which mailbox I am using have the correct from email address associated with out-going emails.

Is all of the above possible on an 8300? If so how do I go about setting it up? How do I switch between the two mailboxes?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bill
Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
pdone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I'd think long and hard about putting your personal email on the device if the IT department doesn't want you to. That can be cause for termination.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

All that is possible, not easy, but possible. And you didn't ask if it was going to be easy. You will also need a third party application call Empower BES Mailbox to remove the BES mail from your main message folder to another.

But as stated above, first, think long and hard about it. As long as there is NOTHING in your personal email you want read in your company, you won't mind.

If you still want details on your prospective setup, post back here.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

All other issues aside. You need a BIS account. That will let you access your IMAP or POP mail. You can run BES and BIS on the same phone.

I do the very thing that you want to do - I have personal and work e-mail on my phone - however, I am allowed to do it.

You could probably set up a BIS acct. for free through your phone's provider.

However you are using data that your company is paying for. So be careful.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
puzzle-man
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs down I need to better understand

Hi all,

I need to better understand the comment "your company is paying for your data". I pay for the cell phone not the company (they reimburse me $50 a month for their part of my usage). The phone is in my name etc.

I figured I did the company a favor by having my work email sent to my personal phone...... What it really lets me is keep track of what is happening when I'm not at work.

So, what is the company paying for?

My IT department did not tell me I could not put my personal email on the phone they just didn't want to do it for me. They did set the phone up to receive company email. For the personal email access I would have been using company IT time for a personal project if they had set up my personal account. I can understand that they did not want to do it.

So, with all of that said how do I go about this or is it so much trouble that I'll never get there as a non IT person?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Well that's a different situation. Just log into your carrier's Backberry page and configure your other e-mail acct. in BIS. Surprised they didn't tell you how to do that when you bought the phone.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzle-man View Post
Hi all,

I need to better understand the comment "your company is paying for your data". I pay for the cell phone not the company (they reimburse me $50 a month for their part of my usage). The phone is in my name etc.

I figured I did the company a favor by having my work email sent to my personal phone...... What it really lets me is keep track of what is happening when I'm not at work.

So, what is the company paying for?

My IT department did not tell me I could not put my personal email on the phone they just didn't want to do it for me. They did set the phone up to receive company email. For the personal email access I would have been using company IT time for a personal project if they had set up my personal account. I can understand that they did not want to do it.

So, with all of that said how do I go about this or is it so much trouble that I'll never get there as a non IT person?

Thanks,

Bill
keep in mind ANYTHING done on that device can be monitored on the BES, and they can choose to disable ANY feature on that phone.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

There is a free application of logicmail which would add the ability to get private emails onto your blackberry. Check it out: LogicMail for BlackBerry - Trac
Closed Thread