BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
VidGameKing
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Anyone elses NOT getting the 8800?

Please Login to Remove!

Just to let everyone know, RIM has shot themselves in the foot with taking too long for the 4.2 upgrade on the 8700, and not making the 8800 HSDPA/UMTS (GSM 3G) compatible. I've been using the Blackberry since the days of the 900 series. And tomorrow I will be upgrading from the 8700 which I own to a Cingular 8525 smart phone. I was hoping the 8800 or the iPhone would have 3G but apparently RIM's engineers and Apple's engineers are too stupid to see that 3G is a requirement. It's very sad that I'm being forced by RIM to abandon Blackberries.

Was it so much to ask for a minor OS update? Or even, when designing a replacement to a phone making it significantly different than the previous model?

I mean seriously aside from the 8800 having the 4.2 OS (probably) and it using a dorky little trackball instead of a jog wheel what is the real difference? I'm not seeing enough of a difference between the 8800 and the 8700! Wi-Fi????? Who in their right mind would really care about Wi-Fi??? Unless of course you happen to live in a place that's got Wi-Fi everywhere, Wi-Fi is only good at home, work, and maybe the coffee shop... I don't know about you guys but I use my BB in far more locations than those. Locations that DONT have Wi-Fi. The only other reason for Wi-Fi is syncing to a computer wirelessly, and even that is pointless. The BB needs to be connected to charge, and syncing happens at the same time. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area 3G is everywhere, Wi-Fi is not.

The sole reason for using a blackberry is to utilize its data connection. For communications proposes, or for data proposes. The faster the connection, the better the device. Without a faster data connection for me any new BB is pointless. It is no better than what I have now. And the only good smart phone available now with 3G is the 8525. I had written off Windows Mobile before, but apparently if I want speed, I have to go with a junky OS.

You know what else really stinks; it's that I've been a very loyal customer, even convincing many friends to convert to the BB way of thinking. I've purchased all of my BB outright without contracts, so Cingular and RIM managed to get the most amount of money out of me. I’m a true "fanboy" with enough disposable income to just go out and buy... Why would they want to jade me? I can't be the only one that’s feeling jaded by this. I and those that think like I do are a profitable market to RIM, and by doing this they've just lost that part of their market.

It's disgusting.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

** Moving this one too to Rants and Raves **

Enough is enough.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
VidGameKing
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

cool
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

I'm getting a 8800. It's got a trackball (which I actually want), thinner than the 8700c, and it's still qwerty. Granted I'd like if it were 3G as well as Wifi for both UMA and data, but I have to settle I suppose.

The one thing I think is inexcusable for 2007 is no proper HTML mail support. That, and the lack of a real browser.

I really think I'm going to get a 3G data card. More and more I'm pining for features that are only available on a full notebook computer. WM5 to me is two steps forward and 4 steps back. I've used the HPC2000, PPC2002 and PPC2003. No thanks. WM5 != notebook computer. And BB does what (little( it does well.
Closed Thread