Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
kittyhawk

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default News reporter looking for Illinois BB users/drivers

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I'm a Chicago-based reporter for a national news organization, and I'm working on a story about the ban on texting-while-driving that goes into effect in Illinois on Jan. 1. I'm hoping to interview Illinois residents about the law to see what you think. Do you text/surf the web while driving? Why or why not? Will the new law make you stop? What do you think of the new law?

Please message me if you're willing to be interviewed.

Thanks for your help. My deadline is about 4 pm Central time Tuesday, Dec. 29.

Take care,
Karen
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
RichKerr

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile
Default No Texting While Driving!

I think the law is a good move. The temptation to text, browse the web & check e-mail while behind the wheel is strong. I see a lot of distracted drivers on their smart phones in traffic. It's back to basics... keep your eyes on the road!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

There are already too many people that shouldn't be driving in the first place. One less thing to distract them from the road is a good thing.

...but Daley's driver... I'd let him drive blindfolded whils handciuffed from behind.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Don't live in IL, but I used to. I think its a great law. Should go nationwide with it, and also the requirement for handsfree cell phone use.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Texting while driving is stupid. But do they really need to outlaw stupidity? Shouldn't we just let nature take care of the idiots?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Unfortunately some smart ones are taken out by the stooopid ones.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Unfortunately some smart ones are taken out by the stooopid ones.
Unfortunately, that is true.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

I live outside chicago in northwest indiana.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

I live in a northern suburb of Chicago; commute to work via car a few days a week. I am in a car a LOT during the weekends. I have texted while driving in the past and had a close call about 3 months ago because of it. Since that time, I have nearly... honestly.. nearly... entirely stopped texting while behind the wheel. I typically now only pick up my device when i am stopped at a traffic light. I am working on it. I use DriveSafe.ly but seriously... I just have to remember that no email/text is that important that it cannot wait.

I fully support the law but riddle me this... what about the number of folks I see fiddling with their gps devices or their ipods while driving? Is that part of the law?

The other issue I have is about enforcement. You know, we have a law in Chicago (Cook county) prohibiting phone use -without an earpiece- while driving. I have witnessed many, many folks yakking away at slow speeds, high speeds... and it seems to be on the rise. I don't see how will the local jandarm jump on this new law when the current law seems to be unenforced.
Just my 14 cents.
thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
gjminer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: The Cloud
Default not a good law

Not a good law

What about the people who drive with the visor down putting on make-up?
The drivers who have just merged onto the hwy and do 3 to 4 lan change just to get in the far left lane and go below the speed limit. They dont follow that law of being to slow in the Left lane and they are to move to the right.

I drive 70 miles a day from the burbs to downtown Chicago
Texting is not and issue. Many more bad driving habits need to be addressed before the texting. Like people that cant wait for a red light and must drive 30 mph through a parking lot to turn right instead of waiting for the light! My pet peeve!

So the text is a bull crap law. Lets re-educate the drivers when they get tested for their drivers license that if you put on a turn signal to get over doesnt mean we have to let you in if you are going slower then my lane is and you close your eyes and come over anyway making other car drivers lock up the brakes and cause traffic jams.

Oh I can go on and on.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

It's not bull crap. Just because driver's are doing other unsafe things on the road doesn't mean that a law preventing one of those things should not be in place because other's are not being enforced.

It still causes accidents, your only focus should be on the road and those around you.

Ridiculous.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Jenks Woodman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

I believe this is a good law. Blackberry and the phone companies could help out by establishing separate voice mails or automatic responses to emails/text messages. When you get in the vehicle, change the profile to - Driving. An auto reply goes out saying you are driving and will respond when it is safe to do so.

www.deansworkshop.net
Old 12-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjminer View Post
Not a good law

What about the people who drive with the visor down putting on make-up?
The drivers who have just merged onto the hwy and do 3 to 4 lan change just to get in the far left lane and go below the speed limit. They dont follow that law of being to slow in the Left lane and they are to move to the right.

I drive 70 miles a day from the burbs to downtown Chicago
Texting is not and issue. Many more bad driving habits need to be addressed before the texting. Like people that cant wait for a red light and must drive 30 mph through a parking lot to turn right instead of waiting for the light! My pet peeve!

So the text is a bull crap law. Lets re-educate the drivers when they get tested for their drivers license that if you put on a turn signal to get over doesnt mean we have to let you in if you are going slower then my lane is and you close your eyes and come over anyway making other car drivers lock up the brakes and cause traffic jams.

Oh I can go on and on.
I don't disagree that there are many bad habits that need to be addressed. But that really isn't the point now is it. The OP asked about the PENDING L-A-W that will be irrevocably take effect in January. I think that it isn't the end-all/be-all for Illinois driver's ills but it certainly helps. Texting may not be an issue for you but clearly there is evidence to suggest it is problematic for others. This article addresses the notion that texting while driving may in fact be more dangerous than drunk driving.

Now I don't like the way IL is run; the current administration/system of governance is aggregiously flawed.... and I am NEVER in favor or more laws/increased loss of individual rights. (Jefferson put it best: "I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive"). But... this tiny bit of energetic government is one that I fully support.
Closed Thread