BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
ProvingGrounds
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Angry T-MobileWeb False Advertising

Please Login to Remove!

For those of you who are not familiar with T-MobileWeb, it is T-Mobile's cheapest data plan and it provides access to wap pages, basic email features, and some content like weather and news. However, recently T-MobileWeb's port filter was fully removed and a PocketPC or Smartphone user can now fully access HTML webpages, use IM, etc... for only $5.99 a month!

Notice that I mentioned PocketPC and Smartphone but not Blackberry!

Despite the fact that when you log-in to your My T-Mobile page and select a Blackberry device as your phone the option to add T-MobileWeb service to your account wil be first on the list, this service is absolutely incompatible with the Blackberry! Due to the service book system, you will not be able to even access ANY of the T-MobileWeb pages or features from a blackberry unless you pay the Blackberry service plan fees ($19.99).

A T-Mobile customer service rep. recently told me that I will be able to use T-MobileWeb with my 8700g. That is false advertising!

My friend is surfing the web on his T-Mobile MDA for $5.99 a month, and I, simply because I have a different device that T-Mobile can exercise more control over, need to pay $19.99 a month! That is just not fair especially that they are advertising the cheaper service to me!

I reported the issue to the FCC and hopefully I will get an answer soon.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Unless it's written down, it's not false advertisement. They can always say he made a mistake.

That's new to me about they removing the port filter from the $5.99 T-mobile Web. I am guessing the reason they did that is because people were complaining about paying $29.99 extra per month when they do not want Hot Spots.

hmmm... maybe I should change cell phones now...
Old 01-02-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
ProvingGrounds

Default But it is...

It is writted down... When I select my Blackberry as a device, I get the option of T-MobileWeb. The description clearly states:

"Search the mobile web, find directions to the places you want to go, get local, international and financial news, stock quotes, weather, sports, play online games, email, community chat and more, right at your fingertips anywhere you go."

But it delivers none of that on a Blackberry.

I am trying to have them do something about this, if not I am going to get a T-Mobile MDA. Afterall, I need video capabilities for my work.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Those pages are not usually smart enough to filter features by phone type. Unless the feature says that it is supported on all phones, don't assume it is.

The BB data plan IS different because it goes through RIM's infrastructure.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
ProvingGrounds

I disagree with that as well... If you select a T-Mobile MDA the T-MobileWeb is not an option you can get. Additionally, if you can manually edit the service books or have T-Mobile send you edited service books you will be able to use T-MobileWeb (also known as T-Zones).

If you look at your device programs you can see the T-Zones browser that will attempt to connect to T-Mobiles's WAP APN, but due to the service book limitation it will fail.

Just because T-Mobile tells you it can't happen, that doesnt make it so! With enough "pressure" they will do something about it. Afterall, this is a software not a hardware issue.

Last edited by ProvingGrounds; 01-02-2007 at 12:30 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
southwestcomm

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

If you want a BB with data access be willing to pay for the BB data plan - $19.99. If not, get a PDA.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
ProvingGrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
If you want a BB with data access be willing to pay for the BB data plan - $19.99. If not, get a PDA.
I know that but WHY?

Why should a a company restrict you from using all the potentials of the device that you actually did pay for?!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Why? Because they can. Sorry, but there's not going to be a response that you're going to be satisfied with.

***Moving to Rants and Raves Forum***
Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is this a joke post? I can never tell ....
Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvingGrounds
I know that but WHY?

Why should a a company restrict you from using all the potentials of the device that you actually did pay for?!
The why was already answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
The BB data plan IS different because it goes through RIM's infrastructure.

Please try a Search
Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
trompi

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

It is not realy like that.If I decide to not get my e-mail through RIM and not paying a RIM plan,then I should be able to pay for a data plan and access internet with my dearly paid Blackberry!
Just because this is a making money model for RIM ,it should not limit the hardwareand is not making it right.If they want to keep it that way, they should provide the devices for free or nearly free.
What if you buy a car ,BMW for argument sake , and if you don't buy gas from BMW you will never be able to drive it?Would you be happy with your purchase?
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompi
What if you buy a car ,BMW for argument sake , and if you don't buy gas from BMW you will never be able to drive it?Would you be happy with your purchase?
Just my 2 cents.
I would only agree with this in the case that BMW didnt spell out that gas situation before you purchased it. T-Mobile and moreover RIM spell out the guidlines of their service before your purchase. If it is unclear than proper research should be done. You have not been mislead at least in published documents. What is said face to face is hear-say and unless taped inconclusive. In short, do the research, If BMW says you have to use only their gas, and it is understood before the sale is made, my thoughts than are buy Mercedes.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
I would only agree with this in the case that BMW didnt spell out that gas situation before you purchased it. T-Mobile and moreover RIM spell out the guidlines of their service before your purchase. If it is unclear than proper research should be done. You have not been mislead at least in published documents. What is said face to face is hear-say and unless taped inconclusive. In short, do the research, If BMW says you have to use only their gas, and it is understood before the sale is made, my thoughts than are buy Mercedes.
I agree 100%. It is known when you purchase a BB that you can only get data using the BB data plans. If for some reason you did not know that, then you did not do your research before purchasing that device.

Please try a Search
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Like Pizzle said.......because they can.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
Here is the what I think BMWs answer is to your BMW related question.

Yes, BMW recomends that you only purchase premium gas from gas stations that they authorize. If you do get gas, other than premium AND from an unauthorized gas station, you are at your own risk.

I know for a fact that BMWs and Ethanol are not a good idea at all. Also, Phillips 66, better think twice if you get gas there.

And btw, Mercedes is the SAME way with recomendations about getting gas or using oil.

Everybody has recomendations, I suggest you follow their advice.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #16
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I have no idea what your talking about, but thanks...
Closed Thread