Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #41
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Everyone has alot of choices. If the Bold has you worried, there are other devices to look at. This is not a life long home purchase, here. It is just another phone. There will be more after this. Lots more!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #42
J
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

I know Greg, I'm just pretty stoked about getting a blackberry that finally has bells and whistles. Overdue, so I'm just anxious to get one.

I'm not worried too much, though the mention of plastic screen DOES throw me of, I'll not lie.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #43
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
You shouldn't have to. With the premium price that RIM is going to charge for this device, you would think it would be built with higher quality materials.
A lot of PDA phones ship with screen protectors now. Other than a really bad scratch on the screen, the normal wear and tear doesn't bother me. I look at it like a tool and take reasonable care of it; the "E" and <return> keys were worn off on my 8800. I know it'll be replaced with the next new model and handed down to one on my kids.

I guess premium price is relative, but I don't see it as a premium priced phone. Those D&G phones and "desiger" RAZRs, now those are premium priced. I do agree I'd like the phone to be well built, as sturdy as the 7290; I'd pay a premium for that.

Typically I keep my phone in my top pocket with the thin rubber skin, it hasn't been a problem. A couple of months ago, I had some business cards in my top pocket, bend over to pick up a box and the 8800 dropped right on its corner. No big deal I figured it hit the skin and was a small drop. Well, it was dead. The 7290 fell from the holster on my belt a number of times without a problem. With each new model RIM seems to get less ruggedized as more consumers are using them.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #44
TallPaul86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: 27A2D112
Carrier: O2 UK

Cannot wait for this to be released to the UK market on T-Mobile!! Been registering my interest for about 2 months now! lol

My only worry is the trackball thing in the middle? Is it the same as is on the Curves? I've read a couple of threads on this site regarding longevity of the trackballs - hopefully shouldn't be a problem!

And with regards to the constant references to the screens/cheapo plastics i'll be buying a Holster for this when it's released

Roll on upgrade time for me in November!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #45
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
I know Greg, I'm just pretty stoked about getting a blackberry that finally has bells and whistles. Overdue, so I'm just anxious to get one.

I'm not worried too much, though the mention of plastic screen DOES throw me of, I'll not lie.
I understand, I am a little concerned, too.

Both my Curve and 8820 both have plastic screens and no scratches on either. A littel of the usual dust under the Curve screen but I am used to it. Both plastic screens have a very hard coating on them as I have a friend who forced his Curve into the OEM holster with the strap that had the RIM logo on it. It did mark it slightly. I tried to get it out with Displex and it would not remove the mark so there is some kind of a hardened surface on this plastic.

Maybe the BGR unit did not have this treatment. I still trust that RIM will not allow the devices to be delivered with defective or "soft" screens
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #46
foner

PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

Early adopter here. I'm gonna get this device as soon as it is out, regardless. Ultimately the pros out way the cons.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #47
J

Quote:
Both my Curve and 8820 both have plastic screens and no scratches on either. A
You're going to laugh Greg, or not...lol- but my Curve 8300 has a plastic screen as well! Why I assumed it was glass all along is beyond me. I was on auto, assuming that all of our phone were with glass but the bold was set up with a plastic. Geez, how I'm so numb brained is beyond me!

I think I feel a bit better about the screen now seeing as I'm not complaining about my curve screen one bit. I see where people are pulling the "glass" screen from. Seems like it would be more durable but my cirve screen is pretty fine.

Quote:
regardless. Ultimately the pros out way the cons.
great point foner, I hear you and I agree.