BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

there is no such thing as T9 on a blackberry. Suretype is a system that was based off T9 but has grown into something different completely. Have you done a software update on your device?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #42
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne

I was talking about my Nokia ;)
I switched over to my Nokia 5300 to get all my texts to send. I haven't switched back, so I am fighting with T9 and a normal touch tone number pad...

It's SOOOO hard to switch back... after only a month and a half of being on my pearl!

And I am on 4.2.1.107 on my pearl. I didn't do .109 because I didn't see the point, from what I read the only difference was languages... and since I speak only english... what would be the point? Especially when I went and did JCs optimize thread and deleted all other languages anyway

Last edited by mizditz101; 03-21-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #43
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

lol usually takes about 2 weeks for the addiction to be complete. nokia does has some VERY unique cell phone designs though, very strange when compared to mainstream designs.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #44
mizditz101

Ya know.. even now my nokia is very top 2nd to my pearl...
I have yet to see another phone I cannot break within 3 months ;)

I mean, technically I seem to have "broken" my pearl as well... I threw this 5300 and other brick nokias from the early 2000's, and still have them with no need to replace... They work just as well as the day they came out of the box, and sadly... still look the same (even after one got thrown down 32 cement stairs outside of my junior high in 7th grade)
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #45
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

you seem to be... harsh on your phones.. you may want to try a phone rated for military specs for shock
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #46
mizditz101

HAHAHAH
Like that HUGE phone verizon had that looked like I could go deep sea diving with it?! Yeahhhhh I know =)

LG and Verizon both hate hearing my name and seeing my face.
I can tell ya right now
nokia I had - never replaced
another nokia - never replaced
Samsung x427m - grandma still uses, never replaced

then comes the fun
LG 6000 - replaced 1x (it's broken in half now, got crushed by a tv during a move)
LG 6200 - Replaced 10x in 9 Months.. EVERY problem in the book
LG 9800 - (or whatever the V is, not En-V) replaced 2x (one was my dad that broke it at work when he used it)
Moto Razr v3m - replaced 4x. Again for various things.. These were all software though as compared to LGs were more physical

And now... BB 8100 - replaced 1x for 2 reasons :P

My ipod has also been replaced 2x now...
One was a software failure I didn't really know about... the 2nd was it got left in my truck for 4 days in January, and for whatever reason it just killed it dead.

GO ME!... I think?

I'm going to be an electronics tester when I grow up ;) If I can't break it, NO one can!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #47
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Good luck...
Not sure anyone here (least of all those trying) can help you.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #48
mizditz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Good luck...
Not sure anyone here (least of all those trying) can help you.
lol thanks. I agree with you as well.
Right now it's out of pretty much anyones hands... All I can do is sit and wait, continue to try and use my BB until my new one comes in, and then see what happens from there... I'm going to be calling tmobile here again shortly and discussing this with them as well. I will let you guys know what they say. I'm assuming it wont be much more than "well there's a phone being sent to you, we will see if the problem persists at that time"

-edit-
On the phone with them now w00! I'm currently on hold, and getting two radio stations at once =)

Last edited by mizditz101; 03-21-2008 at 08:31 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #49
mizditz101

Default Update part 2!

This lady I talked to seemed to think that a handheld wipe would do the trick..
So I still am a little skeptical as I sit here now doing my restore...

We'll see if this works. If not, well I have their number on my redial
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #50
CellSiteEng

Model: 8300
PIN: Just ask!
Carrier: Cingular/ at&t
Default SMS issue

Looks like your SMS class in the HLR might be incorrect. I am a Cell Site Engineer for Cingular/at&t. I have heard of this before, it happens during provisioning of your BB. I am not a provisioning Eng though, I work on the Cell Site equipment.

Last edited by CellSiteEng; 03-21-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #51
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Welcome CellSiteEng

I work cellular sales for ATT

hope I can learn some stuff from your world as engineer
Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #52
mizditz101

Welcome CellSiteEng =)

The only thing about it being a provisioning thing (while although possible, I'm up for any suggestions) why would it only start doing it after a month of owning it, whereas up until the last, lets say week even, it has been completely stable?

We did the wipe handheld, and I started texting again. I haven't noticed that flat STOP of delivery, but now they just send a lot slower than they did before.
I use my phone most past 6pm here, so I wont know for sure if it happens again until the 6pm-9am range. I have noticed it at all times of day though as well, but because I don't text as much during the day, it's harder to duplicate right now :P
Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #53
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizditz101 View Post
Welcome CellSiteEng =)

The only thing about it being a provisioning thing (while although possible, I'm up for any suggestions) why would it only start doing it after a month of owning it, whereas up until the last, lets say week even, it has been completely stable?

We did the wipe handheld, and I started texting again. I haven't noticed that flat STOP of delivery, but now they just send a lot slower than they did before.
I use my phone most past 6pm here, so I wont know for sure if it happens again until the 6pm-9am range. I have noticed it at all times of day though as well, but because I don't text as much during the day, it's harder to duplicate right now :P
It may have been "fat fingered" while someone at T-Mobile was troubleshooting for you-not saying it's a frequent occurance, but it could happen.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #54
CellSiteEng

What is taking a long time to send? SMS or MMS?

Maybe I should explain how GSM networks work when it comes to provisioning and activation. I am a little rusty as provisioning is not my job but was part of my GSM overview class 6 years ago when we went GSM. I can also go by how things work on our network but I am pretty sure it is almost standard for most companies.
When a phone gets activated, whether BB, Palm, any phone really, it goes through many different systems. The screen that sales, CS, ect, use is a generic program used for activation. From there the activation data has to go to multiple "nodes" within the network. Sometimes resets to your account, changes to your account (add feature, delete feature, etc) causes a new download to the "nodes" updating your network profile. Sometimes due to nodes, large amounts of activations, network issues, communications between the different nodes and platforms, the user data on your account does not migrate properly to all the nodes. Most of the time only certain depts in cellular companies have access to the actual "nodes" to verify the user info is actually existant/correct. It may show to a normal sales/CS rep that the feature is correct and provisioned correctly but that just showes that the feature was added, etc. It does not show however if the nodes received the info and if it did it may not have received it correctly.

On the other hand it could be the site that you are logged onto. This is another possibility. That would be another long explaination on how that is possible.

Last edited by CellSiteEng; 03-21-2008 at 07:44 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #55
mizditz101

@ ndub33 - Are you talking about them monitoring it today being the reason it's sending slow now? That is possible... Because I've called 2x for the same problem now, I'm sure they're like "" lol

@ CellSiteEng
It's SMS that is taking a long time to send. I haven't sent an MMS in recent weeks, but I don't use MMS half as much as I do SMS. MMS I know is slower, and I expect that.
At the moment (I just tested sending both a picture and a text) the SMS takes LONGER to send than the MMS does. (as far as going to a check mark, not a delivery)

Last edited by mizditz101; 03-21-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #56
CellSiteEng

Are you always around the same area when it takes a long time to send? Where you use you BB do you know if it is 850 or 1900 GSM?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #57
mizditz101

I haven't really left in the last 3 days to go anywhere, and if I have I haven't texted, so I've noticed it most all throughout my house.
And now you're asking hard questions!!

Looking at the T-Mobile website it's saying 850 is roaming, which is making me lean towards 1900.. But I don't know at all.

I do know that all throughout my house (except for one pocket) I'm 4-5 bars on EDGE lol
Currently I'm switching between 2 and 4... but my computer does weird things to all phones...
Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #58
CellSiteEng

Chances are you are on 1900 MHz. T-Mobile in most markets only have 1900 licenses.
This is the thing, next time you travel far enough to be on a different site try to send a SMS to see if it is faster. If it sends faster on a different site then it is probably an issue with the data fill of the BCCH (the control channel) on the site/sector you home is covered by. Many things in the data fill/ site config/etc could cause your problem. They may not have enough "time slots" on the control channel overhead messaging to handle SMS's quickly on that site. If this is the reason, which only an RF/System Performance Engineer for T-Mobile would be able to verify, it is due to frequency restrictions on that site. Again, that would be a lot of reasons for this also.

8700c (BES) and 8300 (BIS) both w/ Field Test Mode
Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #59
mizditz101

The only thing that makes me still wonder is the fact that it was totally fine until this month.. even this week even.

Between February and lest say last monday, I NEVER had a problem, and then all of a sudden... BAM it dies every so often *shrugs*
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #60
CellSiteEng

I don't think is your phone unless a setting is messed up. Look in the options menu then SMS. Tell me what your fields display. Maybe the options are messed up.

8700c (BES) and 8300 (BIS) both w/ Field Test Mode
Closed Thread