Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
btoevs

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Angry synching on mac

Please Login to Remove!

After hours spent with Verizon and Blackberry support, dude finally told me pocketmac sucked and buy "missing sync" which I did. Worked for a couple weeks. Added new category in contacts. started deleting contacts. Then "5% of contacts will be deleted". I have followed all instructions, reinstalled software but back at square one. Will not synch calendar or contacts. Any suggestions as I am ready to go to iphone.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

I've never had problems with Missing Sync, even when syncing between Mac and and 2 Windows installs. Make sure that your settings aren't set to overwrite would be my only suggestion right now. I can't think why you might be having problems. I found Missing Sync to be so intuitive that I never gave the settings a second thought.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
matty2deep

Carrier: verizon

I just heard from tech support, that pocketmac will only work with os x 10.5 and higher, just like black berry media sync. Not sure how well it would work, once I upgrade to 10.5, and I think 10.6 is coming soon, isn't it. I had a blackberry pearl until yesterday, and always thought how stupid it was for them not to have a proper working desktop manager for mac users...I was told in the store when I got my storm hooked up, that it would work with mac no problem..and I switched my service from T-Mobile to Verizon, just to stay with BB. Stupid move it seems by now, after hours online and on phone trying to work this out. Should have gotten the iPhone after all..if it really works, I don't mind spening the 40 bucks on missing sync, but I read a lot of bad feedback, on doubled up contacts, iTunes playlists only uploading once and then not updating anymore, missing contacts, etc...kinda pissed that I spent this much money on a product that is obviously not quiet ready, yet. Especially not to compete with an iPhone, which is what they are going for, no? You wanna make the best phone, make it work with the best computer ; (
Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoevs View Post
After hours spent with Verizon and Blackberry support, dude finally told me pocketmac sucked and buy "missing sync" which I did. Worked for a couple weeks. Added new category in contacts. started deleting contacts. Then "5% of contacts will be deleted". I have followed all instructions, reinstalled software but back at square one. Will not synch calendar or contacts. Any suggestions as I am ready to go to iphone.
Go to your disk utility and Repair Permissions ... Then immediately reboot and try again.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
onepoonis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoevs View Post
pocketmac works fine for the little sync i do. when i connect my storm to pocketmac, i have to connect the storm to my mac first, wait for the storm to pop up on my mac as removable drive, then start pocketmac. this works for me and hopefully it will work for others.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoonis View Post
pocketmac works fine for the little sync i do. when i connect my storm to pocketmac, i have to connect the storm to my mac first, wait for the storm to pop up on my mac as removable drive, then start pocketmac. this works for me and hopefully it will work for others.
That never worked for me on 10.5.6 ... I went back to Missing Sync and have never had a problem. It has always worked 100%
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
larryw

Carrier: VZ

I gave up on PocketMac about two years ago and have been happily using Missing Sync since (from OS 10.4 to 10.5.6 now; Entourage 2004 and now 2008; 8830 and now 9530)

Mark Space has a pretty good troubleshooting section on their web site. As all these applications use Apple's Sync Services as the conduit, it will be helpful for anyone.

Calendar is the one that creates most heartburn. What worked for me was to reset the sync history and then in iCal, do a backup and restore (Entourage does all sync through the Apple apps). This forces iCal to rebuild all the pointers and sync works great.

Duplicates happen because of bugs in Apple's Sync Services (read the release notes on 10.5.x updates, "fixes" to sync services are a common theme); my buddy with an iPhone complains about them as well, and he's looking longingly at my Storm (stability and speed).

When I see the 5% alert, I look at the before and after. Often times its just changing the empty fields' "contents".

Never a problem with contacts, so I can't help there.

Also learned that everything seems to work better if I enable syncing to multiple computers.

Last edited by larryw; 12-31-2008 at 11:55 AM..
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Stradale

I assume that you uninstalled PocketMac before running Missing Sync. Both can't be on your Mac at the same time. If I'm not mistaken, I had to uninstall both and then re-install Missing Sync. Haven't had a problem since. I suggest staying away from PocketMac.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

And at the same time make sure Media Sync isn't installed if you're going to use Missing Sync. I installed it last night just to see how it worked and during the install it said that it would basically break the functionality of Missing Sync. I checked it out and fired up AppZapper two minutes later and nuked it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Tiamegs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Make sure you reset your sync history too. Sometimes when I have made changes, I have found it does not work well until I do that. You can find "reset sync history" under the help menu in missing sync. You might have to reset your isync history too in your isync program. This is all listed in the Missing Sync troubleshooting area.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Mike6912

Carrier: Swisscom

it worked from the first momment on, out of the box and sync with Pocketmac
I bought a 9530 in the US as the Storm is not available yet in switzerland
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
RCPCornell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I have used pocketmac for the last couple of weeks and it works great for me. I use OS X 10.4.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
nej1216

Default i cant connect my bb storm to my macbook air..

please help.. i cannot get my macbook air to recognize my bb storm.. ive downloded poketmac and purchased missing sync.. but when i hook up my bb storm by usb nothing happens help!!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
cyprus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nej1216 View Post
please help.. i cannot get my macbook air to recognize my bb storm.. ive downloded poketmac and purchased missing sync.. but when i hook up my bb storm by usb nothing happens help!!
I believe there is an updated USB driver that is required for the Storm.

See the following thread.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...torm-bold.html

Last edited by cyprus; 04-01-2009 at 02:06 PM..
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #15
milesbeverley

Carrier: Vodafone

Well I have used Pocketmac and didn't have any problems. I moved over to Missing Sync and that is when the problems started. Duplicate contacts which Mark Space helped me fix. Then it kept crashing when syncing notes. I was told to reset sync history. while this was going on I then noticed that 90% of my calandar entries had been removed from the Blackberry. I need to be able to rely on my blackberry and I cannot rely on the Missing sync software at the moment. I have asked for my money back and going back to Pocketmac. I don't want to spend my time fixing the problems.
Closed Thread