Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Goodbye

Please Login to Remove!

I enjoyed this Forum while it lasted [for me]. I especially enjoyed detailed discussion about all aspects of the Pearl, from getting something to work to accessorizing it.

What I did NOT like are the mean-spirited posts by some members and that they apparently can get away with it.

I don't get it. We are all on here voluntarily, meaning that we come here by choice. We don't get paid for our efforts, nor do Members have to pay to belong. These facts in mind, why do some Members feel it is OK to spit on other Members with caustic comments, ridicule and mean-spirited posts?

I have spent a lot of time on these boards because I am able to. In return for what I feel are helpful posts, Members have called me: old, a loser, dumb, stupid, and wasteful.

Until recently my job demanded 24/7 commitment; I worked in the federal legal system. I am getting out of the business because I had no personal life. Life was in fact passing me by. So, in winding down I have been on light duty and using some hard-earned vacation. Hence my ability to spend time on fun things, like the Internet, and until recently, BB Forums

Being a federal litigator, it is not in my nature to take insults laying down so it has been more and more difficult to turn the other cheek and not get into it with those Members who have been snide and/or condescending on this Forum.

Given the above the environment on BB Forums I can 1) ignore the insults [hard for me to do]; 2) dish it right back [that's immature and detracts from BBForums' raison d’ętre]; or 3) just leave [aka take my ball and go home].

I am choosing door number three because BB Forums is no longer fun or interesting. Simply put, I don't like logging on and wondering if someone has posted a snide or rude remark about one of my posts or attacked me personally.

It's too much to expect anything to happen to the rude Members. Fact is, they will always be lurking in the background, ready to slap someone in between their gulps of beer and spitting tobacco juice.

In a way this is a blessing in disguise because I have been spending too much time on BB Forums, albeit the Net will be where I launch my new business venture, so it's not that weird that I am at a PC much of a 24 hour day.

Well, on to other things. To any of you reading this, thanks. The ironic thing is that the people who should be reading this probably won't.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
diginixy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E90
PIN: 241EE8C0
Carrier: The T-Mob
Smile

I hate to see a valued member of the community go. Nearly 600 posts of useful info and all the mod can say is "please don't double post" as a farewell. You have helped me here at BBF and for that I thank you. I wish you good luck in your future endeavors and your newly found social life
Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I think you're over-reacting. The internet is full of people who can and do say things because they'd never have the balls to say them to your face...so you see many more "You're a moron!!" or "You don't know S&#T!!" comments than you would ever see in an in-person group. That being said...without the internet a group like this, with the information exchange and global reach would be impossible. Bottom line..you take the good with the bad (no Facts of Life pun intended). Most message boards allow you to block certain usernames so it's as if they don't exist. This one should be no different. Turn that feature on and block the people you don't want to see. The price of admission means you're going to have to put up with some garbage in order to get the value.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginixy
I hate to see a valued member of the community go. Nearly 600 posts of useful info and all the mod can say is "please don't double post" as a farewell. You have helped me here at BBF and for that I thank you. I wish you good luck in your future endeavors and your newly found social life
Awww.... though I agree with you, mods are here to implement rules and that's one of the rules -- sad to say.

Though it is sad to see a member go especially if he or she has so much to give, this is all we can do -- just be sad.

SanFrancisco - I once did left. There was that one time that I got offended by somebody here and thought that it was mean and stupid. But you know what? Now? I don't even remember it because it really didn't matter. Sometimes, our feelings get hurt and we get offended by other members or people outside this forum, but that is what life is. You can't plesae everybody's and not everybody going to like what you have to share. They might find it funny, stupid or just be plain numb about it. But you know what? Just be yourself and ignore the rude remarks. It doesn't belittle you and you should not let it.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't buy branded clothes, nice expensive cars, designers clothes and anything expensive. Because to me, people who buy those, are there to please people who they don't like and probably hate. My point is, be yourself and be the best you can be to help other members in the forum. If somebody will make a rude comment, let it be. Read it once, ignore it and move to the next thread.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
snowskier79

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt
Awww.... though I agree with you, mods are here to implement rules and that's one of the rules -- sad to say. . .

My point is, be yourself and be the best you can be to help other members in the forum. If somebody will make a rude comment, let it be. Read it once, ignore it and move to the next thread.

Good luck!
Very true, great quote ccatt! That is about all I strive to do here.

Couldn't agree more on the double post, rules are rules.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Negativity towards other members isn't largely tolerated amongst the team of mods. I don't recall seeing the posts that you describe, and it's possible that others haven't either.

I, for one, don't frequent the Pearl forum like others do, but there are tools in place to help you with these problems.

For example, the "report bad post" button (exclaimation point at the bottom of each post). That sends a PM to all the mods. Many times, we don't even SEE the issue at hand. I don't recall ever seeing these PMs regarding your complaints.

Another option would be to PM mods directly.

We can't see every problem, have lives of our own, and have a tough time overseeing every little detail.

I'm sorry you feel slighted, but unless someone brings it to our attention, we can't know to do anything about it unless we happen upon it ourselves.

As stated above, it is, afterall, the internet. You need to have a thick skin to participate in it, thanks to the anonymity these Forums provide. If you can't take it, you're right...you should probably look elsewhere. Many take themselves too seriously in a place like this, and need to remember how unimportant a post on the internet is in the grand scheme of things.

I'm also disappointed that your parting shot to "rude members" is as equally stereotypical and degenerate as the terms you've suggested are causing you to leave. Way to be mature about it.

If you want to see what real flaming is, try being a mod for a while...

All that said, I'm sorry to see you go. Should you ever decide to return, I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Last edited by Pizzle; 11-16-2006 at 05:15 PM..
Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Sad to see anyone go. Anyhow, these rules were created in hopes that we can curb what is happening here at the forums. Hopefully you will think otherwise and decide to stay:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...uncements.html
Old 11-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

rude members are just pathetic... have a good one bud!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Here's a thought...

If it's not healthy for you to hang at a site - you should leave. If you feel worse about yourself after participating at a site - you should leave. It's just not worth the aggravation. At the end of the day, your mental health is more important than any site.

I don't post nearly as much anymore and I'm much happier that way.

If your returning to check for some rude nasty remark, you're doing it wrong.. forget about it, then you'll enjoy the site more.

fwiw.. I haven't been here long but enjoy reading your posts. Take a break then come back if you feel up to it... or not.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Sorry to see you go. I actually liked reading your posts... and it's unfortunate that you found your BlackBerry Forums experience to be not so great. All forums will have people that aren't mature but then again all forums also have those who contribute and are valuable. Then there's the n00b factor but that's another story on it's own

All in all you've helped me a couple times with the info you posted so for that I say thanks. Hopefully you'll make your way back here... I've checked out some of the other forums for BlackBerry and I've found this one to be the best one. People here are very helpful, knowledgable & it's a well rounded bunch.

if you do come back don't let frustration or posts from others get you down. In the end we're all here to learn, share info and most of all have fun. It's natural that something may offend you or hurt your feelings but it's best to just let it be and move on. I'm sure there are many people on here who have had an experience similiar to yours and they're still here. I hope you stick around and if not then make your way back sometime. Best of luck to ya regardless of what you choose to do.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

As mentioned by Pizzle, just PM or report the offensive people to us. Obviously I (or the others) don't ready every post in every thread. I typically skim over posts more than a few words unless it's in the BES Admin or Off-Topic forums (or if I'm just really bored). Just PM us or report a post and we'll address the offending person (or atleast talk to you). Some people report rather silly stuff, but there are some legit complaints that have been addressed rather swiftly (although not always publically).
Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

[the goat]Have good moshpitting![/the goat]
Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I did not make myself clear, such is the way of the rant.

I am not disciplined enough to just ignore people when they hurl insults and snide remarks. As a prosecutor in high stakes litigation it's not in my nature to just look the other way when challenged or insulted. I realize my limitations in this regard, so rather than ruin everyone else's experience on BB Forums, it's best I just move on rather than get into "fist fights" on what is supposed to be a fun place to hang out.

Secondly, it makes no sense to hang around a hostile environment. Yes, all Forums have trailer trash mental slobs lurking about and I realize that some Site owners and mods can't police the boards or discipline members, especially since there are differing opinions on what constitutes proper behavior or violation of the rules.

For example, as pointed out in here, on my post in here and in the 8100 section, one Mod simply said "don't double post." Some people might think that was a curt response, while others will opine that rules are rules and I broke the rules, so a public warning was in order.

Anyway, as we say in the law, I have no standing to complain or expect anything from BB Forums. I'm sure there are many members who support those members who have called me a fudge packing gay or old man who just likes to tell stories. [I dunno, but I don't think I look that old in my MySpace picture].

In any event, maybe I'm not cut out to be a participant in these types of forums. To be sure, posting apparently invites attacks every once in awhile. So guess I can just lurk to catch up on events rather than post "how to" or answer pleas for help.

Thanks again for the remarks and comments.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #14
Rolls Royce 1

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-mobile

Hey SF,
This is my first post here. But just so you know you are right. I am the same way. It's hard to let bullies and morons mouth off when you are trying to make a valid point.
Unfortunaltly this happens on all boards. People have nothing better to do then to be contary and build their post counts. Do what I do. Come for the information, come for people you like. Screw the jerks. put them in there place or report them, nothing shuts them up like repoting them to the mods for abuse!

Last edited by Rolls Royce 1; 11-17-2006 at 01:20 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
secrecyguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Sorry to see you go San Francisco. Forums can sometimes can be mean to you but you just have to live with it. That goes with any forums.

I just want to say thank you to you for all the helpful posts you made. I think most of us will miss you.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #16
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Sorry to see you go SF...

Try sticking it out and report the posts to the mods. I have reported at least one of the RUDE comments you recieved... Don't know what happened with it but I am sure it was dealt with by the mods...

EDIT: AND I know exactly what you mean SF... I recently was bombarded by some dude via PM where he was calling me a PIG because of my job... I got like 9 or 10 PM's from this dude... I did not report them because I get called far worse everyday that I go to work

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-16-2006 at 10:19 PM..
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
dwc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmob

SF,
You are a bit sensitive. You must understand that if you post a lot of personal information (e.g. threads about how a BB with a fire vid got you laid) you may be providing a bit more information than some folks want to see.

I also saw you make a snide retort about Jersey, as if the location of the poster had anything to do with his position on the topic.

I understand your desire to leave, and I think you should - temporarily. I think you may have been spending a little too much quality time here, getting a little too personally invested in the forum, putting a little too much of "yourself" into your posts. Take a little internet vacation and go join a soccer league or something. Then when you come back to check the forums you won't have so much personally invested in your standing here. You'll care less if people flame you a bit.

I do appreciate the great photos you take, but some of your posts are quirky. I hope you will rethink the permanence of your decision and come back to continue posting useful information.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #18
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: rogers

I would just like to say San fran you are been great very useful posts! It would be a big loss if you left. Just wanted to say thanks for the great posts that you have made and hopefully there will be more to come!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #19
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Don't know what happened with it but I am sure it was dealt with by the mods...
Just FYI, the member in question was banned by me, but as I said earlier, a lot of things are done behind the scenes and quietly. I left the posts as they were (you and SF both quoted the original poster), as I believe SF handled his reply quite adequately.

Needless to say, looking back through some of the threads, I do appreciate members like SF on these forums. Having someone around lending a helpful hand out of the kindness of their heart is more than we ask for from our members.

Last edited by jibi; 11-16-2006 at 11:10 PM..
Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Bye
Closed Thread